Renovate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Karmavore, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

I get we all got one and it's kinda cool to have, but seriously 10% dmg per ability.... At least make it 5% or something this rune is still bonkers...

GabrielQ likes this.
  2. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

The issue isn't that Renovator deals too much damage per ability, but that champs have too many abilities. Pox is in dire need of a renovation.

3. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

No, the issue really is that it deals too much damage per ability. One explicitly stated purpose was to help against superchamps (in our crosshairs, whatever, was definitely inferred from an official statement..), but it just wrecks any kind of champ.

4. Imba

Imba The King of Potatoes

At the current state of the renovator, anyone not running x2 is nuts.

5. avichaif

avichaif Devotee of the Blood Owl

they r so good?

6. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- It's silly... not to mention people stockpiling them because they had shady alts in the wings.

7. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

I agree, 10% is too much even against the cleaner champions, 5% would be fine. And with 5% the renovators could get a nicer price tag.

8. RasielCZ

RasielCZ I need me some PIE!

They are about as good as dwarven sharpshooter vs regural runes, vs runes that are packed on abilites I had hits for 27 on UD owl

9. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Think about it this way, regular champions have about 3-5 abilities @ 10% that's 30/50% extra dmg every attack.... Not to mention he dmg upgrades he has or drive/boost/fan faire/banner/battlemaster/beastial presence/battle harden/UD bonus/ He's got a built in bullseye every time he attacks, I've litrally never seen him hit less than 20 dmg. Not to mention if you combine him with SP and throw Havocs touch/Zealotry on him it's complete and utter bullshit.

No offense to anyone with this thread, just a little oversight and it's a quick and easy fix, I feel 5% would be better, a champion with 5 abilities is only gettting hit for 25% more dmg, and a "superchamp" is getting tagged @ 50% THAT seems more logical.

10. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

You're going to get crazy damage for anything that gets boosted that much. Who actually spends that much nora on one champ with spot removals around? :p

11. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

You have a firm grasp on the obvious, I'm just stating the extent that people will go to, to abuse this rune. It needs a slight re-work and it'll be a regular non super OP champ.

12. crisian

crisian Member

c'mon, don't ruin the new special gift rune. we all got one so run it if it's so op. easy answer to the multi accounters hoarding them is make it mythical or unique so it's fair for everybody. but don't go crying op cause it counters your gay superchamps.

13. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

The issue is not that the rune counters Super-Champs. The issue is that it is hitting for insane numbers against regular champs too.

14. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

I was waiting to see how long it would take for a nerf renovators thread to show up.

LOL

At least they aren't 8 speed. Just keep telling yourself that they were going to have 8 speed and then you'll feel better.

15. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

This isnt me crying cause my superchamps are being killed, infact I don't run them. But this type of rune is very unhealthy if all wanna push for balance.. Lol.

16. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

How is it not balanced though?

And 83 nora rune with no defense hits hard?

Everyone has one?

17. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

Don't forget the meh HP and lack of any defensive abilities (almost any oft-used ranged has evasive/elusive or some sort of solo/rover similar ability)

18. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

3-5 abilities for "regular champions" is really too much. And the truth is that most have even more than that. Let me just randomly click on some common runes. With upgrades I count: 6, 6, 6, 3, 9, 9, 7, do I need to go on? Those are all _common_ runes mind you.

It may be hard to accept that this is insane if you have been playing the game during the last few years, but this type of feature creep does horrific things to the game's accessibility. Complexity creep is also harmful to actual depth as far as most players are concerned. If you find this counter-intuitive, this classic Extra Credits Episode explains it very well.

When I was really active with the game (spending hundreds of dollars and falling in love with the game's depth), the average "superchamp" had maybe 2-4 abilities. There were plenty of champs which had one or even zero abilities. And it was good.

Since then, it's not just that the game has received hundreds of new runes, with ever increasing complexity, but the "vanilla" runes of old have also been reworked to be in line with that. The revamp of the upgrades system did additional harm, by essentially adding another two abilities to almost every champ (and yet two more alternatives).

If the Renovator is truly a sign of things to come, then we will see a drastic reduction of abilities on the average champ. If this isn't going to happen, then frankly I couldn't care less if he is OP, because then I don't see much hope for the game anyway.

Changing the ability to 5% would be like giving up rather than to tackle the real issue, and it would instantly crush the cautious optimism I have regarding the new direction of the game.

19. hsssh

hsssh The King of Potatoes

I find arguments about how it punishes super champs hilarious. Amount of abilities is, honestly, irrelevant. You can make perfectly fine champ with 6-10 abilities and something completely bonkers with 4-6.

Super champs are super champs because they have good abilities, good stats and efficient nora cost. Making ability that does more damage based on amount of abilities completely misses the point of super champs and is going to punish lots of champs that are completely fine.

That might have, somewhat, worked back in the day but now we have lots and lots of runes. Differentiating between them only on nora cost and base stats is not going to work out.

20. nitebane21

nitebane21 I need me some PIE!

For the math-handicapped among us, if it's going to be changed it should be changed to a set number, like +2 damage for every ability. I do not want to try to figure out what 15% of whatever its damage is.

Shuyash likes this.