Randomness just pisses me off ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boozha, May 4, 2014.

1. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

I bought another box today, zero legendaries, three worthless exotics. The one before: Zero legendaries, one worthless exotic.

Randomness is only going to frustrate players ... Like me, right now.

2. MadCom

MadCom Active Member

Current model 100 times better than before, if you don't like it, get out. Use poxbox, grind 24/7. People right now....wants everything instant and for free.

oTruffles likes this.
  3. Boozha

Every point both correct and besides the mark.

Regulate likes this.
  4. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

$20 a box isnt exactly free

Faust likes this.
  5. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I don't know, man, I've gotten 4 or 5 boxes since coming back a couple weeks ago, and I've already got 2 LEGs from 'em, as well as some pretty good Exos.

Maybe I'm lucky, though. Besides, one point of data does not constitute a pattern, so feel free to disregard this comment.

6. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

You can buy 'em with gold, man.

oTruffles and DarkJello like this.
  7. Boozha

I've had lucky boxes, too. The point is, what is a new player who gets a shitty box going to think? "I farmed a month for this/spent 20$ for this and its completely useless"? Not going to have a lot of retention that way.

allyorbase and Goyo like this.
  8. Protick

Protick I need me some PIE!

I agree the current model is much better than before. However, the OP has a valid point. I play another game where you buy random boxes and the stuff you want you actually never get. This got people so frustrated to the point that most people just quit spending. Pox could easily improve this matter by offering Faction-only packs/boxes. I mean, why do we have to go through so much length of trading and whatnot to get what we want. Why not skip all that and let me just buy a pack/box for my own faction. That way, I will always be satisfied. This would also improve the players' ability to play other factions.

Of course this would not remedy the "I never get a good LEG" arguement. But hey, at least you're getting stuff for your own faction. And the chance to get a LEG for the faction that you play would be greatly increased. New players would also be like "Hey, UD is so awesome, I want to play UD. Look! I can buy packs/boxes for that faction! Yay!" instead of them having to go through so much trading from the many runes they're not interested in with the current way packs/boxes are being sold.

I don't know, just throwing it out there. I'm not a businessman or anything like that so I don't know how the current way packs/boxes are being sold would offer better revenue than faction-only packs/boxes, but it makes sense to me that faction-only would be sold more.

nytrequiem, Qno2 and DarkJello like this.
  9. MadCom

MadCom Active Member

So, you flamed anyone who said that current monetization models is bad, but when you get two bad boxes, then suddenly randomness for new players in boxes are bad. Hypocrisy at it's best.

10. Boozha

If you had spent any effort on reading my previous posts in our rather tiring discussions you would have noticed that I have always decried randomness as bad. Inattentive as ever.

11. MadCom

MadCom Active Member

Then give example what new player after month farming should get from his first box? Magnus? Sixul? 2xBloodguards?

12. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

There should be like a option that costs gold/Owls to reopen a new box.

13. Boozha

The average in shards he would get now, which amounts to about half a legendary and three exotics. He then could craft those of his liking out of that.

SPiEkY likes this.
  14. MadCom

MadCom Active Member

so, you want to get ~20 exos in one box? :D

15. Boozha

20 bad exos, why not. 20 top meta exos, not so much.

16. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

I hope after the balance, Legs doesnt keep being pure meta Bane Shift...

17. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

you were SOE's director of marketing weren't you.

Etherielin, Apostate and Boozha like this.
  18. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

What about including several ways of buying certain runes directly with gold, aimed to new players mostly, but keeping the extended boxes as main way of adquiring most runes?
    I think these could be:
    "starter faction pack" : with low rarity representative champion runes, that showcase some themes and are hopefully meta splashable, for example, for fw this would include executioner, ethereal soldier, planeshift and more
    "basics faction pack" : with the all time staples of every faction, for fw: essence drain, soulreave, mobi, serkan, unholy tomb...
    "theme starter pack" : with several theme related champions (low rarity) and specific support, for skeletons it woud include tomb lord, cloak of skulls and bone altar
    "X theme deck" : current ones (concept wise), a polished battlegroup with a defined strategy with high rarity runes.

Ideally, buying all of these in this order would allow to play a budget goodstuff after buying the first two packs, and the theme effectively after the "theme starter", with the theme deck giving the possibility to get theme enabler legendaries (like bonewing) and leaving out of these some runes that are needed to make some variation of the bg or some non-key legendary to promove buying boxes.

For example, for hyaenids:
    "starter SP pack" would include instigators and spearmans, among others
    "basics SP pack" would include usual support like alacrity and cleansing emerald
    "Hyaenid starter pack" would include pack leaders, mundunugus, feshwranglers and bulwarks
    "Laughing peaks theme deck" would include headshrinkers, witchdoctors, executioners and the exile
    Hyaenid stalkers, and all of the djinn synergy would be the motivation to buy packs/boxes after this, at least untill new hyaenids are released.

Mercer Skye likes this.
  19. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Random is the system, its not by mistake. But I think you should have a chance to get shards in boxes and packs as well.

20. Boozha

My point is that its a godawful system.