Sl and arthropods

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Taskumatti, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Taskumatti

Taskumatti The King of Potatoes

I've been on long break and testing things again now after the revamp. Mainly I see very good changes but.. Why has the SL spider deck been made unplayable?

Back at the day you were able to run krikkis, sunderpede, spitter, LOCUST! etc in the deck but not anymore since they lost the racial. This could be combined with UD spiders too.

Full SL deck example:
    2 Archnid, 2 Krikkenwing, 2 Locust, 2 Shrieker, 2 Sand scorpion, 2 Sunderpede, 2 Krikki alpha (+extra champs if needed like dragon engine) +spells/equip/relic
    Was not meta 100 but playable.

Is it completely out of the picture for these champs to see the ability either base or upraded? Sunderpede for example is a fun champ that seems so little play: you could replace the tunnel sand 2 with creep and crawl option. It fits the theme perfectly. It is the same case with locust.

That being said, it is understandable that Myx arthos are their own theme. Also krikkenwings can understandably be only part of the dragon theme. Though they do look a tad artho / spider like.

Champs that should definitely in my opinion have the racial either base/upgraded:
    Sunderpede, Locust, Mantid tracker, Sand spitter (seems quite bad without CaC being at base because you crazily have to trade it for domain:sand on a trail sand champ!)

Seems just like such a waste and limit to deck diversity to limit the play to UD arthos only. Can you lose something important by giving these (not belonging to any group) champs an opportunity to be in artho decks?

What does everyone think?

2. Lauremoon

Lauremoon I need me some PIE!

They should have the spider racial in an upgrade tree.

3. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

little history here-

originally we had two bug races. insects and arachnids. every single one of UD's bugs was an arachnid (that's what spiders are). SL's were kinda split between the two, it was kinda obvious that there wasn't meant to be much there. if i recall correctly, the sand scorp (while scorpions in our world are arachnids) was an insect, the krikkinwing was an arachnid, and so on. the majority was insects, anyhow (even though it was incorrect for, again, most of them). most of them were also bad.

moving forward, i guess it was probably me that started a push for racial unification- either all the same thing or not, but just make it more of a viable thing. so SL's stuff all became insects (again, regardless of what they were) and UD's stayed arachnids (but it's cool cause theirs actually were spiders)

moving forward more, i was like the one guy that played them (i just happened to be very loud about it). eventually it was decided that the two races needed to merge, just for the sake of cleaning stuff up. didn't actually change much aside from making the sl/ud deck a *lot* better.

i'll cut short- my points are these:

it's not a SL spider deck. the spitter formerly known as sand dragon is not from "back in the day", that's a fairly recent change. the theme itself and most of its champions need a lot more love than you can get from just one racial, otherwise you end up keeping yourself restrained by said racial. the SL arthros have always struggled in comparison to the UD ones. why? because between the two, one of them was actually meant to be a theme. SL insex was originally just part of the random collection of mutated Bane Shift that we had before i started a campaign to make something of them.

they're not halfway to where they need to be.

4. Taskumatti

Taskumatti The King of Potatoes

Thanks for the history lesson Dagda. I used to play insex a lot too (and this was period 1,5- about 2 or 3 years go). However, I used to do a lot of split with UD because for obvious reasons it seemed stronger and even did good in meta. Yeah, the sand dragon was "recently" (year ago?) revamped and the name changed. I did not mean to address it specially. Just saying it got very underpowered if you want to use it in a arthro deck. Sunderpede was cool like 2 years ago but it lost majority of it's usefulness and it does not have CoC like it once used to.

It is like you say: the UD side is meant to be THE theme and the SL side got the charity buffs the community (yeah mostly Dagda lol) supported. I hope we could get some attention to this matter again! Just hoping the coming cost revamps do not hit insex/arthos/spiders more since they tend to be cheap but somewhat weak unless you have a bunch out. I think it's just that the developers rarely remember the guys trying to play marginal (because of power) themes. You need to be a very good player to pull a win off.

And yes, agree with dagda that IF you want to play SL insex without UD it is currently even more impossible than before. It's just a bit sad since I think even the opponents enjoyed the nice theme. Occasional winning with SL insex was very satisfying. =)

Cheers,
    Task

5. paldirs

paldirs Devotee of the Blood Owl

Im having the same issue with ST arthropods.
    My UD/ST arthropods is my all time most fun BG. It mainly makes use of ud spiders mixed with summon ant, freeze bug keeper, crystal crawler and ST spell set ( arctic gift), with domain snow the spiders have as much damage as in full UD, but extra ap, defense, HP and mobility. The absolute key unit in the BG is freeze bug keeper with Favor upgrade.

Yesterday I started to check out poxnora again after the revamp and sadly had to conclude that even though that polar ant and crystal crawler pretty much were untouched, freeze bug lost CnC, which makes the BG impossible to play.

Id like to request to put CnC back to base at freeze bug or as automatic upgrade at lvl 1 unit.

edit:
    just noticed that all arthropod, even without CnC help to the requirement of 4 CnC units to trigger CnC, so the deck i still viable, only missing the toss freeze bug/PoV combo.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  6. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

dude, try fs/st bugs

it will blow your mind

7. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

What Dag said was true, except the part where he said it was all him.

I'll fite u

8. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

son

bro

1v1 rl any time any where any place any time any where any time any place any where

right now son

u wont

9. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

I think they should develop the sl arthropod theme with the next expansion. I have always wanted to make an sl/ud split with arthropods.

10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

omg u r teleport?

11. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

he's way too fat for that

12. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

but dunewalker.. T.T