Salaman Master Battlegroup Thread

Discussion in 'Forglar Swamp' started by doubtofbuddha, Jan 20, 2016.

1. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

https://poxbase.com/deck/cu2C5Ncv6CxQCxmCtFcwGc3XCjUcoHr2LrhrNrGrWr2ar48e2qE3OEYe3q

This is what I am currently planning to run. The two empty slots are the Salaman Privateer.

Upgrades:
    Berk gets Dodge 1 and Hunter: Wrath
    Fire Salaman get Fire Aura 1*, First Burst 3* (one of each), and Provision: Defense
    Salaman Soldiers get Poison 1
    Salaman Appraisers get Grant: Healing Potion and Reclaim Relic
    Salaman Elite get Commander* and Encouraged*
    Salaman Hunters get Piercing 2* and Precision
    Salaman Negamage gets Wizard Foe and Dispel
    Salaman Privateers get Blitz and Provision: Defense
    Salaman Trapper gets Lay Trap: Boulder and Provision: Utility*
    Slick gets Grant: Action Potion and Evasive 2

I am uncertain that Berk even needs to be in the deck anymore. There is a good chance I am going to trade him out for a Salaman Commando.

Tortun Land Cannon is also in there for testing. I am thinking Lotus Altar might be a better choice, just to provide further protection against opponent spells. I also could see including Soultap Garnet, Soulsphere, or other traps.

Thoughts? What are you looking at for bgs?

Leadrz likes this.
  2. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

It's strange that you left out Horn of order and darkmarsh helm, HoO is forglar's spot AP generation of choice for non semi aquatic bgs and darkmarsh helm can provide a much needed surprise spike on damage that also counters a lot of defensive mechanisms (assasinate ignores defense and does not miss) also, not sure if works, but these two with salaman ingenuity cooldowns should firk your enemy up.

3. doubtofbuddha

I mostly did not include them because of tightness of slots and costs. You are using equips to proc salaman ingenuity, and 30+ npra equipments have to do a lot to justify their use. Darkmarsh and HoO might do so, but I am honestly not convinced.

4. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

Pond of lillies remains my favourite font contender, I love it

Leadrz likes this.
  5. doubtofbuddha

Pond of Lillies is also good! The problem is what do you drop for it?

6. Atherhog

Tortun cannon for me. I find people deal with it too well to be worth the big investment. I'd switch the saved nora from dropping that, to running Helm and Lillies - so I'd drop a soldier I guess, although I do like him.

Leadrz likes this.
  7. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Yeah Gabriel, for some weird reason people dont run HoO on FS bgs anymore. Beats me why.
    That thing is auto for me in every FS bg I make.

Makorov likes this.
  8. doubtofbuddha

Yeah, I think TLC is probably completely awful but I wanted to give it a shot before I start complaining a lot about it to sok. But I do think Lotus Altar is more important than pond of lilies. AOE 5 Shielded and Weaken Spells is just so good for the lowest hp theme in the game.

Leadrz likes this.
  9. Atherhog

Any perseverance counter tips would be welcome

10. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Soultap Garnet works well for me.

Otherwise Fire Salaman has an Aura option I think, which can work, and there are several out-of-theme champions which might be worth considering that can get past Perseverance well enough.

EDIT: You could also use Trapper to set up Flashbangs/Traps in the most likely direction they might move or something.

11. Atherhog

Ah, aura on Fire Salaman could be good. May check out Garnet as well - Thanks!

:)

12. doubtofbuddha

Yeah Fire Salaman and Soultap Garnet are the best choices for that. I am seriously considering dropping the tortun land cannon for the soultap garnet, in part because of that reason.

13. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

the new relic buffs are 10/10 salaman aren't they

14. 4NIK8

4NIK8 I need me some PIE!

Fire Salaman is simply amazing atm, didnt get to test Privateer yet, but I suspect its awesome aswell! Salaman is looking really nice right now, even with the nerfs to ingenuity

doubtofbuddha likes this.
  15. doubtofbuddha

The new one is pretty great. I run her with Blitz and when you give her an Action Potion you can really easily hit 15 total AP. I guess with +4 from horn of order if you want to run it. So that is 19 AP. Add in 3 damage buffs from ingeunity: damage and commander and you get to 34 dmg for your arcblade. Granted this is an ideal, and something you are mostly not going to hit, but hitting like mid-to-low 20s consistently with her arcblade should be pretty doable.

On top of that with provision: defense you make her semi-tanky and salaman ingenuity: evasive enables you to move in for power turns and potentially survive retaliation.

So on the whole she is really good, yeah.

Salaman do not have a lot of ranged, but with Fire Salaman, Salaman Elite, Salaman Privateer, and Poison Dart you have tons of pseudo-ranged, and with a salman trapper on the field you are going to be able to activate these abilities a lot. I may quite possibly end up being proven wrong as I play with them more, but I feel Salaman are in a really good spot at the moment. The nerf was expected and well deserved (I actually was talking about this nerf pretty early on as unlimited stacks seemed bonkers), and the general buffing of FS Equipment and relics and rounding out of the available salaman champs means they are pretty strong, particularly with a no spells deck.

The only thing I would really like for them now, besides just having more cool options/champs in general, is a good aoe damage relic along the lines of Hive, Scouring Jasper, or Gatling Gun. The Cannon really does not cut it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  16. Skullferno

Skullferno I need me some PIE!

Upvote. The salaman power train can not be stopped. It's a steam roller, locomotive. Won't stop till it drops. Salaman are now the Macho Man Randy Savage of Poxnora. It will destroy all in its wake and leave this realm an empty desolate wasteland.

17. doubtofbuddha

18. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

So, two quick questions;

1) Salaman Appraiser is absolutely key for a Salaman bg?
    2) Any equipment/relic from any faction would trigger his signature ability right?

19. doubtofbuddha

Yes and yes. I think you are probably better off going full faction though.
    1) You really want the additional hit points from the banner.
    2) You really want to run only salaman to maximize power level.
    3) You really want to run two gold sand, as the regen + magic attack + crowd control is key.

This leaves you with not so many slots to play with in order to hit split requirements. And while you can get some good relics and equipment from splits, I am not sure that they are good enough to justify splitting. (The one exception may actually be SL, but that is because SL is kind of silly with equips and such atm).

Makorov likes this.
  20. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

Thanks! And yes, I was actually thinking SL lol