Targeted Advertising

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alakhami, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

A week ago I was talking on the phone with my mother about whether we should go to Norway or Iceland for summer holidays. Now I look at my mail and I have an ad for flight tickets to Norway. I think it'd be unwise to dismiss it as a coincidence. Does this mean that phone calls are being monitored for such purposes? (maybe it's AI since the summer part in the conversation was implicit.) Has anyone had a similar experience before? Is this even legal?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Oh god, I remember seeing this video a few months ago.

TLDR the guy talks to his wife about "catfood" on the phone. He doesnt have cats, doesnt search cats or catfood, etc. The next day, facebook gives him an ad for catfood.
    Seems like a similar experience. Shouldnt be suprising that our privacy is being sold out. This isnt full proof, but it doesnt seem unrealistic whatsoever.

3. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

I'm gonna have to say confirmation bias on this one. just test it. should work every time if that's what is happening right?

4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I mean, it doesnt sound like a 100% foolproof thing. If they have something running picking up keywords, sure. But they'd have to link it to your facebook account (assuming you have your number added to your profile).

I dont use facebook to begin with and Im not about to start again. It does seem paranoid, however at the sane time it wouldnt surprise me if it was true.

5. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I talk about stuff all the time and never get pointed advertisements. Maybe the AI can’t translate my Texas accent?

Alakhami and Dagda like this.