Reflexes >>> Reflexive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Prami, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

Simple QoL change, that should have been noticed long ago. Change it please.

Evasive & Reflexes? I don't think so.
    Evasive & Reflexive? Golden.

There are tons of inconsistencies like this, for ability classes. Maybe I'll make a list of them.

2. Sam3005

Sam3005 The King of Potatoes

I kinda like it the way it is to be honest. Besides, I'd rather they put their efforts into fixing other things than making pointless changes like these. Just my two cents.

3. Prami

Right, because making the game comprehensible is a secondary concern. My bad.

New players should just be expected to memorize the thousand ability names, with no associations between them. There must be a few dozen people in the world who want to do that, right?

The alternative is to tastelessly rename everything based on what they do. Evasive >>> Resistance: Ranged ____ Reflexes >>> Resistance: Melee.

4. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Reflexive , has a completely different meaning from reflexes...... feel free to check a dictionary

5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Oh bugger off

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
  6. Mercer Skye

Mercer Skye I need me some PIE!

Evasixes, 2014?

7. Prami

Don't be dense.
    No, it doesn't.
    It just forms an adjective out of the word.

8. Prami

It doesn't need to be done to all of the abilities.

Evasive can't be taken out of adjective form, without using a different word. Reflexes can just have it's suffix replaced, and consistency is achieved.

9. Mercer Skye

I'd have preferred 'cheeky,' but sure, whatever makes you feel like a bigger person.

But I have to agree with the notion that a dictionary tells me that they already are antecedent of each other. They don't have to be harmonic for me to understand that they're two sides of the same coin.

*Drops mic and walks away.

10. Prami

Don't use words which you don't know the meaning of.

You're a poor judge of what can and cannot be easily intuited from Pox Nora nomenclature. You've played the game too long. The associations have already been made through rote.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  11. Prami

The "Reply" button does wonders mate. More than 5 people have commented in this thread.

12. RedDain

RedDain I need me some PIE!

Reflexive: 1) self-referential, 2) any automatic reaction

That word does not work in this context... at all. Even if we use the second definition, which gets closer to what you intend, it still requires something, some action, to be a reflexive action. Reflexive Defense, Reflexive Block, etc. That's cumbersome.

The word you're looking for is "Reactive".

Evasive for range, Reactive for melee.

13. Prami

Definition? It means the word reflex but as a trait, an adjective (refers to a noun). Where did you people go to school?

No, the word i am looking for is definitely reflexive. Reactive is a less appropriate (more general) synonym.

14. RedDain

RedDain I need me some PIE!

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/reflexive

(Of an verb or clause) having a reflexive pronoun as its object; OR
    (Of an action) performed as a reflex.

You cannot just say reflexive and think that everyone will know it refers to a particular action. You must SPECIFY the action.

Reflexive Dodge or Reflexive Block both work, and are consistent with the definition.

Reflexive: Range or Reflexive: Melee both kinda work, sort of.

But just saying Reflexive does not work, period, full stop, end of story.

On edit: I've reported your comment as needlessly aggressive and insulting. You of all people get absolutely no slack. For all the complaining about rancor, all the kvetching about knee-jerk hostility, and all the handwringing and furrowed-brow rending of your sackcloth garments... and then, when you're clearly in the wrong about a very simple word usage that anyone with a basic education can see is proper in one context, with appropriate modifiers, and improper without those modifiers... you start slinging the insults with reckless abandon? Well, good luck with that.

Spiderchap, ProR2D2 and BurnPyro like this.
  15. Mercer Skye

I do know what antecedent means, thank you. Now, why I used that instead of antithesis, I have no idea, other than allowing myself be distracted. And I apologize.

Though I can agree that people who have been here a long as some of us might be too jaded to provide a proper unbiased assessment of the intuitiveness of some of the ability types. Being a writer, I cannot stand by and watch someone try and tack a definition onto a word that just doesn't exist.

This is copied straight from a reference site;

re·flex·ive
    riˈfleksiv/
    adjective
    adjective: reflexive
    1. 1.
      GRAMMAR
      denoting a pronoun that refers back to the subject of the clause in which it is used, e.g., myself, themselves.
      • (of a verb or clause) having a reflexive pronoun as its object, e.g., wash oneself.
    2. 2.
      (of an action) performed as a reflex, without conscious thought.
      "at concerts like this one, standing ovations have become reflexive"
    3. 3.
      LOGIC
      (of a relation) always holding between a term and itself.
    4. 4.
      (of a method or theory in the social sciences) taking account of itself or of the effect of the personality or presence of the researcher on what is being investigated.
    noun
    noun: reflexive; plural noun: reflexives
    1. 1.
      a reflexive word or form, esp. a pronoun.
    None of that fits what we're aiming for. I applaud the effort to make things intuitive and easy to follow. But i don't think using the wrong word for the sake of harmonics would be a step in the right direction. I just don't.

16. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

ITT: OP suggests pointless change, then tries to be condescending when people point out issues with his suggestion

17. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

TL;DR OP is Prami

Spiderchap and ArchersAxe like this.
  18. Prami

No. Number 2 is exactly what we're aiming for.

Neither Reflexes, Reflexive, nor Evasive are antithesis's (yeah... try saying that one out-loud) for each other. They are just different words. Again, that quoting things from a dictionary is futile, if you don't understand what it says. I think you've made it very clear that you don't.
    No one is attacking you Red, just what you wrote.

19. ProR2D2

ProR2D2 I need me some PIE!

No. If you want both to be adjectives, 'Reflexive' alone has a different meaning, and its pointless. Maybe 'Durable'?

Now... If you want both to be nouns, then what you are looking for is 'Reflexes' and 'Evasion'.

/thread

20. Prami

I'm done discussing this. Reflex does not have an inherently different meaning when turned into an adjective.

Reflexes & Evasion does work, yes.