ranged dominace and the revamp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by theKraken, Mar 21, 2014.

1. theKraken

theKraken I need me some PIE!

With the revamp a goal should be the removal of miscellaneous ability and calculations. I think evasive and Reflexes are to often splashed onto a champ.

These abilities should only be used on champs that are built to counter others.

A general reduction in ranged damage would help solve the range trumping melee issue. If a champ needs more survivability higher defence values could be used.

2. only

only Active Member

good points, but bad ideas.

something you propose with Slam could be simply solved by inventing 2 levels of it. it would be much more intutive and easier to understand.

no need for that % of ranged dmg since Dissipate exists and once again it's much easier to understand/count.

I actually think opposite that dots should be pushed more to ranged champions, but their base dmg should be much lower.

3. theKraken

theKraken I need me some PIE!

This is a very complex solution.

4. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

I actually really like having to calculate Bane Shift out. Makes things more intense.

But I'm sure after the renovation, it'll be easier to do since a player won't have to consider like 743867563 modifiers.

5. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

If there's a solution to this problem I think it has to be more elegant than Razzoriel's solution, keeping this game balanced and simple is critical to getting and keeping new players. My only problem with "blind spot" ranges is that it implies an incapabilities to have my champions be able to "turn". To fit this into a functioning mental model of "what happens on the board" to "what happens in the battle we're simulating" we need to clarify time contraints. For example does a turn fit so many seconds? Is it fast enough that maybe turning could require 1 AP? Just some thoughts to consider.

Goyo likes this.
  6. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

i have wanted to see champs that move diagonally for a while now. that would be sweet.

7. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Some suggestions to selectively tone down ranged champs:

Linear Attack - This champion may only attack in a straight line.
    Attacks require more maneuvering and therefore more AP.

Dissipate 1 - Ranged attacks made by this champion have a penalty of -1 DMG for each space the target is beyond the champion's minimum range.
    Less severe version of Dissipate for less offensive, but still deserving champions.

Dissipate 2 - Ranged attacks made by this champion have a penalty of -2 DMG for each space the target is beyond the champion's minimum range.
    Full strength version of Dissipate for the most deserving ranged champs.

Bomb Damage changed to fixed amounts or reduced percentage.
    I don't get why bombs should have everything you could want in an attack (high damage at long range in an area that bypasses most defenses often with additional effects).

8. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Now this idea I like, makes it more chess like ^_^! The only issue I see regarding it is how you represent that on the range stat. Plus you would need patterns that are symmetrical to avoid making placement overly complex (like that 'I' one I can see being problematic).

Another possibility would be simply getting rid of minimum ranges.
    Yes, I said it and it is indeed crazy.

The main issue I feel with range is that it gives too wide a threat area that exponentially grows.
    Ex:
    Melee has 4 threat spaces.
    Range 2-3 has 20!
    It gets worse when considering the truly high ranges.

This would bring back actual strengths/weeknesses to running range and varying ranges.
    Long range champs will be good for supporting but absolutely horrible at soloing a font.

Another option would be to increase the disengagement ap cost.

9. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

This is an interesting idea. All units could have a weaker form of Dissipate, only becoming relevant with a range greater than 1. The Dissipate that we have now could become merely a harsher penalty, a multiplier to an existing penalty. There could also be an ability that removes the penalty altogether.

There are other systems that need tweaking first though. How about changing Passive to say "This unit does not have a base attack. This unit may not engage other champions" and putting it onto the champions that don't deal damage now?

The engage mechanic needs work too. Currently, when a champion becomes pacified it can disengage from an enemy for free. It should be the other way around. A Pacified champion frees up an opposing champion from engagement, but is still engaged to that enemy champion. The game currently doesn't distinguish between the engager and the engagee. Something along those lines, right? Along these same lines, flying champions could be free from engagements against non-flying, or they could be mutually un-engaged to each other. Lots of interesting things.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  10. HalfGodBro

HalfGodBro The King of Potatoes

also, runes like Frostwing Glaive...Hybrid Melee and Range, that excel in both...extremely well...well lets face it, this rune is OP

11. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

i know but wold still like to see it give him 5 speed if would be op