Spirit of the mountain

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by exiledtyrant, Apr 12, 2014.

1. exiledtyrant

exiledtyrant Active Member

Explain this rune to me.

2. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

It's tar

3. exiledtyrant

How does it work?

4. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

It's a passive champion that can only be damaged with magic, and it constantly generates a "manifestation" that is a summoned champion that is able to attack like any other, it's 2x2 and has attack: physical and pounce iirc. The point of these manifestations (they work like garu medium's) is that they are truly free, it doesn't matter how many times your opponent kills them, a new one will appear on your next turn. The principal use of the champion would be favor, because between KF and SP there is an excellent spell set, and things like thorn collection get really efficient with a 5 nora discount.

Tarathil likes this.
  5. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

The problem is Spirit Projection, which is an inconsistent & poorly defined ability.

Manifestations are a unique object on the board, and it needs to be clearly defined how their stats/abilities are generated. The manifestations should also gain AP on the turn they enter play.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  6. exiledtyrant

whatever happened to that thing where it could cover the whole map

7. RedDain

RedDain I need me some PIE!

Spirit Projection works pretty simply: the projection is a physical manifestation that can attack. If the original champ is more than 8 (I think) spaces away at the end of a turn, the manifestation dies. At the beginning of the next turn, a new manifestation appears. There are some issues with exactly where the manifestation appears relative to the real champion. Manifestations are summons -- they have no spell presence and cannot challenge fonts, but they can place relics, be the target of buffs (like damaging auras).

Prami, no, manifestations should not have AP upon appearance, that would be very quickly abused.

In fact, I think that the main champ should lose life each time a manifestation dies...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    Theoril, BansheeX and Tarathil like this.
  8. Prami

It's not though. The 2 manifestations have abilities of their own, unspecified in the Spirit Projection description. These abilities are not derivative of their host, they are unique. That Spirit Projection does not specify how these abilities/stats are generated is a huge problem. Pox Nora should not be playable only by rote.

I don't think champions should be able to place relics without presence. I feel that all non-real champions should not be able to cast spells or place relics. There should be more stratage within the presence mechanic.

Zenity likes this.
  9. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

if you cast fading recollection on the manifestation, an extra one will be created the next turn. It was fun to discover, even when I casted the FR.

10. RedDain

I agree that the stats, abilities, and range of the manifestations should be explained clearly or should be obvious to the user. I do not agree about the relic presence. Non-real champs are already incapable of spell presence (summons, illusions, manifestations, projections all have no spell presence), equipment presence, and cannot contest fonts. At a certain point, the summons are essentially useless. I like the basic summon/illusion mechanic, and those things should not be simply useless decorations.

11. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

How can they ever be useless, as long as they are still fighting creatures? As much as I enjoy the Elven Blitzkrieg that I am playing at the moment, I can't think of a convincing reason why this is better for the game.

12. RedDain

Manifestations are not useless, but Illusions are close to useless. Eliminating the relic drop option from illusions, without separating illusions from other projections/summons/manifestations would require an extensive recode, and even further complexity...

13. Prami

More should be done with illusions, and i've already posted plenty of idea ideas in other threads. They aren't the object of discussion here though.

Giving non-real champions the ability to place relics, but not cast spells, is one of those odd little rules that needs to be learned by rote. It's not so much a rule as it is an exception, and by that alone it's unhealthy for the game. Mechanic wise, Illusions can have their own niche, and Summons can already take damage, attack, and use abilities.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  14. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

As far as I can see, all illusions are already designed to have a purpose. Whether it's to keep the other player guessing who's the real one, or some form of synergy. I don't think there is any illusion which just exists for the heck of it (placing relics)?

15. RedDain

It was not always so... used to be that illusions/summons all had spell/equipment presence, and could contest fonts. That changed when there were enough champs/spells with the ability to summon champs/illusions.

16. RedDain

It's usually *really* easy to figure out which one is the real one, so at higher levels of play, the illusions don't keep anyone guessing at all... and their utility becomes almost entirely as relic delivery systems and damage amplifiers.

17. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

Illusions can also be used as doods for Pawn to proc off of, or abuse with lightning rod damage. They engage champions and can make your opponent waste AP. They can force your opponent to deploy at a back font for protection from a relic contest, Illusions also work as a bluff at lower levels of play, which is a healthy option, as it enforces better play.

They could certainly use some more definition, so that newer players especially aren't surprised by relic drops or illusion inability to contest by themselves, but I think they occupy a pretty healthy design space. I could see it being changed without much complaint, but I don't mind where they are right now.

18. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

Elven statue in KF for illusions, also.

P.S I want to run a FW/KF spirit deck with SoTM with darkmarsh staff...

TRY AND KILL IT I DARE U

19. Prami

Eh, since the SotM can't really contribute anything except font contest, it's actually pretty underwhelming.

20. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

If they can't kill the main spirit the spawns keep coming, the more free hp I get the better that ability is. I don't care it has sucky damage, it's purely a meatshielf to protect squishies. What's more annoying then something that contests your font that you literally can't damage (without shatter/magic attack/fw) That's pretty limited.

21. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

And also stealth from spectre!