Spirits (new set updates)

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by Trevdagamer, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Trevdagamer

Trevdagamer Member

Edit: after more play with spirits here is what my current BG looks like as well as some in-depth discussion material on the various spirits-

spirits bg.jpg
    Rune Discussion

Champions

Arroyo Riftlwalker
    Upgrades: escalating rage; Purified/Magic Acolyte
    Tied with Riftlords for priciest champ in the BG. Majestic and Purified give decent survivability, Riftwalk and Escalating rage allow for excellent power plays. Magic accolyte can allow for quite a bit of healing with Rift Spirits.
    Lich Magistrate

Upgrades: Inhibiting Touch; Consume

Lich Magistrate is definitely a Must-Have for spirits bg. Restless Souls can create one-sided fights incredibly quickly, and there's almost always ample food for him to eat and stay healthy. I don't consider it necessary to run two, but definitely have one
    Arroyo Riftlord
    Upgrades: Encouraged; Oblivion Shield
    This champion is amazing and a complete necessity for a spirits bg, always run two.
    At least half of my games Riftlord will be one of my first three champions on the field. With Vitality and Oblivion Shield, you should have no problem keeping him alive. Dictate seems unnecessary since dealing damage is Riftlord's least important role.
    InkBlight Witch
    Upgrades: Curse/Shroud; Blind
    Mostly used because I love Oblivion Shield and coupled with blind makes her wonderful for contesting. Elsari Coven works really well with the ludicrous amount of DMZ this bg generates.
    Skeletal Lerper
    Upgrades: Surge Spirit; Shadowspawn
    This ghastly critter is wonderful for contesting sidefonts and sneaking in impressive amounts of damage. Haunting Visions procs incredibly often, making it easy to get Lerper to around 20 damage+ relatively early
    WhisperGhast
    Upgrades: Surge Spirit; Shadestrike
    Another neccessity. Amazing 75- nora champion with 5-6 range, shadestrike and a relocate. I always run two.

Arroyo Echo
    Upgrades: Weary;Stall
    Echo adds Utility, which is otherwise lacking in this bg.
    Arroyo Shadestriker
    Upgrades: Riftbound; Surge Spirit
    Cheap , Fast Bruiser with two surge options. That's about it.
    Nether Wraith
    Upgrades: Stealth; Hex
    Cheap Stealth with surge. Mostly used for the simple fact I don't know what I would replace it with
    Shadestriker
    Upgrades: Surge Spirit; Domain:DMZ
    Throws Shade and Stealths in said shade. I roll with two.
    Wailing Banshee
    Upgrades: Vaporize; Life Syphon/ Defiling Aura
    Wailing Banshee is and always will be awesomesauce. Budget Snogvie.
    Arroyo Orbs
    Cheap 4-5 Range Champs each with their own useful utility. Arroyo Eye is the only Observer worth using, and Replicate is nifty with surge.

Non-Champion Runes

Whispers of the Vale
    25 nora for an easy-to-obtain 30 damage bubble. Has a short cd so I only run one
    Spirits Within
    40 nora for 20 damage over eight turns is a bit expensive, but it's won me enough middle fonts to prove useful
    Arroyo Portal
    45 Nora makes for an expensive relic, but played early leads to a healthy amount of Rift Spirits and can prove useful in contesting side fonts. I keep one, but rarely sees use
    Other Notable Runes

Arroyo Smokeform
    Elusive and Rift Nova makes Smokeform a good bang for it's buck, but with so many other ranged options he's often on the bench more often than not for me.
    UtterDark Leviathan
    Moderately beefy spirit. Could be useful with other soultap champions, but I personally don't consider soultap worth implementing into the bg
    UtterDark Spectre
    Insubstantiate coupled with ethereal soldiers and other UtterDark/ Soultap champions can prove effective and bothersome against the opponent. I don't utilize enough incorporeal champions to make it worth adding to my current bg
    More to Come, Hoping to add other players' inputs as the discussions continue

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    OriginalG1 likes this.
  2. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

riftlords and whisperghasts are both definite x2 autos. Riftwalker is worth a ponential look as well.

Also consider
    Haunting Spirit
    Wailing Banshee
    Defiler Knight
    Tomb Sentinel+haunt

3. Trevdagamer

Trevdagamer Member

Added second whisperghast and riftlord, added ayyoro riftwalker and defiler knight

removed aroyo eye, smokeform, warspirit and x1 ethereal soldier.

Avg rune cost is up to 76, is that too high for FW?

4. themacca

rune cost isnt actually that high. its aglitch where it calculate split runes twice

5. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

I enjoy all the globe shaped Arroyo. They are cheep range that can rock a reapers blade if need be. Detps of despair x2 can grant nip gibs. Do you have any summon counters? Bonecircle archmage could help out. That is a good record on ranked though so you are doing a lot of things right for your play style! Who wears the Enervating Collar?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  6. Trevdagamer

Trevdagamer Member

@ Original enervating collar is mostly used for debuff but may switch to reapers blade

OriginalG1 likes this.
  7. kussel

kussel The King of Potatoes

Capture.PNG
    This is what i'm playing with atm, its far from optimized, made it to test em out. I would definitely recommend at least one whispers of the veil, with how quickly you can get spirits on board it's a 30hp shield for 25 nora. And also a skeletal lerper for more surge and shadowspawn messing with your opponent. Other than that i guess it's down to preference really, i always run 1 reapers blade for problem champs or when someone sends their avatar in the fray. I like the arroyo flamewisp for cheap ranged dispelling blows and much prefer arcane enervation or chain lightning over anathema

8. Trevdagamer

Trevdagamer Member

I haven't seen anyone playing ethereal soldier lately, what would be a good replacement meatshield/font contender?

9. Zorack

Zorack I need me some PIE!

Wailing Banshee with Life Siphon + Vaporize is pretty annoying to deal with against the right decks. Riftwalker is also fairly tanky with Majestic and whatever second upgrade you choose. Here's my deck for reference, though I am considering dropping the Bloodbinder for Inkblight Witch, might be better utility.

Ghost Deck.png

10. Trevdagamer

Trevdagamer Member

Edited original post with current bg and some Rune discussions. will continue to add more as time permits. Thanks for all the contributions so far!

11. 33rd

33rd The King of Potatoes

any advices?? some replaces for more actual runes?

Bez názvu.png

12. themacca

remove both arroyo smokeforms, replace with 2 arroyo riftlords. replace utterdark specters with utterdark soulrenders. remove glimpse into utterdark for essence drain, replace 1 haunt with arroyo portal, replace sacrificial dagger with reapers blade. you could probably get away with removing spirits within for unholy tomb as well

33rd likes this.
  13. 33rd

33rd The King of Potatoes

thanks a lot