So this seven muslim countries travel ban

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Can you use this logic thing to show me how Obama used a 2015 law to ban countries in 2011?

2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

let the record show the IES in countries, not the Y

3. Sokolov

I'll try another tact:

You are committing a logical fallacy that "Muslim Ban" must mean "Ban All Muslims."

They are not the same thing.

We feel that the ban is primarily intended to target Muslims (because they are likely to be terrorists, according to the administration), based on the countries it targets (where there is a lot of Muslim terrorists activity) and what Trump has said (he called for a "complete and total shutdown" on Muslims entering the country during the campaign) therefore, we call it a Muslim ban.

You can target a SUBSET OF Muslims and still be targeting Muslims. It is not required to target all Muslims to target some Muslims.

Now, I am sure you can quote X or Y person who wrongly believe this targets all Muslims or whatever, but no one here is claiming that.

Of course, all of this "false narrative" BS is just a distraction being spun by the right to distract us from having discussions on the MERITS of the EO. Whatever you call it, I think the whole thing is kind of dumb, so let's get back to talking about why it's dumb.

4. Sokolov

[​IMG]

Thoughts on this man's points?

5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

MSM propaganda

6. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

yeah my previous statement may not have been the best due to almost falling asleep while typing.

just to me it seems the best explanation at the time. I can't really watch news too often here so really this is all I get to see about the stuff going on.

@Sokolov I saw you said that you didn't necessarily disagree with the ban on the countries can you elaborate for someone who has not been able to keep up with current news?

just tell me if i'm being dumb, just trying to keep up with everything.

7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I'm assuming you're deployed at the moment?

Personally, like Sok said, any sovereign nation is free to let in whoever they want. However, imo, it's been handled poorly and the justification is wonky. What bothers me the most is people that have a life in the US or were promised one in return for their services are just completely shut out and are now stranded in an airport, with their job/family/people or pets to take care of/etc left. Those 90 days could easily lose you a place to stay, a job, people you care about, etc. Assuming it only remains for 90 days.

8. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

that's right

and tell me if i'm wrong but it sounds to me like president trump has no real idea what he's doing? who is his advisers or do we have a business man running foreign affairs by himself?

9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

best of luck out there then man

uh, I heard that he declined council from agencies that specialize in this sort of stuff, but that's only hear-say, not sure how much this can actually be verified. I wouldn't put it past him, judging by his character, but that's just a biased guess.
    It's likely however, if you think back about all the politicians, even Reps saying that there was no way that such a ban would be thing back when he proposed it when he was running.

I'm guessing he and his staff (?) are getting these things together and executing the orders.

10. ssez

ssez I need me some PIE!

Lol at the lefts fake panic over translators. Remember the SIV act and how obama was holding up tens of thousands of Iraqis for years ? of course you dont.

As someone who does not vote for repubs or dems, I can tell the outrage is as fake as it comes.

http://thelistproject.org/10-years-on-the-failure-of-the-special-immigrant-visa-program/

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/tongue-tied-afghanistan/

obama admin holds up translators for years not a peep out of these clowns, trump issues 90 day hold and lefties fake losing their mind. Anyone who follows these forums and knows these posters know they didnt give a Bane Shift about translators when trump wasnt in charge lol

"In 2007, the List Project worked with Senator Kennedy, who led a bi-partisan coalition of Senators in passing the Refugee Crisis in Iraq Act. Among the many intended products of that legislation was the Special Immigrant Visa, created specifically for Iraqis and Afghans working for the United States. It opened up an astonishing 25,000 visa slots, to be allocated at 5,000/year to Iraqi interpreters. The day that the legislation passed, we at the List Project naïvely thought that our mission to protect the thousands of Iraqis on our list would be completed within a year.

How wrong we were. 2013 will not only witness the 10-year anniversary of the invasion of Iraq, but the 5-year expiration of the SIV program. Of the 25,000 visas promised, only about 5,500 were granted, a success rate of about 20%. Unless it is reauthorized, the remaining slots will disappear"

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  11. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Wonder who started that trend.

12. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Still it doesen't make sense. Why choose to ban the countries with moderate to low muslim populations and e xclude the countries with the highest muslim populations? Yea Obama's legislation doesen't directlity say "OMG ban these countries" it limits travel from those countries for the same reasons Trump is doing it. 1. Hot spots for terrorism, 2. high mercenary/refugee population, 3. war torn. The difference was one guy was on team democrat and said all the lovely things you like to hear, and the other is some dude who spouts verbal acid in the face of demos and they want his head on a platter.

13. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Oh.. Bummer.. i forgot

14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Are we still not past this yet? Did Iraq multiply into several different countries and back without anyone knowing?

15. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I think it was an upward trend since Reagan, maybe earlier. @Sokolov pull out the graphs!

Edit:V I was wrong and I am man enough to admit that I am. @BurnPyro V

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  16. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Geressen likes this.
  17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

that is not proof that the current outrage about banning everyone who was born/has a double passport from one of a countries and to pretend that it is proof proves nothing but your lack of decency.

Also lets not forget that neither I nor Burns or Boozha or anyone else has a hand in YOUR politics. Yet here we are outraged. so are we all faking it? is it a global conspiracy of fabricated outrage?

Etherielin and BurnPyro like this.
  18. ssez

ssez I need me some PIE!

Yes you are all faking it. you see a press point and parrot it and act outraged. its cute! its not a conspiracy at all, its just the simple minded jumping on the pile and repeating something they are not educated about.

Whats amazing is the left has no clue how things like this actually hurt them, so I say stick with the fake outrage about iraqis you didnt give a Firk about when obama was in charge, its working great!

19. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

tl;dr, lighthouse runs international politics too

Tweek516, Etherielin, SPiEkY and 2 others like this.
  20. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Two things

1. Are you saying it's simple minded to care about the many people who's lives have just been turned upside down, many of which were already living in the US or were promised a residence as a reward for their services?
    2. Are you saying that Obama's travel ban for Iraqis, a country you are at war with, is the same a travel ban for several countries (not including the countries that have proven to be the homes of people executing terrorist attacks on US soil), most of which you are not at war with?

I eagerly await your answer.