Problems in the post office (Mafia sign ups)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gaverion, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

This will not start until after PT's game is finished and it has a reasonable number of sign ups.

Rules:
    1. Respect the game (this rule is a catchall everything else is clarification, if you are not sure about something pm me)
    2. The moderators (my) rule is law
    3. If you have a rules question PM the moderator (me), do not post your question publicly, if you need a rule explained publicly say so in the pm.
    4. Do not under any circumstance reference flavor text.
    5. Do not reference the rules, if you have a rules concern pm the moderator (me)
    6. Keep up to date with the thread (and post so I know you are)
    7. Do not spam
    8. Penalties will be made at the moderators (my) sole discretion
    Mechanics:
    The how mafia works bit:
    Extra rules:

1. Every player starts with at least 1 stamp (can have more)
    2. A player with no stamps must turn in their membership (they are dead) and can no longer post.
    3. Under normal circumstances a player who turns in their membership (dies) will have their role revealed.
    4. Every player has the ability to use one of their stamps during the night phase to send an anonymous message to another player. (note: if you try to confirm that you sent the message you will be removed from the game, pm me if concerned)

Everything subject to change, if you have any questions or concerns let me know!

Signups:

1. PurpleTop
    2. Darklord48
    3. Pedeguerra
    4. Pipster
    5. St3ck
    6. GabrielQ
    7. Dagda
    8. Kingjad
    9. Greysands22
    10. Yelmo

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  2. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

I'll play!

3. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I'll play too.

4. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

I'm down.

5. PurpleTop

What is the minimum number required to play?

6. Pipster

Pipster I need me some PIE!

Mememememe. Count me in.

7. PurpleTop

Also, did you find 96 hours to be too long?

8. Pedeguerra

I did, personally. We could probably just make it 72.

9. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

I would like to stamp it up plz.

10. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

count me in.

11. Gaverion

someone didn't expand the rules bit :p
    I agree 96 is a bit too long and I think it cause to some people getting bored causing low activity. 72 should be better was considering 48.

PurpleTop likes this.
  12. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i'm in assuming you hold off starting for a few days, which shouldn't be a problem

13. Gaverion

correct, considering you signed up

14. PurpleTop

Just wanted to stress again how important it is to read the rules. When people ask things in the thread like "Does mafia get to communicate outside the thread?" or "How many shots does the vigilante get".... that stuf actually affects gameplay in a non-constructive way. It gives insight to the game by using out-of-game context which is totally against the spirit of the game. I should have been more clear and persistant about it but if you do have a question, and you HONESTLY can't find the answer in the rules (the answer will usually be there), then do what Gav asked and PM the GM. I should have been more clear on this, myself. I put a lot of time into making the rules extremely clear, orginized and colorful, so you break my heart by not reading them :(

Additionally, I wanted to see what @Gaverion thought about me revealing the role options at the beginning of the game. In previous games this didn't always happen. In those games, the roles that were potentially going to be used were abritrary; they could be any of the ones defined on the Mafiascum website or others that the GM made up. This is usually fine, but it can be a bit misleading, frustrating and deconstructive to strategy when mods give people roles that overlap or have two powers. One particular game i remember was where I was mafia with KTC and we had it in the bag. We had a mass role claim and I played it off like I had a power role, when really i was a mafia goon. One player (Gaverion actually, iirc) was a miller AND another power.... which is kinda dumb. Not knowing that people potentially could have two powers made my secret get blown and it lost us the game. In general, on other sites, you CAN NOT have more than one power. You would either be the miller OR the other role. It makes for a much easier, strategic and fun game when it is like this. It gives room for counterplay, whereas if this rule didn't exist it is almost impossible for mafia to counterplay a roleclaim. I wanted to make the game easy and fun for new players, while still retaining the feel that the game is supposed to give off. By limiting the number of individual roles available i left the option for counterplay existant, while not overwelming the players.

I'm just curious to your thoughts on all this, Gav.... if you could even follow that is :p

15. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I know in PT's game, I should have read all the possible roles right away, then I would have known that I could have had a false positive investigation. I probably wouldn't have revealed myself as the cop at that point.

16. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

it was the smart thing to do to reveal yourself at that point, simply because there was no other option (us being in lylo and all)

the other thing is that, if you're putting yourself out there first (important) and giving multiple names, that can be risky for you/your team if you're mafia, thus making you more credible (the more people you involve in a lie, the harder it is to keep a straight story, makes it easier to catch it). if you were mafia, the odds of you getting counterclaimed would've been huge, and then we would have had a guaranteed mafia at least (it's very risky for the maf to claim a prominent role like that at that point)

as well, you get information out of the names they provide. *also*, given that you had more than just one night of investigation, it was a certainty that at least one of the players you named was town (since no one counterclaimed anyhow)

17. Pedeguerra

I wont be able to participate. Being around too much is making me grumpy. Good luck!

18. PurpleTop

:( That's too bad

19. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

So since this is sign ups, can I ask rule questions here?

20. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

yes

also, i think i should be ok for the next week or two (maybe a few days without posts, but likely scattered)