PvP - Why or Why Not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pixyrus, Nov 8, 2014.

1. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

To echo badgerale: It feels like there are conflicting incentives right now between playing PvP - the origin and core of Pox - and playing the single player elements which provide more tangible rewards. However out of whack balance, the ranking system, or the player pool is, if I could expect to gain similar rewards for time invested in PvP as opposed to PvE, my play would skew a lot more in that direction. For the most part, playing single player is a way to acquire resources to improve the superior multi-player experience; extrinsic and intrinsic incentives are in different areas, but players want each to enhance the other.

2. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

This is where I think you have always been wrong, aside from the bugs which you failed to recognise previously even with the current Pox client it should be simple to implement ranks updating in real time very easily, as soon as somebody changes a lobby or finishes a game - their rank updates. (a maximum of once every 5 minutes to save the server)

Gedden said as much himself in an earlier Q&A.

Also, I have 150 new players in my guild from the steam release, and one of the most "confusing" things for them has been trying to understand this terrible ranking system that we have, having seperate ranks for Rare, Exotic, Limited just leaves everybody confused until the system is explained to them. A lot of people were also confused as to why their rank wasn't updating, again until we explained that it only updated once every 24 hours.

Let me also make the point that the fact XP only updates once per day DISCOURAGES people from playing more PvP (surely we want to encourage people to play?) People go 2-0 and don't want to spoil their xp gain by possibly losing a game. Wheras having a live system encourages people to "play one more game" to reach their goal.

thetylerlee and WraithxxV like this.
  3. putoconcarne

putoconcarne New Member

1. Do you play PvP/ranked?
    - No.
    2. If you don't, why not?
    - Admittedly, it's mostly because I know that I don't handle losing against other people very well, which I'm sure I would be experiencing a lot because I am terrible at this game. Lol. I also feel like PvP is more about min-maxing and building optimal decks instead of playing around with rune combinations and themes, which is what I enjoy about the game right now.
    3. If there were rewards of winning/playing a PvP match, would you play it more often?
    - Still no, I'm afraid.
    4.What would you like the reward to be?
    - More gold. I feel like core set rune rewards make more sense for Skirmish because they help newer players build their first battlegroup faster. Meanwhile, PvP seems to cater more to experienced players, who I think would find the extra gold more useful than core set runes. Of course, runes are okay too.
    5. Should there be a cap on how much rewards you can get a day?
    - No. I was thinking the reward/s would be given after every game/win much like the rune rewards given by playing Skirmish.
    6. If the reward would be a rune, should it be non-tradeable?
    - No. It should be tradeable, same as in Skirmish.

4. thetylerlee

thetylerlee The King of Potatoes

1. Do you play PvP/ranked? Not much, I would love to though.
    2. If you don't, why not? My cards are not good enough, there isn't enough rewards for it, especially losers
    3. If there were rewards of winning/playing a PvP match, would you play it more often? Yes, hopefully for losers also
    4.What would you like the reward to be? Anything
    5. Should there be a cap on how much rewards you can get a day? No, The reward should be big enough that it would actually be a reward, but small enough you could grind it all day and not break the economy
    6. If the reward would be a rune, should it be non-tradeable? Sure

5. DaisyDukeNukem

DaisyDukeNukem I need me some PIE!

I apologize to everyone for continuing on this derailing, but I do feel that the information needs to be clarified here. I won't discuss the perceived issues with how ranking is calculated. That as been run to death in past threads; and would much further derail this thread than it already has been. If DOG feels there is a problem with it they will fix it.

However, to be accurate, I never said live updating couldn't be done. Technically it can be; and I know of several ways it could be coded in to be handled. The issue with the ranking system is that it is based on X people in front of you, instead of crossing x point boundary. Thus for accurate representation of rank it would have to be calculated and then pushed to all listening clients to show the results. However, even if it is updated every 5 minutes you will still have the situation where they complete a match see a certain standing; then within the time that they see that and when they enter the lobby to start another game their ranking has dropped. It will always be confusing to a player to gain 32 points and drop from rare to uncommon because several people gained just slightly more points than they did.

I am very aware that the current ranking system is confusing to players. It is still confusing to me in some respects and I have even seen and worked on the code that handles it. I do hope that DOG does fix the issue at some point; but if going by any of the other answers here and other threads there are certainly more pressing issues than a 24 hour ranking update.

WraithxxV, PhdNiceGuy and MentalMoles like this.
  6. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

sorry stopped reading at that point. But in response to your post (which I didn't read), I disagree with whatever you said.

7. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

1. Do you play PvP/ranked? No, I do not.
    2. If you don't, why not? Matchups are not usually fair. Timer too short for my old brain.
    3. If there were rewards of winning/playing a PvP match, would you play it more often? No, I would not.
    4.What would you like the reward to be? Pretty much about the same as single player can collect in the about the same time frame.
    5. Should there be a cap on how much rewards you can get a day? No.
    6. If the reward would be a rune, should it be non-tradeable? No.

The player matchups are a big part of this. If they had an option to only play someone in your own rank/level, even if it means longer wait times for opponents, would this make a difference? The positives would be more even matches. Drawback would be less experience. I would think a win in a lower rank should net a little more than a loss at the next higher rank. This way new players would not be matched against higher ranked players. Of course, this would be an option. If they do not choose this option, they can be matched up against higher ranked players. As I mentioned, people would have to wait longer for a match. However, this may draw more people to PvP play. I also think it would work if they could be queued for a PvP match while playing single player, and when a match is found the player has the option of aborting, or saving, their single player game and jump into the PvP game. This would help with the longer wait times.

8. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

What I wrote had to do with playing the game, a subject of which you've no knowledge. Funny how you always find a way to reply to me unprovoked.

Seems you didn't learn the lesson when I squashed your attempt to join the guild. So let me say it plainly: try as you might, not gonna happen.

9. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

1. When I actually do play, I play PvP
    2. Cause little rewards, Bane Shift balance.
    3. Yes
    4. Gold, runes, tokens.
    5. No
    6. Firk no

10. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

I was going to do the same, but in respect to these holy grounds that are the forums I'll comment: your logic is the same as of some people; "the game is bad therefore I won't play, but I won't just move on with my own life, I have to show other people how bad this game is."

The thing is, the game is bad and we all know it. As of now, the choices we have as players is stick to our faith and play this unbalanced, bug ridden game in the hopes more players will come and everything will be fixed, or just make use of our right as upset customers and LEAVE, because although I do have more free time than many people, it still is precious to me. Complaining over something you can't do Bane Shift about is counterproductive, annoying to other people, and just dumb.

Obviously my choice is the first one, which I will explain by going back to the topic:

1. Do you play PvP/ranked?
    -I seldom play Unranked PvP, but not ranked anymore.
    2. If you don't, why not?
    -Because I prefer watching games, talking to other players about the game, helping new players and guild mambers.
    3. If there were rewards of winning/playing a PvP match, would you play it more often?
    -Probably not, but players who do play completely deserve a big bounty for their efforts.
    4.What would you like the reward to be?
    -Honestly, I think more gold would do it. And I mean something like a 1k gold cap in ranked games. Gives people a reason to be competitive.
    5. Should there be a cap on how much rewards you can get a day?
    -There should be a reward on how many caps you have in this game.
    6. If the reward would be a rune, should it be non-tradeable?
    -No, because my answer was no.

And ragic, feel free to join DOOM.

11. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Can I join DOOM?

12. Lushiris

To join DOOM you have to be hated by - here I quote my good friend Jeeperz - The Skype 7. You can bypass that prerequisite by giving me a Ctharia.

13. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Well Burn hates me and H0spy hates me so technically I'm hated by some of the Skype 7.

I can bring this account and all my other alts.

14. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

The only sense the above-quoted part if your posts is that Ragic will fit right in with DOOM from its reputation.

You're on deck for ST council and so you feel that you need to come to the defense of the game from the no good meanies. It's a tired rhetoric, drop it.

15. Lushiris

Bro, if you sign a contract that you will abandon these forums right now I renounce to any future right related to any council. I've played this game for years, but only now I feel it kind of needs my help(which isn't a good sign, really).

If you think that has to do with council that's solely because you have never talked to me, or even paid attention to ST council voting.

And you disappoint me, using council to offend me was used by far smarter people in these forums and they failed. Try harder.

16. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I love a good old person argument.

plz D-rail more

17. Lushiris

And notice I didn't have to accuse him of anything directly or use any adjectives. I just got tired of people saying I'm some wannabe defender or whatever, while they keep doing the same **** in forums for years, thinking it's normal to insult whoever comes here with a different mindset.

18. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Saying you're not mad with a umadbro post is funny.

19. Lushiris

I never said I'm not mad, I just said I don't have to descend to your level to get you to reply, unlike what you do to make me reply. And I was mad like 8 months ago, when I abandoned the hope that my words will make you and other people see how dull this page has become, like many other pages in these forums.

But I stop right now, topic is kinda dead because of me(and you, but you won't admit so I'll be nice and take the blame) so I'll go silent as an apology to the OP.

20. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

This whole post is why pox is going in the single- player direction. Not everyone wants to play pvp some people just enjoy the collecting aspect or even making silly bg's that aren't competetive. The fact that we still believe the owls need to pour all their resources into pvp is ridiculous. Single player took a huge step in the right direction adding skirmish. If they make a more difficult a.i. and 2vs2 bots vs people pox will have a much larger community. The reason i say all this is pox isn't a game for today's generation regarding pvp. The wanna play lol doing the same Bane Shift over and over again and play with their pandas and fancy graphics over a hardcore strategy game.

Lushiris likes this.
  21. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I feel genuinely sorry for you.

Baskitkase and Cydna like this.