Questions About Faction Playstyles

Discussion in 'Training Grounds and Game Guides' started by dinosaur888, Nov 17, 2014.

1. dinosaur888

dinosaur888 New Member

Hi i'm dinosaur888 and I am a new player of Pox Nora. I would like to ask a question concerning factions. I assume that other newbies and I would ask this question also. What are the playstyles of each faction? ex. What factions excel at rushing etc. It would be a great help to me as to decide what will be my first BG. Thanks to those that respond

2. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

It is not that easy to give a good answer as some factions have fe one theme that turtles well, while another theme rushes better.

A personal view:
    KF: quick champs with good range and boosts/spell spam. low hp (start hp)
    SL: melee 6 speeders heaven, now with 20 sources of magic attack and still spell fuelled powerturns. "we got dragons AND sunderpedes"
    FW: "can't touch me, I'm incorporeal", "hey hey the wicth is back" and "break my bones and I'll get stronger". mostly for late game. has the most counterrunes
    UD: high damage little healing and range, mostly rush before the opponent has his defences up just deal more damage than you take, then sacrifice and deal even more damage
    SP: lightning tricks from moga swarms, voil swarms and debuffing hyaenids. good heroes currently. Lots of fun, but more relient on trick play than other factions
    ST: these guys can take a beating and still spell spam you back to your shrine very high hp (don't know much about the differences playstyles of yetis, jakei, lonx, strigs)
    IS: build em tough. High healing and defences, but slow.
    FS: pesky poisonous hoppers and hippos. they will use mindtricks (psychic/jellebrium) to slow your advance while they just drop in to your fonts.

3. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

For rush factions you probably want FS, UD or KF. Generally speaking these are the most aggressive early game.

4. dinosaur888

dinosaur888 New Member

Thanks for the quick responses!

5. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

FS: Frogs, Squid, Pirahnas, Mir Folk.
    Mobility, Poison, Water Terrain Advantage, Nora.
    (+6 Nora per turn. They can ignore terrain elevations with use of leap, have plenty of Poison, and Psychic Damage, and ignore water movement penalties.)
    A general faction.

FW: Undead, Skeletons, Servant Humans, Other Undead Oddities. (Also known as the counter faction.)
    Cooldown Reduction, Disease, Dead Magic Zone
    (Their champs get off CD faster -60% reduction after they are destroyed. Plenty of disease damage, and immune champs. Disease prevents healing. Dead Magic Zone prevent all spell usage inside them.) Can counter most styles without really having one of their own.)
    Great faction at an Attrition style bg. Slow and Stead wins the race. High level tactics.

IS: Dwarf, Barbarians, Constructs
    Anti Spell defense, Mass healing potential, defensive champs. Rock Terrain advantage.
    (The faction gains a 6 damage reduction to all spells that might damage their champs. Very hefty champs through use of healing, and synergism defensive abilities.
    A general faction, with a slow push style.

KF: Elf, Fae, Garu, Beast
    High Speed, Range, Magic, Vegetation bonus. (Grass, Dirt) Emphasis on Magic Damage.
    (They have a High amount of Speed +1 per champ in faction. Allowing for more ap generation, movement, attacks, and abilities. Top tier in terms of ranged damage. Most champs gain a bonus when on grass or dirt. Lower base stats than most factions, however a very high internal synergy negates that issue.)
    Above par, moderate tactics needed. Favor a ranged fighting, and tricky style.

SL: Dragon, Draksar, Skeezick, Arthropods, Other Mutate Oddities
    High Defense, Above Average Damage, Regeneration. (HP/Turn) Terrain Advantage Sand. Emphasis on Acid, and Fire damage.
    (Gains a 20% Reduction in all attacks made against champs of SL, High cost for runes mean less forgiving if you make mistakes. Advanced tactics needed.)
    Favor a Rush playstyle, while allowing you to be defensive as needed. Advanced playstyle.

SP: Voil, G'hern, Moga, Cyclops, Beast
    Nora control, Swarm mechanics, and tricks. Electricity, and Sonic.
    (Gain a % of nora cost back on champion deploy, and death. Prefers to either swarm the enemy with cheap champs, or employ tricks to turn a fight to their side. Uses Electricity, and Sonic.)
    Knowledge of basic game mechanics needed. Above par faction. Moderate Skill required.

ST: Elf, Lonx, Yeti, Beast
    High Health, Area Spells, Terrain Advantage Ice/Snow, Frost Damage
    (Excessively high health.+10 per champ in faction. Tough champs that benefit from Ice, and Snow terrain. Emphasis on Frost damage, with a penchant for very powerful spells.)
    Prefer an aggressive play style, a knowledge of game mechanics will help you in this faction. Advanced playstyle.

UD: Elf, Demon, Arthropod.
    High Damage, Rush Play Style, Lava terrain advantage. Emphasis on Fire Damage.
    (Gain between +4/2 damage based upon champion range. Favor a Melee play style, while using Anti-Range spells, and abilities for cover. Range gimped.
    Easy faction to learn. UD will teach you one of the most important mechanics to this game. Positioning. If you know how to position your champs, you can be ready to do what is needed when it is needed, and not have your champs die.

In terms of skill required to play the faction to its fullest. Imho.

Easy: UD, KF
    Moderate: FS, IS, SP
    Advanced: ST, SL
    Difficult: FW

Please note, KF's high internal synergy puts it at easy. Until you learn those synergies it is considered Moderate. Once you get used to a faction, then the difficulty to play it goes away. These are only about first learning, and understanding them. Don't be deterred away from one or another because of anything said here. There are plenty who can teach you the little things about every faction that can make it shine in your eyes.

Playstyles.

Any faction can play any style, however there are some specifically suited for 1 or more.

FS: Jack of all trades. Good at everything, excelling at nothing.
    FW: Reactive.
    IS: Slow push.
    KF: Ranged. Poke, and taking advantage of what you can.
    SL: Defensive at start. Very aggressive power turns to take objectives.
    SP: Slow & Steady with Swarm style.
    ST: Extra health allows for a rush, and slow push.
    UD: Generally you want to rush.

There ya go mate.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  6. TeaScholar

TeaScholar Better-Known Member

FW is only if you're advanced MLG high-level pro-status.

Because it is very difficult to scheme out how a game will be in your favor by turn 40, if you haven't experienced playing a game to that point yet. It can be difficult to know how to survive long enough to get said advantage.

SaintKiwi likes this.
  7. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

In my expirence, FW has little going for it other than Counters. Knowing what, when, how, and should you use them is the biggest part of that faction. That requires a pretty hefty knowledge of everything else. The tactics used by FW may be simplistic, but derive from very advanced things. To succeed in FW is easy. To excel in it is hard.

8. dinosaur888

dinosaur888 New Member

Wow amazing article IMAGIRL. Thanks a lot for the info, its very helpful. Thinking about going SP as my first BG.

9. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

10. TeaScholar

TeaScholar Better-Known Member

Huh? What?

I'm sorry, all I could read there was "Ballballer".

Yes, this is true. Ballball is #1 SP player all time.
    A fine suggestion, my young lad!
    Not sure what those other things after that are though.. Seems like some sort of sanskrit.