PoxNora Mafia

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KTCAOP, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Poxbrothers

Poxbrothers Devotee of the Blood Owl

May I ask what happened after I left (hope that wasn't what caused the game to get stalled completely?)

Either way, I just got back from my trip and noticed that the game kind of just stopped.

Ps: I knew it was Qucas, I was right all along!

Edit: I would be down for another game though!

Sincerely,

Josh753

2. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

I posted up all of the story posts as well as the summary in the second and third post on the front page! =).

How the game ultimately ended however was that there were five town and three mafia at the very end. Two of the townies seemed to be inactive and thus it was effectively three town and three mafia. Given that there were no protective roles, the mafia could force a tie, and even if that led to a double kill or a no kill, (I still haven't decided if a tie should lead to a double kill or a no kill, given that here is not a person with the role to cast the deciding vote), the mafia would still be able to pull off the night kill and then gain the advantage. At this point, I decided to try to spare as many lives as possible (figuratively, and in a figurative literal sense as well) and call the game.

3. Poxbrothers

I noticed that and read it all through, you have some story telling skills right there, haha! ;)

But I was more wondering why people think it was a bad game, I mean at the moment I left there were some thingies off, but nothing major as far as I figured.

So wanted to know what went terribly wrong during the game while I was traveling all over, haha!

Also are you (or Commisar) planning on organizing any maffia games in the (near) future?

Sincerely,

Josh753

4. KTCAOP

I have a few mafia's planned, but not for these forums. Honestly, I sadly don't really know you all well enough to really be able to pick a theme and then run with it. I would be happy to moderate and/or create another mafia however, I would just need some ideas.

5. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

the problems people had with this game in particular were, iirc, rulebreaks, mindless spam, outside communications, and general noobiness (which is a given considering how many newer signups we had)

it was like a perfect storm, only i'm sure it could've been worse

PurpleTop likes this.
  6. Loyaute

Loyaute I need me some PIE!

I have a game ready. Fireball is working on one. Someone can start one soon and hopefully it'll go better.

Xinde likes this.
  7. Poxbrothers

Game of thrones maffia, oeeeewh yeah, haha!

Wait, we were allowed outside communication right? (just not showing administrator print screens and stuff like that)

Also, I was the Firk Sensorate, I think I played it quite well for a first game (as long as I was able to play) and seeing that Burn lasted quite long, he must've done a decent job too, haha!

I'm down!

Sincerely,

Josh753

8. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

best shadowmaster evah!

9. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

we were allowed outside communication, but just because something is legal doesn't mean it won't get abused/overused

as well, you have to consider that when the mafia lets a townsman live a while it doesn't have to mean you're playing well- it can instead mean that you're more of a threat to town than to mafia

or that they're setting you up for a lynch. or other things. living to the end of the game doesn't mean you did good.

10. KTCAOP

What about me Dagda? I didn't live to the end, but… I didn't die either :eek:

11. Xinde

Xinde Devotee of the Blood Owl

I'm busy with finals, so I probably won't have my game ready for about two more weeks. :p

12. Loyaute

Loyaute I need me some PIE!

I plan on running a closed communication game in a few days. Should I make a sign up thread?

13. Poxbrothers

But I did good, right... right..., haha?!

Also I did talk outside to the people I investigated as the Sensorate to let the other townies I investigated know who was townie. Even if I would have accidentally talked to the Shadow Master he wouldn't know nothing he didn't know already as the mob knows who is town and who is mob.
    So that seemed like a valid strategy. I tried not to give my role away until I was fairly certain I was actually talking with a townie (and not the Shadow Master), something like "I've been talking with "insertname" and I'm fairly certain he's a townie, blablabla".

Sincerely,

Josh753

14. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

Do it. I'm game, I just hope people from this game take it as a learning experience and yours isn't destroyed. I have faith. Closed communication is essential.

15. PurpleTop

And I never thought I would hate elephants as much as I currently do.

Emries and Xinde like this.
  16. KTCAOP

My question in terms of a closed communication format is how in the world are you able to enforce it?

For example, let's say you have a cop role, they hunt and they find a townsperson, they aren't allowed to communicate with that townsperson?

If they are, why is that the only restriction and how would you prevent players from claiming the cop role to try to get people to side with them?

If they are not, I feel that really, really diminishes the power of the role.

Most of the games I have hosted have all been generally open communication (which generally favors the town) but have been fine. In terms of people with their roles, I will generally give everyone a general post and then if they are divergent, I add in the additional afterwards.

For example

17. PurpleTop

Honestly you have to go by the honor system in closed games. But based on what happened this game, I feel like no one will have a problem following the closed comm rules. As far as the power of roles go, yes it diminishes the power; it makes role claiming much more risky and allows for a lot more plan-thwarting by the mafia. The roles are much more personal and harder to coordinate. Because of this, it does in fact drastically alter the way the game is played, but it does not at all take away the merit of entertainment. Different strategies have to be used, but "trust groups" can't be formed that often times ultimately ruin games.

If that makes sense

18. Xinde

Yeah, the arbitrary trust groups ruin open communications games, even for the users of said groups. I think it was Pokemon mafia where we did that, and then I remember someone invited Mirior to the group without letting anyone else know. Turns out Mirior was mafia. (It was an offsite quicktopic used for off-thread comms.)

PurpleTop likes this.
  19. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

that was a great thing and miri is my hero

20. Xinde

That was something that should not have happened. :/