Terrorist Attacks in Belgium: Europe United?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DarkJello, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Tweek516 likes this.
  2. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

The cost of shipping is paltry compared to what you originally seemed to think - which was that police depts were buying this stuff at cost. Can you admit you were mistaken?

3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Nope, I still think it's a waste of taxpayer money. It is just an opinion. Maybe you think it's not a waste of money, and you are entitled to that opinion (I am not actually sure how you feel about it).

Note that I never claimed any specific amount was spent, so there's no way for me to be mistaken about said amount.

In any case, even if it costs just $2000 to ship a mine resistant vehicle to a particular location... it's still a waste of money if the area doesn't even have a need for such a vehicle. Of course, even if we just look at shipping cost we are ignoring the opportunity costs.

4. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Geressen likes this.
  5. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

$2,000 for a transport vehicle is a waste of money? ok.

6. Sokolov

If they don't need it, it is a waste of money, especially when considering opportunity costs and other external costs.

In the case of MRAPs:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/dec/27/world/la-fg-afghanistan-armor-20131227

"As they are "demilitarized," many of the MRAPs are sold as scrap metal to eager Afghan buyers.

It costs about $12,000 to crunch and dispose of a single MRAP here, said Mark E. Wright, a Defense Department spokesman. To ship one back to the U.S. and rebuild it to current standards would cost $250,000 to $450,000, he said. Selling the vehicles as scrap instead of shipping them home and refitting them will consequently save about $500 million, Wright said.
    "

In other words, to bring one back to the US from overseas it'd cost 6 figures. Even if the local department then pays just $2000 for it, the actual cost to taxpayers is significant.

Of course, we don't know if the true cost of shipping and other such things for the ones that are in the hands of police now, but the point is that the cost is non-zero, and if they don't need it, it's a waste of money.

7. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

jesus, what a ripoff. they only cost $500k brand new and you're gonna spend $450k to ship it???

8. Sokolov

According to the article I linked, they cost 1 million a piece.

9. Sokolov

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/mar/25/us-bill-equipment-home-afghanistanMA

""Our workload will at least double by the beginning of the fall," said Brigadier General Steve Shapiro, deputy commander of the unit overseeing the removal, sale or destruction of around $26bn worth of equipment, known to the military as a "retrograde".

"We're hearing about $6bn in transportation costs," he said, as civilians and US soldiers sorted and labelled new arrivals in one of three 60,000 sq ft warehouses on Bagram airbase which currently holds around $200m worth of neatly stacked equipment.
    ""

Shipping expensive :(

10. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Well, I mean, police could probably get a brand new transport for $500k.

Instead they're getting a $1M used war machine that they don't need for $450k. Just doesn't really sound like a great bargain for the taxpayers

11. Sokolov

Yea. I mean, that's assuming they are procuring a MRAP that was shipped back, of course. It's possible some of the MRAPs that have been given out were never overseas so they'd be much cheaper relatively speaking.

12. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

since it mentions the sherrif riding it in a parade but no longer doing that nowI think the tank mentioned here may be the second armoured vehicle in the post i put pictures in not the mobile artillery piece as this is him riding the "tank"
    [​IMG]

so this IFV ( Infantry fighting vehicle) was taken away after being supplied to them trough the program.
    [​IMG]

not this decomisioned Self propelled artillery
    [​IMG]
    both will be called tanks by some people.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  13. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Should I change the thread title too "Fraud, Waste, And Abuse: MuriKa's Legacy that Never, Ever, Never Happens in Europe... Or Communist Countries Either"??

On Topic:

March 22, 2016

Belgian and European authorities knew this day was coming and they couldn't stop it. Beyond the loss of life, that is the most troubling aspect of today's bombings.

Europe's counterterrorism defenses have cracked because there are simply too many threats to track. An unnamed Belgian counterterrorism official made a similar point
    during a recent interview with BuzzFeed News. Citing this official, BuzzFeed reported that "virtually every police detective and military intelligence officer in [Belgium] was focused on international jihadi investigations."

"We just don't have the people to watch anything else and, frankly, we don't have the infrastructure to properly investigate or monitor hundreds of individuals suspected of terror links, as well as pursue the hundreds of open files and investigations we have," this same official told BuzzFeed.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/isis-overwhelming-europes-counterterrorism-forces/article/2001676

Geressen likes this.
  14. Sokolov

No, you should change it to "tanks are hella cool."

DarkJello and Geressen like this.
  15. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

no, we should get back to the topic. but there is a side topic that exists because I wanted to make clear that europe doesn't send cops out with machineguns to do traffic stops.

I saw a policeman wearing a uniform buy some milk in a supermarket today though.

[​IMG]

Just look at those sweet assault guns dealing with their homoerotic tension

anyways the Netherlands sold some leopards and didn't have tanks for a while but now there is a dutch tank company under a german batallion. so hopefully that satisfies?
    ( though we still have a load of CV9035's but those are Infantry fighting vehicles and not tanks technically)

so we didn't have tanks but we have these;
    [​IMG]
    150 standard models armed with a 35mm rapidfire cannon capable of firing up to 200 rounds per minute relatively easy to modify to fire 50mm rounds. heavy armour and capable of ferrying 7 fully loaded soldiers into combat.
    and a further 34 command vehicles.
    and 9 training versions.

we also have some PanzerHaubitze 2000
    [​IMG]

But we had no tanks while we had those. this is very important, these two things up there ARE NOT TANKS AND THE ONLY TANKS WE HAVE CURRENTLY ARE A DUTCH COMPANY IN A GERMAN BATALLION.

are we clear on the tank situation?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    Pattn199 and DarkJello like this.
  16. DarkJello

17. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Arpaio aside, MRAPs have been sent/rented to many different Sheriff and Police districts around the US. As near as I can tell, it's done for 2 reasons:

1. In event of civil unrest the tanks will be in place for use (the feds do seem to be gearing up for that for the last decade or so.

2. The feds get to shunt the maintanence and such costs to those local outfits.

Anyway, I think, as much as I can appreciate the esthetic of an MRAP, I'd much rather focus on what's more important here, and the only real reason people are tuning into this thread:

Cute police-women.

(In all seriousness, I'm glad that at least so far it doesn't seem that anyone on the forums was seriously injured. I hope that trend continues. Good luck to you all in Belgium and especially Brussels and it's surrounding area.)

DarkJello and Geressen like this.
  18. DarkJello

Super cute ladies that are lethal is hawt.

Just found this pic:

[​IMG]

Geressen likes this.
  19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

it's scarier if you know it's basicaly praise jesus/god willing in a diffirent language and the reasoning behind the action is prety similar.

basically Isis followers are this woman with more desperation, a clearly defined enemy and a bigger support network of likeminded people.

DarkJello likes this.
  20. DarkJello

With a LOT more desperation/Kraziness, since it does not appear she plans to kill innocents in the name of some sky wizard that a dude invented 1400 years ago.

Geressen likes this.