Stop re-skinning champions pls

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProR2D2, Mar 22, 2014.

1. ProR2D2

ProR2D2 I need me some PIE!

I think its a waste of time.
    Re-drawing older runes and making them look more realistic should be more important for the art team than re-skining champions that already look good. There are also some spells that have the same sounds and animations even though they are different which confuses players.

Think about league of legends how are they addressing older champions by giving them visual improvements and reworking them as a priority over skins, even thought skins is what gives them revenue, because that prevents the game from becoming stale.
    And since you can't get limited runes with gold anymore, there is no point in re-skinning if you can't choose which skin do you like.

TL';DR
    Insert a quote (like the "DOOOOOOM" quote of doombringers) into the limited edition runes but not on the legendaries ones. That should make collectors feel better. Enraged Sentry and mountain sentry are good examples.

Now the art team can focus in more important things imo.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    Goyo and Prami like this.
  2. Poxbrothers

Poxbrothers Devotee of the Blood Owl

They reskinned runes so that new players could have access to all the runes, while old players and collectors would still be happy because of their unique LE version.
    I think it's an incredibly great decision and I hope they will add more reskins.
    Perhaps there are few other things that need graphical attention (though in my opinion this is NOT more important than reskins).

On a sidenote I think that the logo's for every ability should be different, with a colored border for abilities that fall underneath a same category (as suggested by someone else), so that could use some graphical work.
    Similar animations/sound effects as you say could use some work too I suppose, though I do not think it's as important as you make it out to be, I for myself never even really noticed this.

In short I don't think it's more important than the reskins for the reasons explained above.

Sincerely,

Josh753

Zenity likes this.
  3. ProR2D2

Limited runes already have their Legendary version without the need of re-skin, so new players already have access to them.
    Its Novelty for the sake of novelty and shouldn't be a priority over improving older champions that look like stickers and are in need of visual improvements.

Sincerely,

ProR2D2

4. Poxbrothers

Poxbrothers Devotee of the Blood Owl

There is a need of a reskin because else it doesn't feel like a LE, it doesn't feel different, nor unique so not really worth collecting (the ugly golden ones barely have any appeal, let alone if they were to be exact the same).

What old champions are in "severe need" of visual improvements in your opinion?

As in my opinion at the current point it's more important to keep new players and old players happy while gaining an income flow so the game stays upfloat, with which reskins help a lot.

Sincerely,

Josh753

5. ProR2D2

About collector/LE runes:
    Insert a quote (like the "DOOOOOOM" quote that doombringers have) into the limited edition runes but not on the legendaries ones. That should make collectors feel better, rather than turning a beautifull mirefolk rune into an alien (heh e) for non-collectors. Enraged Sentry and mountain sentry are good examples.

Now the art team can focus in more important things imo.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    Jovahnel likes this.
  6. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

The biggest problem is that the re-skins aren't for the LE champions, they're for the legendary ones. Right? I don't actually have one to check.

7. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

That's correct, it's currently being done kinda' backwards then how you would think it would work.
    LE = current runes
    LEG = New skinned LE versions

I do think this is important to make all runes reasonably accessible to players.
    Doom balls and a lot of unique runes (haunting spirit, bog zombie, etc) should also have respective LEG versions.

If you want to go hardcore I'd also say reskinning the harbs into their own LEG would also be warranted but that may be too bloody a fight right now.

8. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

You're also forgetting that Pox doesn't really have an "art team" - just a list of independent artists they buy art off of.

9. Dantezz

Dantezz Member

I like re-skins. It's just fun, there should be more fun in Pox. People take it way to seriously.

10. Prami

What's wrong with that?

11. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

IIRC they have a person who works on sprites and does other artistic stuffs? If that's the case, and the current workload allows for her (I think) to do this and not take away from the game, then great.

It creates a demand for the rune. One that I do not understand from a practical perspective. The data has shown that if you make something shiney, then someone will go "ooo" and try to grab it. People are like sheep, or in this case, raccoons. It makes business sense.

12. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

First off you can't use leauge of legends and compare it with this game we don't have an art team for millions of players who cling to the game.

Second whatever leauge does people who play it will sway twist and turn to whatever they do it cannot become stale lol..

13. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

Well first of all it would cost more money to re-draw the runes And if they want a similar style, they would have to find the same artist and plan to his schedule. This then becomes dependent upon the original artist since there were issues with a couple of them (remember darkmarsh sorceror taking backgrounds off deviantart?) and so on. There' a ton of issues :p

14. Prami

It doesn't need to be the same artist. They could release different editions (different portrait artwork) of the same rune, as LE versions of the respective normal rune.
    Why does the new artwork need to be by the same artist? There could be completely different styled artwork and it would be fine. DOG could also host a perpetual "content", offering in game rewards for implementable player artwork (fanart).

15. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

If you feel there is some strong need for one of the sprites for some reason to be updated, feel free to list them. You make an argument that PoxNora should stop doing one thing, but I am still a bit unclear what you would rather have them do. Specifics would be nice. Also, these updated runes could also potentially be made legendary, but then we'd just be reskinning champions and runes, so given my interpretation of the original post, we'd be at a wash =/.

16. Faust

Faust Devotee of the Blood Owl

Accualy i like re skin's they are cool and makes some runes unique like x mass heroes isran, aria or so