Ramp n' Stamp - IS/SL Late-game/Nora Gen/Mauler abuse

Discussion in 'Split Faction' started by kalasle, Feb 24, 2015.

1. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

https://poxbase.com/deck/cuiCkci2c4Jc5iCl4cfdCtnChuc1tcgBc1zs6Ls4Bs6wsas5hsjsls7Hs7usYr2qR5r3Q

Unholy Tomb is apparently nerfable, so I figure working with Deep Miner -- close to Tomb and more consistent, with the ability to cap 2-space fonts on the play -- and other nora gen will be strong. The main engine is Nora Mine, which also gets a tick from the Dragoleech. The main outlet is Mauler/Relay. It only runs 4 dragons, so getting the Maulers to cycle is a good shot. It's obviously missing a lot of top-tier goodstuff material that would make it better, but it's been effective enough so far. Requires setup, but being greedy with the generation gets things chugging. Once the full system is in place, the BG averages 40 extra nora a round: almost another shrine. This means a single font allows a Mauler deploy every turn, with some savings for spells.

Comments and suggestions welcome. Credits to Drisoth for drafting this with me.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  2. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

What pieces do you consider to be essential and core to the bg? Just the ones you listed in your introduction?

3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

2xMiner/Mine, 1x Leech, 2x Mauler+1x Relay, 1x Quickening, 1x DB. The generation, the outlet, and big power-turn spells to chug through extra nora for value.

4. doubtofbuddha

I assume you also want to keep it budget?

5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

That's more an issue of practicality rather than preference. But yes, cheaper options of similar if diminished power are better.

6. doubtofbuddha

https://poxbase.com/deck/CkCwxCjkc5ici3CdtCl4Ctnc1tcgBc1zs6Ls4Bs6wsasls84s7usYs87R5r3Qe3i

This was my first thought when not really considering rarity level much. It still only has 3 exotics.

1) Without paladin back-up I don't think that the NCP do quite enough. Elite Skirmisher seems better from that perspective. They hit hard, have better ability to grab fonts and if you encounter something with 0 armor they can potentially tear it apart. They also could be pretty easily exchanged for Scarlet Wings, but I wanted something with min. range 4, or dwarven hooligans but that is a rarity issue again.

2) You also seemed kind of low on real ranged attackers. Draksar Psions fill the gap well there being cheap with good damage and providing more alt damge for the bg. If you think you've gone a bit too far on the range attacker front I could see potentially dropping one of these for something else.

3) Running Bouncers adds a LOT to the bg. First off the synergy with your gravitones through rock defiance is really handy, and their ability to throw some control in and keep pressure off of your maulers is also pretty tight. I know you've accepted the fact that your maulers are going to be die, but the bouncers will help keep you from having to redeploy them every single round.

4) Garin adds plenty of utility and harassment ability, and his 4 nora/turn cost is much less of a big deal with the sheer nora advantage you will be generating.

Most of the rest is similar to what you are running. I did add in a Tactical Manual for spot damage boosts and to make execution to be even more scary from a Mauler and Tales of Valor for more potential damage boosts. Both of these are pretty cheap, so even if the unit dies you are going to be able to cycle them often thanks to the low cool-down. Also magnetize is amazing and solves so many problems, also giving you the ability to not need to run shatter on a champ.

7. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Seems like a good set of changes. Thoughts, in no particular order.

Tac Manuel should have hit me across the face, but I originally omitted Tales for a lack rather than anything else.

The increase in range is a good idea.

Might socket in Purge over Cancel.

Probably won't be getting the Bouncers, even if they are strong, or if I do, they would take the spot of the Skirmishers.

I think NCP does just fine without backup, as they are a Cleanse/Healing source with a debuff on tap -- I don't run Spear.

Might still sneak in Mark of Redemption, maybe over either Tales or Mr. Manuel. I hate hard counters, but being able to blast through Blizzard Cloak, Dodge/Block, NKD, and Blind is a sweet deal.

I'll have a 1.1 list once I marshal some better runes.

8. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Nora miner pays for itself after 6 rounds (12 turns), nora mine after 5 rounds (10 turns).

How are you gonna stall the opponent from killing you until then?

9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Not a clue. There's no elaborate plan. The idea is to play nora gen and win. This was a theory piece with a friend of mine, in part to see how many miners you could get out for Mine (KF would be better, but I don't want to shell out for Diplos), and in part to see how good generation actually was.

So yeah, no answer to that. You just play the gen when it feels safe for ~4 rounds and keep rolling.

10. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Diplomats are only about as expensive as a high end rare right now. With KF your mines could hit 11 nora instead of 9.

11. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

The other consideration is that Diplos are garbage. Dragoleech is a better rune, I think, and you get Relay/Mauler. Do want to try that KF split, though.

12. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I was just considering a circus nora generation BG. I remember using Dragoleeches with Nora Pearls to take away the benefit from my opponent in a FS/SL deck. Now I'm wondering how Nora Link and Nora Leech interact.

13. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

How does the deck fare so far?

14. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Been jumping between the /FW and /SL versions -- both feel strong. Going to need more play time and tuning, though. The Mauler engine is a good outlet, and the particular list I'm running has plenty of answers, but I'm not especially used to running either BG yet, so I can feel myself having to think about moves more. Plan to keep with them.