Small Details

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crisian, Mar 17, 2014.

1. crisian

crisian Member

just curious why some (simple seeming)things just go unaddressed. for instance the new owls, why do their rune art not show up in rune manager or in the revealed rune display but just a black box with an 'x' in it.

and why don't they have proper names displayed but rather rune.number.12345 or something to that effect?

it really looks bad especially to a new player who is not used to this kind of haphazard programming.

2. ktm

ktm Member

first off, the missing rune art is most likely from limiteds that have been made into legendaries. these new legendaries have missing rune art and this will be addressed by the owls as they continue to bug fix and balance. they have already responded as such, specifically about the missing rune art. look up geddens post history.

secondly, they have just purchased the game and made a bunch of changes to the code to make improvements for the player base. changes to code make bugs! this happens, its a fact of gaming life.

third, they are just getting their feet under them and are working on bug fixes, balance issues, and the all new forge system to craft your runes, as well as tweaking all of the changes that they have made to make sure they work as intended and perform satisfactorily.

fourth, when they got the game from sony there was a crapload of issues in the works from the hatchet job that they had performed on the code.

fifth. they have announced that the period of time immediately following thier aquisition was to be considered a beta and to expect issues.

sixth. learn to have patience and give them the opportunity to do thier job. remember that NONE of this is going to be a snap of the fingers and instant fix. it will be a work in progress lasting quite a few months. if you expect the game to be polished and bug free your expectations are ridiculous and you should just quit the internet. even old established games and prominent companies have some major bugs and issues when they change or add code, and this is without a major hand off to a different company after a subpar management.

Tarathil, RedDain and Goyo like this.
  3. crisian

crisian Member

well thanks for stating the obvious with a hint of arrogance. i am well aware of all of the above but was wondering how, with all the major overhauls being done, something as simple as rune art on their signature rune, slips through the cracks.

and i don't believe the rune art of the new owl is due to it being changed from limited to legendary seeing as it is a brand new limited rune, but thanks for the guess.

4. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Not a high enough priority. Now dost thou comprehend?

5. crisian

crisian Member

well honestly, for the little, tiny amount of work that it probably takes, it seems silly that it hasn't. but whatever.

6. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

If you would like, please feel free to post which runes are having these issues, particularly the ones that are missing rune images in the bugs board.. At the moment, I do believe there are some higher priority fixes that have come into play such as game breaking bugs such as the corrupted sound files of Creep and Crawl, Aim, and a few other runes that have popped up as well as the overall stability and rank issues. It may seem like a little bit of work, but I hope you can see that the developers have been far from idle.

Greysands22 and DarkJello like this.
  7. ktm

ktm Member

lets use an example.

you have 2 hands and are walking past the counter. on the counter is a glass plate, a pitcher full of grape juice, a fork, a butter knife, a used napkin and an apple pie.
    you bump into the counter and BLAMO, EVERYTHING goes flying. you happen to have amazing reflexes and (amazingly) can catch 3 of these wonderful objects as they are falling.
    zip! zap! woosh!
    man you shoulda seen that!
    that was AMAZING!
    i have such GOOD reflexes!!

now... the important question.
    which of those objects did you catch? now remember you only have 3 to choose.
    if it were me, these are the things that i would pick
    1- the grape juice. if i dont catch it, it would make one helluva mess. (can apply to some bugs)
    2- the glass plate. if i dont catch it, it could be dangerous, make a bit of a mess, and it would be broken, unable to be used. (can apply to some bugs)
    3- the apple pie. if i dont catch it, all the hard work going into making it has gone to waste, and we wont be able to get another one any time soon until more effort has gone into making it again! (this to applies, maybe not to some bugs but other programming issues). besides EVERYONE loves PIE!!

since i didnt catch the other ones, lets look at the results of letting them fall.
    1- the fork. it landed points down, right on my toe! thank god it wasnt that heavy. it stung a little, but i can get over it. besides ive got time to pick it up later.
    2- the napkin. its so light that nobody even noticed it! ill pick it up when ive got time.
    3- the butter knife. it went clangity clang! everyones looking at me funny, jeez im so embarrassed! hey look though! guys i caught all these more important things! no? you didn't see?.... the pie?. the.... the juice..? No? *sigh*

just like game bug squashing.
    - you have limited resources. limited time (hey man its falling!/we only have 2 days to the next patch guys come on!). limited manpower (2 hands guys!/only 'X' amount of staff).
    - everyone is noticing the things you DONT do (the clangity clang!/hey my picture is missing!)
    - people dont seem to see when you work miracles (3 things caught man. c'mon thats AMAZING!/look at all the new features, runeforging, gold pack purchasing, and a bunch of fixes. remember this all started BEFORE they even took over, desert owl spoke with nvidia and got the whitescreen fixed!)

hopefully this little example broke things down a little for you and helped you understand.

IceNorth likes this.
  8. Silveraine

Silveraine I need me some PIE!

This was a good read :)

9. ktm

ktm Member

thank you :D