Spells rating judging by their efficiency on the board

Discussion in 'Forglar Swamp' started by IronStylus, May 12, 2016.

1. IronStylus

IronStylus I need me some PIE!

Here's my personal meta gameplay rating on efficiency of spells in terms of giving and consuming rescources of the game. There are following rescources: health of the champions, damage you deal with spells/champions, their position (which is kind of more valuable than their ap), ap itself and possibilities of playing a turn (nora bank, revealed runes, countering opponent's spell, which is denying this rescource). I rate from 1 to 5 and assume you play the best you can out of a spell (and play a turn around casting it) while your opponent creates an average situation for you (you are able to drown a 75 nora unit, backfire 40 nora spell and you find 2 champions in aoe2). I don't claim high rated spells are better options, but they create more rescources for you on the board (battlefield). I also assume you play themed spells in a full themed deck and you know what spell does and know its nora cost.

Backfire:
    3+/5 Denying a possible move is good, but I count risk of opponent not playing any spell at all. Also you are short 45 nora until it is triggered (if at all).

Backfire Boon:
    5/5 If triggered even on low nora spell, the heal is worth the nora paid.

Blessing of the river:
    3+/5 Consumes a slot in deck and the effect finally ends giving you nothing. 25 nora for global 5hp is less than banner.

Blood of the swamp:
    2/5 At a medicore situation you get 1-2 attacks on the champion. Half the damage taken is worth not much.

Bog trap:
    3/5 no damage component, small aoe

Boghopper bravado:
    4-/5 I assume you cast it on 3 champions, and opponent doesn't have ironwill or fearless. immunity to melee attacks is good.

Bubble of protection:
    4/5 Can be dispelled which lowers it's value.

Cleansing mist:
    4+/5 If you can predict opponent's turn, it's really good (efficient).

Confusion:
    2/5 Denying possibilities counts as a rescource. 25 nora is much more than expected from this spell.

Corrode:
    3+/5 This spell is able to destroy many equipments, and is not hard to play around it. I assume you destroy 2 equips (negative or positive). Remember, you are at least one turn behind of opponent using the equips.

Darkmarsh warsong:
    5+/5 Summons are easier to destroy, but this spell's efficiency is beyond everything.

Dissidence:
    1+/5 I can see its uses, but the spell costs too much nora.

Drown:
    4/5 I assume you drown 75 nora champion that is at full health. Ap spent on moving him onto current position and possibility of drowning equipped champion makes it good. Restrictions make it not be 5/5.

Erode:
    5/5 Really efficient, especially when its possible to destroy multiple relics with 20+hp.

Evolve:
    4/5 Stats are okay for the nora cost. I assume the possibilty of manouvering your champions out of water.

Expanded reach:
    3-/5 10 nora for a global ability. Consumes a valuable slot in deck though for a minor effect.

Feeding frenzy:
    3/5 I assume you hit 4/5 of the pirahnias, because their position is random.

Flood:
    3/5 Damage is non-existent Position denial is hard to pull off in a way that matters, and its situational.

Font Eruption:
    5-/5 I assume you hit 3 opponents and a banner. There is a possiblity to destroy tome of hate, and double this spell to clear the board from problematic relics and damage multiple enemies. Too bad opponent will expect the spell and easily play around it. (i didn't count it in ranking)

Forced evolution:
    3/5 Drawback is too harsh, even when you build and play around the spell (I assume you have plenty of water, but the map is not fully covered).

Forced reconstruction:
    4/5 I see this as a 75% hp summon for 35 nora and a sacrifice of a champion

Gathering at dawn:
    3+/5 High aoe means that you will need to spend more ap to reach morsels than expected.

Hungry Mire:
    3+/5 High duration time makes it better in rank. Low damage component for quite nora makes it worse

Huntmaster's charm:
    2/5 Technically more stats in nora than its cost. Low usefulness champion make it bad. I assume you cast it on pygmy hippo.

Infuse:
    2/5 Used in trick decks. In a starndard gameplay even if you have about 100 nora it raises your damage by 6, which isn't efficient.

Leap to battle:
    2/5 leap component is neglibile and situational, and initive 1 for pressumably 2 champions is not worth 20 nora. Also consumes a slot for a minor effect. Note: even on 5 font forsaken wastes map capturing a font gives you only 12 nora.

Loot:
    5-/5 Denies an equipment and creates a positive equipment. Situational though.

Lost echoes:
    2/5 Hard to trigger twice (draw issues) and not worth triggering twice.

Marsh fable:
    1/5 An illusion is worth only a mind trick. No efficiency at all (besides roadblock).

Marsh song:
    4-/5 Lowers the pressure on the battlefield. Waiting time is counted as a rescource too.

Monsoon:
    4/5 Low damage, high nora cost but creates water and cc. There is a possiblity to chasm a flying unit.

Murkwater weakness:
    4/5 denying defense and damage for 1 turn is good. Almost same class as boghopper bravado, but works against range.

Murky depths:
    2-/5 stealth is not efficient, especially when your opponent knows your position whne the spell is cast.

Nora Artillery:
    1+/5 prediction component makes it So low in rank. Damage compared to nora lost is low (I assume you cast it with about 100 nora). Efficiency raises in extreme nora generation situations. (trick decks)

Nora drain:
    2/5 Its possible to deny some nora. I assume your opponent saves up to 100 nora (at your turn his nora is about 38 in a one font scenario. Rarity of the situation makes it low in rank.

Nora infusion:
    3+/5 I assume your opponent changes target after the spell triggers.If he kills the champion, it's 5/5. Instant nora genration.

Nora Seep:
    1/5 Trick decks only. In a case you manage to collect the globes from opponent's font it's 5/5. Strange spell to classify.

Noraweave:
    5-/5 Really efficient. I assume your opponent makes 6 attacks within 4 turns.

Northern wind discipline:
    3+/5 Damage is low. Nora cost high. Note: i used to run it in monk deck, but decided there are better options for damaging opponents. even freezing them was not worth spending nora on the spell.

Poisonous Fumes:
    3+/5 Low damage, small aoe for 35 nora. There is a possiblity to knockback champion into the cloud for more damage.

Psionic impact:
    2/5 Situational. I assume you manage to knockback 1 champion into a wall and change a position of another champion. There is a possiblity to play around this spell and deal more damage with multiple attacks.

Psionic impact:
    3/5 low damage component, wandering can be cleansed

Psychic Blast:
    4-/5 I assume you have 4 championswith attack psychic out.

Psychic Conundrum:
    2/5 Situational and hard to make full use of all components (you dont need ap, you need distract and position champion well)

Pygmy Hippo Stampede:
    4/5 Gives you a possiblity to road block or damage opponent.

Reckless Command:
    3/5 I assume your opponent has 10 runes covered. Good global damage for low nora cost. Usefulness rather low, because it requires long match.

Reverberating Blast:
    4-/5 Low damage, cc can be cleansed. Denies many possibilites though.

Rite of Empathy:
    3+/5 Components are conflicting. Possibly you can heal up to 22 health in aoe.

Sea song:
    1/5 25 nora is too much to deny charges, unless its an extreme situation.

Slipwater:
    5/5 Big position changer (not really ap generation). I assume you move only on water.

Soak the earth:
    4+/5 Very efficiently takes down relics and creates water. Too bad you need to wait for the effect.

Spore Pox:
    You can use it to prevent damage to your champion or deny 1 champion for your opponent. I don't remember if he can attack, therefore I dont rate this spell. probably 3-/5

Tendrils of the deep:
    3+/5 Hard to position the spell correctly. Creates water.

Tortun Cannon Barrage:
    3/5 I didn't do the math on possibilites but I assume you have 4 tortuns out and hit 3/4 cannonballs.

Undertow:
    4/5 Denies position which is more valuable than ap. I assume you move opponent 4 spaces.

I might do this also for shattered peaks or forsaken wastes. this is my personal rating and I might be worng about some spells. Many are really hard to classify, but I tried to think about every aspect of the spell that includes rescource generating and consuming.

Edit: changed undertow to 4/5 after a thought and backfire boon to 5/5 from 5-

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    noamkeren and Goyo like this.
  2. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Darkmarsh Warsong is banned from ranked for being too good and its totally deserved. I won games with it :)

3. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

I am not a competitive FS player but I have enjoyed using Cleansing mist 2x as of late. Worst cause scenario you pay 25 nora for AoE 3 that heals 8 hp. (In a faction where nora gen is not an issue.) Best case, it almost completely counters hammer strike, or no worries of whispers of the mind. This spell is the reason I was asking about adaptive units in FS in a earlier forum thread. Spell is supper good in combo with snaptooths nora gen ontop of FS meta nora gen. (Why do multi attack units have spot essence capture in a nora gen faction I still do not know.)

4. IronStylus

I used to run 2x sacred temple and deploy it just before I grouped with monks. Weaken spells and backfire made sure my opponent didnt aoe me and cleansing aura made sure I dont get hammerstriked (i played with nohkan do champions) or blinded or anything. It was winning quite a lot because opponents werent able to get past my defences. But I'm not a top ranked player, just trying to have fun.

5. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

If undertow is 5/5 Drown should be too.

6. IronStylus

Undertow is actually 5- because of its low restrictions. drown has more and is more situational, which i also took into account. drown could be 4+ at max

7. IronStylus

I also imagine the situation that in a standoff you pull opponent towards you. 5-/5 is because its like 'moving all champions towards the target 4 spaces which is similar to mobilization. - is there because you need water. Also the spell gets most efficient where you have more champions out.

8. IronStylus

Oh okay im sorry about drown, its 5-/5 because i used to play it in split, i forgot access to water in hoppers/ aquatics is easier. i misjudged this spell by taking into account too many restrictions.