The algorithm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poxbrothers, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Poxbrothers

Poxbrothers Devotee of the Blood Owl

Hello,

I have been pondering quite a bit before even thinking of making this thread, but I find the need to express my opinion on the algorithm used.

I dislike the algorithm, because in my opinion it's impossible to balance a game as complex as Pox Nora through an algorithm. It makes it hard to get balance patches the right way as the algorithm does not take into account the synergy with the stats/abilities the champ has. Nerfing one OP champ, causes some "normal champs" with the same ability to become shoebox, buffing a bad champ, causes "normal champs" with the same ability to become OP.

The algorithm is a good base to work with but in my opinion it's time to from here on start manually tweaking the champs. Meaning increasing/decreasing the cost of an ability on a certain champ to balance that champ. Yes, this does mean the same ability might have different costs depending on what champ it's on. You could call it "synergy cost" (for example Hawk Attack is to efficient on the falconer, it could get +1/+2/+3 nora "synergy cost).

Of course all this is my opinion and I'm curious as to what other people think, so feel free to share your thoughts on the matter.

Sincerely,

Josh753

2. MogaBait

MogaBait I need me some PIE!

I'd like to see the algorithm be treated with more reference to parametric constraints. Just start off with some basic relationships ie. make an increase in defence adjust the noracost/hp ratio to be higher instead of just a flat out increase in price.

Once basic champion statistics are constrained, build this up by classifying abilities into categories (aggressive, defensive, utility, support, mobility, cheap meat, etc.) and having stacked abilities within the same category offer a further price increase.

You can't get this exactly right, as with most things. That is where gradual abstraction and approximation come in.

davre likes this.
  3. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

if you give a champ abilities that synergize with each other like block 2 and riposte for example, you DONT also make it a champ that has stats comparable with other champs. You make its stats WORSE. that's how you price internal synergy while sticking to an algorithm. there might be a fair way to price 40 hps vs 10 hps. but we all know that the 10 hp champ is going to have a much harder time bringing its abilities to bear.

of course you could always STOP making champs that have synergistic ability sets and require players to learn how to build a deck, but whatever.

4. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I believe the tree patch...was mainly manual adjustments.