Sarnghavian Gladiator

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Thbigchief, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- What are the thoughts on this champion? I'm having a hard time with the cost... currently I'm running her with Glorious leap and Empowered offense.

- The only way I can get what I think is value out of this rune is to save AP and glorious leap her into a group of enemies (which is pretty linear and predictable) and then hope to get a big damage buff and then blow nora on unbending force and hope the enemy wastes more to remove her. Why unbending force? Because I can't see how to keep her alive to pull off this royal geomancer type of champ.

- Problems: If you don't get more then 2 enemies then the damage buff is meh...if you do get more then 2 enemies then guess what? it only lasts 2 turns which means unless you somehow gained a ton of AP your damage buff is over before you get to really use it.

- Unstoppable/fearless : Incite no longer gives berserker which is fine but I feel like this champ has unstoppable to work with the old incite? to prevent AP loss. Otherwise I guess I'd rather just have the nora cost reduction but Im prolly miss some cheese to take advantage of these passives.

- What do other people think and how are they making her pull her weight?

2. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

If i had her i would probably test her and put her away. I do love glorious leap so maybe try to get some with NCF duets for fun, girl power on the field bouncing around hitting things. but she is so costly 80nora for a melee unit with weak defense, hmm not sure how to use her really.
    barbarian & warrior gets no synergy with all our holy effects which is boring, atleast she has class:warrior and not zedins horrible class:knight

3. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Too expensive and doesn't really bring anything to the table. She's squishy for her price and doesn't really dish out damage.

4. Thbigchief

- Have to agree with the general consensus sadly. Short of blowing close to 80 nora on her in spells or equipment...which can turn a bad deploy to a game loss condition... I can't get her in and/or after I do...make anything worthwhile happen. Art is sick AF tho...

5. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

i saw her destroy someone yesterday. she has good damage, pounce and multi attack 2... she basically pounced in there and then attacked again. she is good.

6. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Not worth her price at all, limited damage potential, barbs already have champs with leap and pounce and what not. 83 nora is to big a price tag for what she brings to the table.

Hierokliff and Thbigchief like this.
  7. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Shitters make Bane Shift runes. Nothing new.

8. free20play

free20play I need me some PIE!

i can make her work somewhat in aoe based bgs that can take advantage of her invoke.
    but no matter what i try, i can't make her work well in barbs.
    thats not to say she's completely bad. ( as she's probably in the lower middle when it comes to power rankings with the new mid terms )
    its just feels like her good skills are tied into her upgrades and in the wrong places so you end up feeling ripped off when you do pick them.
    so how about this? we'll place her pounce on base.
    so now you aren't forced to pick between pounce, glorious leap and crushing charge which i think nobody can really pick atm while being forced between the above two skills.
    as for pounces missing slot we could replace it with barbaric assault.
    which ties into her upgrade slot ones brutality giving her more syngery within barbs and not changing her too much.
    so what do you guys think?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  9. super71

I'm usually optimistic, but it's just a poorly designed melee beater in a theme chalk full of melee beaters that are cheaper, have more utility, or do more damage.

All in all I'm not a fan of having to get my unit to half health to make it useful, it's a cool concept but just implemented wrong. They should have made it so it gives the next champion deployed that ability or buff when gladiator dies, or give it to the next unit deployed after gladiator. Alter the affects to make it not be op, I love things like pilgrims blessing, it's strong but your opponent knows it's coming so they can prepare for it.

Remove unstoppable and fearless give her
    Loyalty or war-cry, if war cry lower her speed.

Upgrade line 1- axe throw, reflexes 1, evasive 1
    Upgrade line 2- pounce, warchief blood clan, warchief stone clan

Barbs need more warchief, and for everyone's sake remove storm clan from chieftain and give him some blood clan.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  10. free20play

super i don't think barbs need more war chief.
    as right now barbs war chief is basically a placeholder racial for barbs til the devs can come up with something better.
    so why'd we hand out more war chief if its just going to be removed soon in the future?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  11. super71

I don't really see a problem with the war chief racial as a whole, I actually like the current version. The only reason it's bad is because so few units actually have it, the theme would actually be quite competitive if they had more war chief abilities and more units with the abilities.

12. Thbigchief

- One ... of the problems with Warchief is that if it's on too many barbs then it loses value due to the way it procs. Other issues being, Warchief: stone clan being the only real warchief (due to tough being powerful...but also a defensive ability which again I dont prefer) and warchief being a slow building crescendo ability in what I feel should be an immediate gratification mechanic for an aggressive module in an already slow building heavy faction.

- Sok has been very open to ideas about this issue which is part of a broader issue of lack of internal synergy within barbs. Barbaric assault is bad (the cost vs hoops vs effect dont add up right)

- Barbs and assault is perfect but we have yet to find a creative way to add that to the theme. Bastion of assault or something that works like Aid Defense but for assault would ideal. (When this champion successfully damages a champion with a basic attack, friendly champions with the same race as this one gain assault for 2 turns)

- Thing like brutality are fine but are just generic racial glue abilities, Martyrdom just feels weird due to the rebalance of exemplar. Martyrdom itself is fine, it's a death benefit heal on an IS ranged champ..just feels weird.

- Anyway that's for another Barb future thread....as for Sarng. Gladiator it doesn't add any missing synergy and the invoke is wonky and lackluster. Unstoppable feels on her kit as a remnant from when incite gave berserker and when Exemplar had it removed for that reason prolly which was OP anyway. So it could go if it's inflating her price. Right now she jumps in and dies, that can be a design that works if shes cheaper and when she does this it's cost efficient in the right scenario....This isn't FW so when we throw a champ in to die, we would expect some awesome results.

- So axe throw would be nice and Im all for it as a mini-barb type ranged hybrid feel for the barb module. Also I think ammunition would be an interesting concept for her and give her a range attack at a discount since you would not give her anyway to increase her ammo... So the champ would poke then when out of ammo jump all in. Then tweak her invoke to just do this instead....

Invoke : Sarnghavian Rage - AoE 5 enemy champions take 10 damage, friendly champions that share a race with this one gain +1 ap and +1 damage for each enemy champion damaged by this ability for 2 turns.

- this makes more sense since typically any damage or ap she gains from using this the current way is wasted since she used all her ap to just get in position to make the invoke useful in the first place.

13. super71

You might as well start a barb thread

1) I agree barb assault is bad

2) Pride of sarnghaver, it's actually very good and under rated. Engage range, use spell, activate resolute, instant rage.

3) I dislike the ability unstoppable, things that are hard counters seem silly to me as they were made to counter abilities that are too strong. They also typically aren't worth their cost because very rarely will I run into an enemy that's trying to fear me. Bonus question, why doesn't fearless stop dread ?

4) I like the idea of barbs having ranged attacks like throw shield, throw axe, spear throw ?

5) I like martyrdom, but not on a ranged champ.

6) I'm pretty sure the barb racial stacks, does it not ? I think they should make a couple new barb racials and see how it goes. The theme itself is actually pretty broad, and barbs can be played many different ways, but the war chief things are just awkward.

14. free20play

barbaric assault isn't bad lol.
    nothing a simple range buff couldn't fix.
    imagine barbaric assault with 1-5 range like murkwater frenzy!!! sprinkle it a bit more on some melee barbs and in one month i bet you people will stop considering it as bad!
    and not only that we could do the same changes to brutality,cooperation and other similar skills and the same net result would occur.
    whats going on here is that a lot of these seemingly weak abilities aren't weak due to design but low numbers.
    and because they've gone by so long without any changes..
    people just assume they are bad without any further thinking.
    in fact looking at it now, it does sorta make me wonder why.
    why sok hasn't yet given out range buffs for these kind of abilities.(and if you are reading this sok get out of that chair and please buff these skill's ranges!!!)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  15. Thbigchief

- Assault cost 8, barbaric assault cost 4 ... meh. If barbaric assault cost the same but triggered in a larger range or some other criteria it might be fine. Assault costing 8 is honestly too much so its part of the problem.

- Ok about Murkwater frenzy (4nora)... it has a larger range granting a more proactively controlled ability in multi attack. Barbaric assault (4nora) cost the same...less range and grants an ability that's impact is largely controlled by your enemy.

16. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I am ok with this kind of thing (tho AP per champion might be a bit much) since it'd basically be a mobilize in many situations in addition to the AE damage (note that the SP one doesn't have damage but buffs DMG and debuffs DMG instead). Maybe it can just be flat 2 AP within 5 spaces.

Will take up the other stuff when discussing Barbs later.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  17. Thbigchief

- Yeah I know you always get the idea... balance aside. Currently the effect benefits the single champ...but doesnt at the same time due to AP usage to get said champ in position. It can be a fire and forget missile type effect but she costs too much to throw away currently. My first suggestion is just a wonky warcry but either she needs to help others or herself. Right now it just kinda is a bad aoe.