Robinhood and crypto

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by xezno, Jan 27, 2018.

1. xezno

xezno I need me some PIE!

I have been gone a long time and I am just crashing in on the forums, not playing the game. Not sure what it would take to bring me back but that is for another discussion.

I remember all the craziness of these forums so I am throwing this out there to see what people think of crypto currencies.

I have been reading about them since all the hype and actually bought in the first time about two weeks ago. Very small investments, honestly it is the money I would have spent on games really. Anyway I was shocked at all the fees I encountered which has left me at a net 0 gain even though I have done ok. So Robinhood comes along (go to https://crypto.robinhood.com/ for more info) and has really stoked my interest. I am just looking for a short term gain for the next bubble and then I am out. Good idea? bad idea? I guess it all depends on how soon I cash out maybe?

Also I switched all my stuff over to ripple because they will be on this exchange. Any advice on other currencies? Anyone really into this stuff with solid advice?

Is this just a terrible idea all together?

2. xezno

If this is breaking a rule, please delete this msg and not the thread. If you decide to try it out, this is my referral thing: https://share.robinhood.com/elliota48

Just throwing it out there

3. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Yes if you treat it like an investment, no if you treat it like gambling and aren't afraid of losing any money.

It all boils down to the fact that cryptos don't provide any tangible benefit other than tricking another person into believing that this thing is worth more than you think it is. It's a ponzi scheme with a global scale, and you can make some money from it. Just make sure you're not the last person holding the bag.

newsbuff likes this.
  4. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

completely agree with this take on it.

I had 20% of my cash in bitcoin until the recent plunge. Sold off half my holding @ $13K, bought in at $8K. Gonna see where it goes from here

5. xezno

Like I said, I am only investing money that normally goes to video games and is lost anyway. I am just hoping for a second bubble to happen, make a few bucks and get out. Really I was looking more for advice on specific tips and tricks. The mining thing makes no sense to me so I am avoiding that all together. I guess I am viewing it like a video game really and it makes me iffy and I am unsure why. Like if I spend $50 on a game I dont think twice about it and I will never get that money back. I spend $50 on Ripple and I am like....hmmm is this just stupid? See what I am saying. I am psyching myself out I think.

6. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

That's because when you spend $50 on a game you get hours of entertainment. When you spend $50 on Ripple you get nothing unless it goes up and you sell it high.