Stick Bug (KF Champ)

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by Xirone, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Stick Bug
    Race: Arthropod, Plant, Class: None, Size: Small, Rarity: Uncommon
    Artwork: A well disguised arthropod that resembles a thin tree branch. The creature has very long and slender legs that each end in a small pincher.
    Flavor-Text: "Where did he go off to now? Finding kindling shouldn't take this long."
    Nora Cost: 62

Champion Stats
    DMG: 10, SPD: 5, RNG: 1, DEF: 2, HP: 50

Champion Abilities
    Attack: Physical- This unit makes a Physical attack at its Range. This is a basic attack.
    Creep and Crawl- While 4 or more friendly champions with this ability are in play, this unit gains Climb and an additional rank of Multiattack.
    Hidden: Vegetation- At the end of your turn, if this champion occupies Vegetation, it becomes Stealthed. Otherwise, it loses Stealthed.
    Latch On- For the next 3 turns this unit stays adjacent to target champion while it moves. Target unit gains Lumbering. CD: 2, AP: 1
    Splintering- After this champion deals Physical damage to a champion on a close-combat attack, this champion loses 4 HP and gets +2 DMG.

Champion Upgrades
    Death Nova: Physical 3- When this unit is destroyed, it deals 11 Physical damage to each champion and Relic within 2 spaces, and deals half that much damage to any Shrine within 2 spaces. This damage ignores DEF.
    Death Nova: Poison 3- When this unit is destroyed, it deals 11 Poison damage to each champion and Relic within 2 spaces, and deals half that much damage to any Shrine within 2 spaces. This damage ignores DEF.
    Plant Regeneration 3- While occupying Grass, Vegetation, Dirt, or Water, this champion has Regeneration 3 (At the beginning of your turn, this unit heals 6 HP).
    Stat Bonus: Health 3- This champion has +8 HP.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  2. Xirone

A simple and affordable common-level champion that is part arthropod and part plant. Depending on the upgrades, one can make his death really hurt the opponent or make it so he can live long and trigger Splintering repeatedly. He is meant to help develop an arthropod sub-theme in KF or, alternatively, be played successfully in a Plant/Treefolk deck.

Edit: I am toying with the idea of putting Inspire as an upgrade if I can think of a thematic way for it to fit. Splintering and Inspire is a combo that I don't think exists, yet.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  3. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

I like the theme. It's suppose to be a stick bug right?

The gimmick with this rune would be it's survivability (Latch On, Hidden, & Regen) combined with splintering; it doesn't need to be particularly durable to do that. There's an ability called Spontaneous Regeneration that regenerates 9 health in response to being dealt 20 damage in a turn. Regenerating health might fit the fantasy better than raw defense, considering what faction it would be in. I would suggest lowering it's defense by 1 & it's HP by 4-6, and adding in the Regeneration & Vulnerability: Fire to base. Also, i don't think it needs access to more than one Death Nova (Poison doesn't fit anyways) as that would be very very powerful.

I would be interested in seeing how Latch On interacts with Hidden. If it doesn't break stealth, then it would be extremely powerful combined with a Death Nova.

I think it would look better like this:

Stick Bug
    Race: Arthropod, Plant, Class: None, Size: Small, Rarity: Uncommon
    Artwork: A well disguised arthropod that resembles a thin tree branch. The creature has very long and slender legs that each end in a small pincher.
    Flavor-Text: "Where did he go off to now? Finding kindling shouldn't take this long."
    Nora Cost: 58

Champion Stats
    DMG:
    9, SPD: 5, RNG: 1, DEF: 1, HP: 44

Champion Abilities
    Attack: Physical-
    This unit makes a Physical attack at its Range. This is a basic attack.
    Creep and Crawl- While 4 or more friendly champions with this ability are in play, this unit gains Climb and an additional rank of Multiattack.
    Hidden: Vegetation- At the end of your turn, if this champion occupies Vegetation, it becomes Stealthed. Otherwise, it loses Stealthed.
    Plant Regeneration 3- While occupying Grass, Vegetation, Dirt, or Water, this champion has Regeneration 3 (At the beginning of your turn, this unit heals 6 HP).
    Latch On- For the next 3 turns this unit stays adjacent to target champion while it moves. Target unit gains Lumbering. CD: 2, AP: 1
    Splintering- After this champion deals Physical damage to a champion on a close-combat attack, this champion loses 4 HP and gets +2 DMG.
    Vulnerability: Fire- When this unit takes Fire damage, that damage is increased by 40% (after DEF).

Champion Upgrades
    Death Nova: Physical 3-
    When this unit is destroyed, it deals 11 Physical damage to each champion and Relic within 2 spaces, and deals half that much damage to any Shrine within 2 spaces. This damage ignores DEF.
    Domain: Vegetation- This unit gains +2 DMG, +1 DEF, and Mobility (This champion may disengage the turn it becomes Engaged and disengages for 0 AP) while occupying Vegetation.
    Spontaneous Regeneration- For every 20 damage this champion takes in a single turn, it is healed for 9 HP.
    Stat Bonus: Health 3- This champion has +8 HP.

4. Xirone

Prami, your slightly altered version would work just fine as well. I am not the biggest fan of the ability Spontaneous Regeneration but that is more because it is such a strong ability rather than it being an issue of it not fitting (which it could fit on this champ). Either way, more bugs and snakes for KF in 2014!

5. Prami

It's just that most of your runes don't seem terribly focused in what they do. It complicates the game, and forces to the player to memorize far too much, when there are upgrade paths that fundamentally change how a champion is played. I don't want to see that sort of thing in the game. With all of the attention your ideas get, I'm afraid it will become a design philosophy.

One should be able to look at the same champion, deployed in multiple games, and have a more than general idea of what it's going to do, without reading every ability.

And yeah, i would love to see a series of non-Plant/Treefolk that have interaction with the Treefolk theme e.g. Tireless Harvester. There's also room for split-faction themes. KF already has Fire going as a split theme, poison with FS is halfway there. It just seems like a forest should be full of bugs. There should be more.

6. Onifrk

Onifrk New Member

Interesting idea over all.
    I fully agree with "more bugs and snakes for KF" I enjoy interesting theme decks.
    but I disagree with "One should be able to look at the same champion, deployed in multiple games, and have a more than general idea of what it's going to do, without reading every ability." If I did not want to have to pay attention or think I would play something other than a turn based strategy game. Again, just my thoughts.

Xirone likes this.
  7. Prami

There's a big difference between having a game that you have to think about & apply stratagems to, and having a game that's all but impossible to learn because there are no consistencies.

I'm not suggesting that upgrades shouldn't be significant, but a champions core identity should be evident without them.

Champions that are fundamentally different do to upgrade choices, abilities that have 3 tiers and few runes that use the variations, & champions that have too many effects on them to read. Things like this need to disappear, or Pox Nora will never be accessible. This would be a shame, because Poxnora has a lot of potential & the new developers seem enthusiastic.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  8. Pico

Pico I need me some PIE!

I like Xirone's version of the bug. And I actually disagree with you prami that it lacks a focus-- It latches onto champions and beats down on them a bit, and it either regenerates and is tanky (Through plant regen and the stat bonus) or has two death Nova's and is squishier yet packs a punch when it dies, making it a volatile harasser of ranged units in my eyes, mainly enabled through hidden: vegetation.

Onifrk and Xirone like this.
  9. Prami

He said that the focus for the champion was Splintering, combined with it's survivability; it didn't seem functional without innate regeneration or extremely high resilience to damage. Asides from the Treefolk, high defense isn't exactly Kf's thing.
    A champion that is designed to die in a particular way, as a part of it's kit, isn't suited for high nora cost (it's also a stick-bug), so it's well suited for detrimental abilities & a lower Nora cost than first envisioned.
    The 2 Death Nova's as upgrade choices are not only extraordinarily powerful if both chosen (poison doesn't fit anyways), but creates 2 distinctly different styles of play depending on what's chosen.

KF doesn't need a walking Death Nova for a champion. FW already has that niche covered nicely, thanks.

P.S. No, i don't find stick-bugs to be inspiring in the least. They kind of creep me out actually.

10. Pico

Pico I need me some PIE!

It is 62 nora in his version, which is in no way whatsoever a high nora cost for a champion. And yes it's upgrade choices create two different playstyles completely, that is WONDERFUL and what upgrades should do-- allow variety! Also, KF does has a walking death nova, a couple of them at that, most recently the perfected runner.

I mean for synergy's sake it could be a treefolk (it is a 'stick' bug) so it could be used for fuel, and then have a home in Devotee BGs as fuel fodder and a bomb at that.

Xirone likes this.
  11. Prami

I don't count the most recent expansion. It's a joke.

12. Pico

Pico I need me some PIE!

Tortun Grenadier, Thirion, and Vashal Quillback all also have Death Nova's available to them, and are not from Bonds of War.

13. Prami

But they don't have more than one Death Nova, and they aren't designed to latch onto an enemy and die, as a part of their kits.

I kept 1 Death Nova on my modified interpretation (seen above).

14. Xirone

Thanks for the conversation guys!

15. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

It would be nice to have more arthropods that work with plants, the two we have in KF now seem to be designed to work with trees, I mean, the tireless harvester obviously, and the tree spider has domain vegetation.
    I'm thinking that they could be related in a way similar to jakeis and elementals, not neccessarily with a similar mechanic, but in the way that they can work in a independent way using other kind of synergies

Xirone likes this.
  16. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Xirone, your Stick has been noted. Continue discussing it because the note will have a link to this thread.

Woffleet likes this.
  17. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

cool idea

18. BloodAshes

BloodAshes The King of Potatoes

1+ Really like this idea :)

19. Xirone

Well since this idea has been noted, I'll update it a little to reflect changes in champion design...

20. Xirone

Stick Bug (Revamp Edition)
    Faction: K'thir Forest
    Race: Arthropod, Plant, Class: None, Size: Small
    Rarity:
    Uncommon
    Flavor-Text: "Where did he go off to now? Finding kindling shouldn't take this long." -Ar, Goblin Archer
    Nora Cost: 58-65

Champion Stats

DMG: 8, SPD: 5, RNG: 1, DEF: 1, HP: 48

Champion Abilities
    Attack: Physical- This unit makes a Physical attack at its Range. This is a basic attack.

Champion Upgrade Path 1
    Death Nova: Physical (2), Death Nova: Physical (3), or Death Nova: Physical (4)

Champion Upgrade Path 2
    Death Nova: Poison (2), Hidden: Vegetation
    , or Plant Regeneration (2)

Woffleet likes this.