The best review I can find of The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ragic, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

wrong, she has these. more so than Luke. mostly concerning her abandonment issues and self deception.
    correct.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  2. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Look I will explain why people think you are a kool-aid drinking right winger.
    https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Cultural_Marxism

3. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Good News Gressen, Blizzard has started policing the social media of their playerbase. I'm sure that makes you happy. If you cant have big government syping on its citizens, at least you can have big corporations doing it. amiright?

4. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Good News Ragic, your momma so fat her gravitational pull allows for people to travel into the future simply because of her proximity slowing them down in relation to everything else.

5. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

When I saw flaws, I mean flaws as it relates to a character archetype. In a narrative, these flaws must have a tangible impact on the choices the character makes. The character must confront their flaws at some point in the story, and the resolution of the character's story should demonstrate that their behaviour has changed following this confrontation.

When has Rey's abandonment issues influenced a decision that affected the broader narrative (making the situation worse from the audience's point of view)? When did she confront these abandonment issues? How do her decisions following the confrontation affect the storyline?

When has Rey's self-deception issues influenced a decision that affected the broader narrative (making the situation worse from the audience's point of view)? When did she confront these self-deception issues? How do her decisions following the confrontation affect the storyline?

One of the most telling characteristics of a Mary Sue is the presence of a superficial flaw, which makes the audience more sympathetic to the character but doesn't actually affect the story in a meaningful way. In poorly written fanfiction this will be something dumb like a visible birthmark. Rey's flaw is psychological but it has the same effect on the story as having freckles.

Alakhami likes this.
  6. davre

https://medium.com/@josvchoi/the-la...-assassination-of-luke-skywalker-38fe0190d01a

^This article makes a strong case for the above. Rey's character is just not a good character. It's not because Disney has concocted some grand conspiracy to trigger Millenial Male Video Game Players (the most important demographic!!!!!!!), but because the film makers have focused on special effects and callbacks rather than the mythology that made the original trilogy so successful (and which the prequels, for all their flaws, at least understood).

Alakhami likes this.
  7. Ragic

and the reason that happened is because sjw's cant come up with a compelling story or characters on their own. instead they infect existing franchises, and then ruin them.

see marvel comics

8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I never said it was.

9. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

yes... yes it is.

10. davre

Subjective statement based on undefined ideas.
    I don't even know what "See marvel comics" is trying to argue and I'm not going to do your work for you to figure out what you are trying to say here.
    There is no substance to the things you say and there is no intellectual benefit to engaging with what could barely be considered "ideas" behind your post.

When I say "is not a good character", I mean "is a Mary Sue".

11. Ragic

plus he has an English accent, so it should feel very 'intellectual' for you.

Alakhami likes this.
  12. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

those are two seperat things that do not mean the same thing at all.
    not all bad character are mary sue.
    you claimed she was a mary sue.

13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

@Alakhami

14. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

they seem to be getting some good reviews from those that like to analyse them to understand how political mythologies and ideologies play out in the narrative of blockbusters to understand the ideology that sychopants concomitantly produce.
    Have you watched the most recent ones? What's your opinion on their political messages?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  15. Alakhami

I haven't watched too many films with Mary Sues but you could provide some examples with good and deep movies that feature her as a lead character?

16. davre

Let's not get into semantics please.
    I claimed she was a Mary Sue.
    You said she was not and cited her flaws.
    My following statement was intended as a rebuttal to that comment, which is why it began by quoting it. A "bad character" does not implicitly mean a "Mary Sue". You are correct in this. A Mary Sue is a bad character though. All my comments suggested that she was both a bad character and a Mary Sue. The article I linked to demonstrate that she was a bad character also explicitly called her a Mary Sue. There should be no reason to believe that I abandoned the idea that she was a Mary Sue when I started calling her a bad character. I believe that she is both. The statements and article I presented reinforce both those arguments. Don't cherry pick.

17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I said Ragic's mom was fat if I then start talking about his dad that's a different issue.
    please don't use words that are not interchangeable as kf tney are and Ragic wouldn't have these problems.

18. Ragic

@davre how's your intellectual discussion with Gressen going?

19. Alakhami

so you guys -- assuming from talking to you for a while now, forgive me if this generalization offends you -- call those so called "conspiracy theorists nazis while basing your counter argument on a wiredrawn semantic assumption, which is a typical trait of a postmodern grammar-****?

20. Ragic

hrm, how can I tie in Blizzard's SJW tendancies and Gressen's disrespect for the varied body types of women.....