Seism...from Cactuar's Crate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elric, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I don't like this, at least not as a replacement for Seism. This might be interesting as a new ability, but there's no real good reason I can see to turn Seism into something like this.

In fact, it doubles on some of the problems that Seism has (particularly its efficiency vs combat relics), while making it much less valuable as an anti-relic ability - so it actually makes it worse in terms of the problems I see with the ability.

I do appreciate what this is attempting to do, but unfortunately, all effects that target champions are basically AEs in terms of code, they are just scanning for champions. The code lets us sort them in RANDOM, ASCENDING or DESCENDING order, but functionally, it is creating an array of potential targets based on the effect area (which could be infinite). Theoretically, the code could be modified so that we can easily check for "global" or "AE" but this isn't something that can be done cleanly right now. At the same time, these kinds of classifications are very tricky to get right consistency wise, especially given the age of Pox, and some abilities will end up actually falling into both AE and not due to their nature. Finally, there is no clear way to really communicate which relics would or would not be affected like you can with Large/Small/Elf/Demon designations (this is also a problem with MANY Pox abilities, even ones I created, and it is one of the lessons I have learned in the years of designing this game).

Ultimately, since I don't see much wrong with the functionality of Seism, I don't really see a need to full design change it and introduce a whole bunch of new considerations when some quick number tweaks addresses my concerns with it. It's the least disruptive and the one whose effect can be most accurately theorycrafted.

Woffleet and super71 like this.
  2. Sokolov

I understand the idea, but I don't really want to add additional clauses. It's an ability that deals damage to relics. There are some nuances that makes it more, or less, valuable in certain situations and I think that's ok.

Right now it's just efficient in almost all cases so that's the primary thing I want to curb a bit. It's an ability I think could see more use if it weren't quite as extreme in its universal applicability.

3. Sokolov

FS should send a lobbyist to my office then ;)

4. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

I feel like my suggestion was better than yours, but you are ignoring it because it takes too long to code, and swapping some numbers around is easier. Not that I think swapping numbers around would be a bad change to the game, it' a shame that such a good idea 4 the game is probably going to go unnoticed .

On a side note, frigid blast at 50 nora is better than 45. - 2 speed, 12 aoe damage and font blocking is game changing.

Also, is wail and overload being removed?

5. Sokolov

Generally speaking, in some cases, abilities need to be completely redesigned, but I don't think this is one of them.

Specifically, even if I were looking for a redesign (and honestly I am generally open to ideas), I simply don't like your idea and I already explained why I don't like your idea so I don't know why you are saying "such a good idea for the idea is... going unnoticed." If other people think it's a great idea, then they can comment and try and convince me.

If you personally want to try again maybe you can actually write out what the description would be instead of giving me all kinds of speculative ideas on how it MIGHT work. Because the way I am seeing it now is that it'd be a fiddly, multi-clause ability that will either be rarely useful or end up being mostly the same as Seism is now, except vastly more complicated.

6. Sokolov

"Frigid Blast": I am fine with it at 45 and 12 DMG.

Wail: I haven't decided if it's changing or not, but no, it's not being removed.

Overload is increasing to CD4 and being removed from champions.

Woffleet likes this.
  7. DiCEM0nEY

I could do that if I have time.

I don't think it's bad complexity; it' the nearly the same as it currently is, only it would stop cases where 1 card changes the entire outcome of a mid font. It would also encourage players to use relics more agressively and more decision making in how relics are used for screening. We are already in agreement seism is slightly too strong.

8. Sokolov

You seem to have time to say all kinds of stuff about how it will work but not to actually design it.

This is one of the things that amateur designers do often - they love to theory craft and think about ideas but never actually put the work into refining the ideas into usable products or at least effectively communicating the idea to others. I could speculate, or guess, as to what this ability would actually do, but honestly I can't read your mind.

All I know is, you have proposed a lot of things, and they sound like this:
    • A maximum range
    • A minimum range
    • A damage increment or damage tiers
    Culminating in an ability that does variable amounts of damage but which mostly does the same amount of damage as what is being being proposed? But somehow this isn't complex/fiddly AND changes how a deploy against a mid-font relic would play out (ignoring for now, the fact that the mid-font's distance to other deployment zones is, itself, highly variable)?

9. DiCEM0nEY

Wail should not be affected by amp. At least make st pay 100 nora. 50 nora to kill all relics is too strong.

Also, I don't see why -2 speed, 12 damage aoe and font blocking is that cost....

Think of what happens when you have 3 and a relic champions on the font. ST has some of the best ranged options in the game as well....

All your champs take 12 damage, can't attack if they aren't close to enemy or ranged, can' t retreat, and they take range from shard seer, kento, the yeti thing, etc, etc, etc.

This is for 45 nora, 5 more than chain lightning. 5 less than anathema. 5 less than ed and doom. I just can't understand that.

I don't actually have a huge problem vs st is the funny part, but I know how it can be for some themes

10. DiCEM0nEY

Well I don't know how to code, so there's that.

But, who cares if the distance is variable really, it would still work to some degree, just differently on different maps, but in general would not allow a seism to deal 15 damage to a relic AND move to the font next turn (hence the 8-9 range + 6 is 15 spaces for a t2 threshhold?)

You wouldn't be looking at 20 damage and a close deploy on any map, which is what it is now.

11. Sokolov

You can't just list some of the things a spell does as an argument. That's not convincing. You can make basically any average rune sound amazing with this kind of presentation.

Woffleet likes this.
  12. DiCEM0nEY

I realize that, but I just don't see how it's not worth 50 nora

13. Sokolov

What does that have to do with anything? Just tell me how this ability would ACTUALLY work with a description.

Because it makes it very fiddly, you'd have to evaluate on every map what the damage will be from every deployment point. It's obnoxious. Just imagine playing this rune.

Whether it is different than current would depend entirely on how it actually works, which you still refuse to give me.

14. Sokolov

You haven't made any valid argument as to why it should be 50 other than "it's good." Why do you come to the conclusion that it should be 50? Why not 55? What is it about 50 that fits? Do you have any actual analysis on this rune beyond describing what it does?

15. Sokolov

Anyway, I am going to stop talking about your idea because it's all pure speculation until we get an actual design.

Woffleet likes this.
  16. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

I'd just like to chime in on the frigid barrier argument. Personally i think 45 is a reasonable price for the spell. Relocation abilities arent so rare of a thing that requiring it to contest the font IF the unit inside gets killed is unfair.

Things to consider with its pricing. It can only target font areas which reduces it's potential usefulness (damage wise) by quite a lot, & realistically if you've got lots of champs grouped up in a font against st you're doing something wrong anyway given how powerful their aoes are.

Honestly if i was going to change anything at all it would be the opposing only clause

17. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

In defense of frigid barrier: it's a nice design with tactical uses and a clear visual indication of what it is doing -- if any spell is going to be strong I'd prefer it to be one like this.

I wouldn't want it to be nerfed too strongly like fiery ambush was.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Woffleet, Etherielin and themacca like this.
  18. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Any chance if you could give Misleading Signage a buff to 30 nora because its one of the funniest runes in the game and I want to run it!

19. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

Could Seism deal extra damaged to summoned relics? Would that fix the problem with 20 hp summoned relics? Or are 20 hp summoned relics a problem regardless of Seism?

Vorian likes this.
  20. DiCEM0nEY

Aside from gale why is it bad to group vs ST? Also what if you use slow moving units such as zombies, do you just auto lose?

I actually lost a game using a slow move zombie theme because vampirino used 2 x frigid barrier, for 28 to 3 units and a relic, and -2 speed for their entire useage.

My units were positioned semi well to avoid gale, and my zombie catapult on the font so that it would contest if need be.

Again I want to say that I actually don't lose to frigid often. I just feel like it can be very powerful in many situations, and it merits 50 nora, not 45. This may sound biased, but if doom is 50, shouldn' frigid be 50? I feel like doom is weaker than frigid.

Another thing I keep in mind - once it is changed to 45, it is very unlikely it will be changed to 50 at a later time.