Solitary Garu

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by dsjtheman, Mar 29, 2014.

1. dsjtheman

dsjtheman I need me some PIE!

Time for a change or buff to him I think. I cannot remember the last time I ran him. Even in a full garu BG, solitary just seems more annoying because it makes me wish I get him drawn first or else not play him at all. Perhaps he could be changed by removing solitary... and adding a solo: x ability to base. And perhaps 1 or 2 more solo: x abilities to upgrades. This was just a quick brainstorm idea for him. What do you guys think.

rickyjpen likes this.
  2. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Anything that changes his role from an annoying figure in a shrine-rush deck to something else is a change I would support.

3. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

He seems to be in an unhealthy role right now. Solitary could be changed to a large AOE, he could get a Solo ability or two, and maybe Liability. It wouldn't solve the problem entirely, but it would be a start towards changing it's role. When you see it now, it's only in a shrine rush deck, because that's all it's capable of doing.

4. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

Just dont take away his utility in farming campaigns

5. Prami

The campaigns need to change, so as not to be exploitable.

6. Krokodil

Krokodil The King of Potatoes

If i recall correctly they have tried numerous times. Duality created guides for nora surge and a soe designer closed the holes. Finally they gave up and now the reward is mostly time based instead of performance based.

Long story short prohibit exploiting in campaignes is a lost cause.
    If you want to exploit nowadays read a book/watch tv until you end the campaign after 30 min.

7. Prami

It doesn't seem like it would take so much. Improving the AI would have the most drastic effect, right? Isn't that something they are constantly working on already?

8. Krokodil

Krokodil The King of Potatoes

A better AI ? I would be as lucky as could be.

9. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

Constantly worked on? lolnope. Not since ever. Before it was because they didn't really have enough codemonkeys to do it. I mean, they could improve or make new AI but it'd take that one of two programmers roughly a year to do. So they spent that effort on other stuff that made more money cause that's what SOE does. That's why they just fill holes and make it time-based - those are just simple modifications that don't take very long to do. Now, most of the effort's going on the revamp and other stuff so I doubt AI is going to get looked at for a long while yet :p

10. Prami

AI is something that needs to be improved for the game to be successful. That will never change.

11. Emries

It's not a high priority compared to other stuff atm - mostly because each campaign has a different "trick" that gives the illusion of better AI to new players :p

12. Prami

The campaigns are terrible. Every last one of them needs to be reworked. Do you think that having the AI break the most basic rules of the game is a veil? There is no illusion, just a band-aid, unsterilized so that the wound festers. The most lazy design idea anyone ever had.

13. Emries

I didn't say they're good and it says it'll break the rules - there's an icon on the side that tells you. Say/rage what you will, but AI isn't going to get fixed or improved anytime soon simply because of how the game is developed :p

14. Prami

I think Geddon already said somewhere that the AI was being constantly worked on.

Is there really a notice like that? I never... noticed...

15. IceHippo

IceHippo Active Member

I'm not really a fan of most of the campaigns outside of dailies, they just don't seem "poxy." At the same time I respect the AI for what it is. The complexity problem is an even greater hindrance to the AI than it is to humans and there is probably no way that a truly effective Pox AI could be coded without requiring vast resources and an ambitious redesign most likely involving a complete rewrite, the alternative is a more comprehensive but ponderous AI that would make better moves, but would require perhaps the use of an entire 10 minute turn. I would rather suffer through sub par crutched AI than wait for an AI to process the incredible complexity of this game before every move. Nonetheless I'm very very glad that they are addressing AI, especially some of the sillier moves such as attacking "eater" champions 3x in one turn that would be relatively simple fixes, though depending on how the code is written, still perhaps ponderous as there are so many dmg types, though it should still be possible... I trust they'll fix things like that, but don't expect a miracle when it comes to AI competitiveness and remember that every line of code they add to the AI methods will add to the processing time of every AI turn. BTW I love AI programming, I'm just not very skilled at it yet, still I wish very much I could see the code :p I'm sure it's beautiful, as most code is to sadists like myself(Working code anyway...)! Keep up the good work Owls and make it so much better!

16. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

One day, a Solitary Garu met a Garu Den Mother. He gave her a Shimmering Flower and she agreed to wear his Ring of Rejuventation. After Hibernating together and accepting his Seed of Potential, they made a Garu Cub. Returning to his solitary ways, the Garu Den Mother has been stuck taking care of the pet cub ever since, which is why she is so easily enraged. Clearly the Solitary Garu needs to be revised to have some synergy w/ these runes.

dsjtheman likes this.
  17. Prami

Clap clap clap...