Some kind of draksar racial Ability

Discussion in 'Sundered Lands' started by themacca, Sep 4, 2015.

1. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Not for the sake of synergy more so for the point of cleaning up ability lines. But was thinking they could get something like Regen 2 + violent for 6 nora (i'm aware that's a discount). it would open up a lot of design space for draksar and allow them to move away from the fact that 80% of them are just stat machine 1 range beaters that you have to choose betweem. A good example of this is Draksar Augmenter, Pre-Nerf (For some reason) Draksar Marine and Draksar Berserker that all pretty much filled the same role as boring 1 dimensional melee beaters. I think doing this could go a long way in helping you guys really give diversity to the theme cause that's where most of the old draksar really suffer.

2. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Thats actually a good idea, but i dont like when a racial only grants abilities without "if"s and conditionals, what about:

• Draksar Benediction: "For every 17 MAX HP this champ has it gains a rank of regen, This champeon also gains bulwark:draksar if most of your champeons in play are wounded, and violent if most of your champeons in play are full health"

Explanations:
    The 17MaxHP is there to work as a regulator, to have rank3 you would need 51HP which is a tank/melee beater, so squeezy rangeds which one normally would pick regen1 to make them cheaper wont get free regen ranks.
    "Bulwark: Draksar if your champs are hurt, violent if they are not", this is the fun part, if most of your champs are hurt, then all of them will get a boost to maxHP+def thanks to bulwark, which means more regen triggers, which means it would last less turns until most of them are full, and the other part about violent its mostly to encourage SL to iniciate the fight, this violent would only be there as long as not many of your champs are hurt, so its also tricky.

To me this would make a really fun racial, as for its cost i would not know, it has a lot of variables and its enemy dependant so i suppose it would not be that costy.

what do you think? @Sokolov

Fun interactions with banner/sermon/commander, might have to make it every 18MaxHP, dunno.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  3. themacca

I don't much care for the if most of x is Y you gain Z as that becomes much too difficult to manage but i like the whole thing you've got for determining the regen on units though it would probably be better off fixed for 42 and under =1 43 to 50=2 51 and up=3 and makes the whole stat stacking thing draksar do seem to have more purpose than simply stacking stats

4. Kampel

But how would you explain that in the ability description?

5. themacca

idek man

6. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

17 is a bit of an add number, and tho I see where you are going with it it does seem like we wouldn't need to create a new ability to do this. We'd just give the appropriate abilities on base.

If we were to do something like this, I'd rather do something similar to the Murkwater Frenzy of the Snaptooth:

??? - This champion has Violent. For each friendly Draksar within 4 spaces, this champion gains a rank of Regen.

(Note: This isn't all that good, to be honest, but it's the idea/structure.)

7. Kampel

I understand why you would want to build it like that but that's exactly what i want to avoid. I don't want the regen ranks to be dependant on the ammount and proximity of draksars in play, they are already "locked" to attack at least in pairs so violent doesnt become a sandbag.. with your idea recovering/retreating would also need more than 1 to be effective..
    Draksars lack when you have to run to 2 or 3 different fonts sending only one champ each.. your idea would also take away their defensive adventage.

The "every 17maxHP" is wrong, it should be 19maxHP, but still, it wasn't a random idea, the 19hp is the golden number that separates broodlings, dragoleechs, rangeds, supports, melee and tankys. i checked that. Why would you choose to give it as a static ability manually over a versatil tatical-dependant variable?
    Currently Draksars have 4 ways to increase their max hp (Bulwark, banner, commander, sermon) i wanted to make it dinamic while as themacca sayd, making the stat stacking have an actual purpose other than superchamp/powerturning. The idea of the dependency on your champ's current health being global is so you are forced to play Draks as a phallanx (attacking/retreating as a unit) without being forced to have them all together in the same place as violent/murkwaterFrenzy states.

I tryed to separate both offensive stances from defensive ones(thats why Violent and Bulwark cant be at the same time). I actually wanted to move away from violent too but its so in their core that i dont know what to replace it with.

pls re-read it, give it another thought:
    "??????: "For every 19 MAX HP this champ has it gains a Rank of Regen, This champ also gains Bulwark: Draksar if most of your champs in play are wounded, and Violent* if most of your champs in play are full health".

*A replace for "violent" could be "Draconic Force"(which makes you attack as a unit too but the dmg is not permanent and breaks the no-AoE for drakkies tabu) but its up to you.

For the lazys:
    MaxHP 1 to 19, Regen1
    MaxHP 20 to 39, Regen2
    MaxHP 40+++, Regen3
    Player could use Commander/Bulwark/Banner/Sermon to increases their maxHP gaining higher ranks.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  8. Sokolov

The point is that if we are just giving abilitie based on HP, we don't need to create an ability to do so.

If we are going to create a "racial" it should be something that actually encourages you to play the theme together, instead of just single abilities.

I don't understand why people think having Regen qualifies as a racial. As for "already locked in pairs" via Violent, that's exactly what makes a proximity clause less burdensome - it's something you do already based on existing builds.

~

Anyway, as for your new idea, what do you mean by "most of your champs are wounded" and "most of your champs are full health" exactly? Something like the following?

???
    This champ also gains X if at least 50% friendly Draksar have 50% or less HP, otherwise, they gain Y instead?

Note: Gaining Bulwark: X via an HP-based ability is problematic, since the clause, and the buff, both interact with MAX HP mathematically. There's a theoritical circular logic loop that could occur here with units gaining HP and losing the buff, then losing the HP and gaining the buff, etc.

9. Kampel

1)I eddited the post a little* made the question: "Why would you choose to give it as a static ability(Regen) manually over a versatil tatical-dependant variable?

2)Yes i meant "if 50% friendlys are hurt you gain bulwark, if not Violent". I did not meant "50% HP or less", if most of your champs have less than 50% you are screwed and needed the regen to kick sooner.

3)I had no idea about the loop thing. I don't know if it's possible to go around that. (maybe triggering once at the start of the turn?)

10. Kampel

I don't see Regen as a racial, but including it on the racial would force you to remove it from all those upgrade paths. As for Violent, i do not like Violent either, i was developing the OP's idea.

11. Sokolov

I do agree that if there's going to be a racial, having it grant Regen in some way does make sense.

So working off what you said could potentially work:

???
    This champion gains Regen 3 if at least 50% friendly Draksar have less than 100% HP, otherwise, they gain Bulwark: Draksar.

OR

???
    This champion gains a rank of Regen for each friendly Draksar with less than 50% HP, including itself, otherwise, it gains Bulwark: Draksar.

And we keep Violent on guys as appropriate (not on ranged, hehe).

This should also avoid any infinite loop problems. Altho Bulwark is still potentially awkward in these situations since it could suddenly lose a bunch of MAX HP even if that particular champion wasn't hurt.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  12. themacca

The point is that near enough to every draksar excluding the new ones has regeneration, likewise for violent and it denies draksar a lot of room for design space when they always have one of their upgrade paths taken by regeneration and one of their base abilities taken by draksar so it just leaves the variety of draksar very limited and it results in a huge amount of draks being more or less the same champion.

13. Sokolov

Oh, I understand the Regen on upgrade thing, I do. I just don't understand why people insist on having Violent and/or Regen on every Draksar :D

(not that I am doing that, clearly)

14. themacca

I've acknowledged that clearly you're moving draksar away from the whole Boring regen stat stacking nonsense and moving it more in some direction into some kinda AP control theme. But as it stands we've just had this problem for draks too long and it's really been what most people have agreed to be a reasonable fix to make it into 1 ability

If you've got something planned to take them even further down the path of Flagellum Of Chains I'd love to hear it

15. Sokolov

To be clear, if it was a true racial I don't have a problem with Regen.

16. themacca

Isn't the point of this thread to make it+violent one though

17. Sokolov

Violent is problematic as a racial due to ranged Violent (which I am fixing in regards to Dwarves), but yes, it's along the same lines as Regen in that sense, tho given the way Violent works, we can probably keep it outside on the appropriate Draksar and it'd be ok.

18. themacca

Well as it stands without violent Draksars range has proven to be underwhelming at best

19. Sokolov

Which perhaps points to a problem with the runes themselves that was perhaps overshadowed by Violent.

20. themacca

Is this some kind of admittance that they deserve some attention then? cause it would be lovely