So - the new Charred~

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gedden, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Gedden

Gedden Administrator Octopi

Thank you Rapidice for bringing this up.

So, the TLDR version is this:

Charred 3 needs to last 4 for turns since it does damage at the beginning of each turn. It may not look like what you are used to, but it is actually doing the amount of damage its supposed to.

More detail here
    • Under SOE, conditions were not dealing their final tick of damage. Charred 3 would deal 3 dmg, 2dmg then stop
    • Last patch, we changed dots so they would last one turn longer so they could deal that final tick
      • Turns out, this exposed problems with DOT condition timer rests, which exposed lots of really long standing bugs with conditions.
    • This patch, conditions work properly and show the counters for they are actually doing.
    The problem is what conditions should be doing and what we have been saying are two different things.
    • Units take damage from DOTS at beginning of each turn
    • Unit conditions decrement at end of each turn
    So technically if you become charred for 3 turns, the following would happen
    1. Turn 1 Begins
    2. Unit A becomes Charred for 3 turns
    3. Turn 1 Ends
      • Charred condition decrements (now 2 turns)
    4. Turn 2 Begins
      • Unit A takes 2 damage
    5. Turn 2 Ends
      • Charred condition decrements (now 1 turns)
    6. Turn 3 Begins
      • Unit A takes 1 damage
    7. Turn 3 Ends
      • Charred condition decrements (now 0 turns, and is removed)

In order to make this work, the Charred 3 is actually a DOT that lasts for 4 turns. This would mean that Charred 3 = 3 Damage + 2 Damage + 1 Damage

The only caveat is that charred 3 looks like the condition Charred (4) when its first applied.

Goyo likes this.
  2. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Gotcha.
    You say "Charred 3" but I´m assuming this applies to other conditions as well, correct?

3. AmmonReros

AmmonReros I need me some PIE!

Thanks for clearing this up.

Now how does it work on Chilled?

4. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

5. Gedden

All conditions work the same way. I wrote charred, but I mean all DOTs (Charred, Chilled, Eviscerated, Scoured, Shocked etc).

Mind you, for non-DOT conditions this is how you would expect them to work -- if you get Impervious for 5 turns you expect it to work for 5 turns. The exception was the DOT conditions where we say Charred 3 but really mean: we want charred to work for 4 turns.

Goyo> Hah

6. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

So what about Jolt?

GabrielQ likes this.
  7. mampoa

mampoa New Member

Sorry to be a possible downer, but I don't think this is working, or if it is I'm not as excited as the others that a great job has been done (appreciate the effort though, don't get me wrong).

To the point: I just cast fire blast on a unit and it was charred 3, it took 2 damage though as it should according to what you said.

On end turn, it takes 2 damage and the charred 3 condition becomes charred 2 on the counter.

Back to my turn the unit takes 1 damage (as it should) but the condition ticker just goes from 2 to 0.

This is very confusing; the whole point of the condition timer/stack counter is to be able to tell at a glance what damage is expected on turn end - even having to remember it's -1 in actuality is not great, but ok...doable...but then if it goes from 2 to 0, I don't see how to track it properly amongst the other things I'm trying to work out.

i.e. the caveat is not that it simply is off on the first turn its applied but seems to be off the rest of the turns and jumps 2 counter ticks even in this case.

Just my opinion and I may well be missing something here, so let me know...

8. Gedden

Popped int to do some more tests and make sure.

So Fire Blast causes Charred 2 (which would be the charred unit condition on a 3 duration).
    Every turn it ticks down 1 duration, and does one less damage as intended.

Update: I did notice there are some multi DOT stacking issues where the number is not displaying correctly, that could be what you are seeing but that will be fixed soon too.

9. only

only Active Member

I wonder why it can be as it used to be? exact number describes exact tick (of dmg). I mean if it used to be before bugs, it's safe to assume it's possible to do once again.

10. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Can't you simply do a purely visual -1 to the counter?

Zenity and Goyo like this.
  11. mampoa

mampoa New Member

Yes, sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear - the damage works as it should, but the condition counter is not helpful:

The visual indicator that is the condition counter on the bottom of the screen is failing in its purpose, and it definitely jumps from 2 to 0 for me.

Here's some screenshots to show what I mean:

I cast fire blast, here's charred 3 showing up:
    [​IMG]

End turn, unit takes 2 damage as expected, but the tracker NOW shows charred 2 (as expected as per your fix, but not helpful in a battle where you're perhaps trying to track things and have to remember it actually means charred 1 etc):

[​IMG]

My turn comes back, the tracker has disappeared/gone to 0 from 2:

[​IMG]

So, all damage works out fine, it's more a case of the visual indicator of condition with a little number is not so informative.

Edit: Yes, as GabrielQ says, just a visual -1 would be immensely helpful; you've clearly got the background damage working as it should, but it would be so good to have the number show correctly.

12. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Good work, but a visual - 1 would be great for veterans (I KNOW that someone is going to win over me because I thought that poisoned 2 would deal 2 damage) and newcomers (cause number = damage)

13. Gedden

> I wonder why it can be as it used to be? exact number describes exact tick (of dmg).
    We never showed the numbers pre-soe. Charred 3 has had a duration of 4 for a long time, we just never showed it as such.

mamopa> I see. What you want to see is charred 1 on a unit even tho it will not do any more damage.

> a visual - 1 would be great for veterans
    I hear you on this, and I will say even tho what is going on now is technically correct it does not feel good to me. Honestly the fix would be to have DOTs deal damage at the end of the turn instead of the beginning of the next turn. Again, the different there is really subtle but would actually have direct game-play effects.

Zenity likes this.
  14. mampoa

mampoa New Member

Not exactly, but the next part of your reply is more akin to what I'm looking for: Just have the condition "show" as charred 3 when cast (although behind the scenes it is a 4 turn thing as you have described for it to function as needed), and then show as charred 2 etc etc.

The skip of 1 will be dealt with that way too - it'll show 0 and you'll know not to expect any more damage.

Edit: i.e. so I can tell at a glace what damage to expect when I click end turn whether it be a charred 55 or charred 1

15. GabrielQ

Charred 0 should stay because of judgement and abilities alike.
    Fatigued(? don't remember well, being with 0 AP) could start to show again for the same reason

16. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Fireblast gives Charred 2 to a unit, man.
    Stop trying to deceive Gedden.

17. only

only Active Member

Fatique doesn't exist anymore.

18. GabrielQ

0 AP units receive extra LoL from judgement?

19. GabrielQ

Also, it would teach new players about cliffing.

20. only

only Active Member

not anymore.