The big champion changes, started yet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fikule, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

qft

2. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

The way I see it.... for the leveling system to be made a core aspect of the game, the way it works would have to be changed drastically from the current system. Right now, the leveling of champions only exists so that you can get the two upgradeable abilities, and all the work from leveling can be minimized by using coins (or trading for already leveled champs). The way I see it, leveling is not a core aspect of the way the game is designed and it is largely useless.

Personally, and I know others will disagree, I think we should get rid of the actual leveling of champs. However, keeping the upgrade system would still be beneficial. When you get a new champ out of a box, you can put it in your battlegroup. Then, just as you can now, you can choose two of the four upgrades available. This adds the same customization that we have now. However, with the revamp, I would suggest to make the upgraded abilities more versatile to playstyles rather than certain auto-upgrades. With the simplification of abilities that people suggest and the streamlining of roles, I think that this system can be perfected to a much higher degree than it currently is, and it wouldn't change the nature of the upgrades.

Sirius likes this.
  3. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Also, for the love of god, make upgrades battle group specific.

4. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

That actually may be harder than it appears.

Each individual rune is given its own number, and if you use the same rune in multiple battle groups, the upgrades follow. In fact, if you trade a rune with me, I will get that rune with the upgrades.

This is most likely due to the fact that the engine of the game still has some memory of how upgrades worked way back in with the the original rune forger, where you could have a relatively high level of customization due to spending various amounts of CP thus leading to potentially a much higher level of customization/uniqueness due to all of the possible combinations you could have on a given rune.

5. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

I don't see why that would make it harder. weather its the champ or the battlegroup that has to remember the upgrade info, its still the same amount of info. actually it would be easier for each battlegroup to remember the upgrade choices (upgrade 2 and 4 for example) for each champ. Even if the champ itself remembers its last used upgrades, it could still be overwritten by the info in the battlegroup.

6. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

I'm talking about how the game was designed, not about the amount of information.

It's obviously speculation since I am not a developer, but that is what I imagine is happening.

7. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

Right now a BG could be stored as a simple list of rune IDs, so depending on how it's currently set up, adding upgrade information could require some refactoring.

Also, while it would make it possible to have different upgrades per BG, it could be pretty annoying if you have many similar BGs and have to remember to change a champ in all of them, when your preferences change. You could work around that with a "reset champ to these upgrades in all BGs" function, but that's really starting to get convoluted...

8. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It doesn't currently work that way, therefore to make it that way is harder.

Also, by definition it is more information to store, as in the current case each champ has one unique pairing with its upgrades, whereas in the battlegroup specific upgrade scheme there are as many potential pairings as the player wants.

Plus the way you view runes now all assumes it has fixed upgrades... so there'd be a bunch of stuff to fix there too to how runes are displayed in checklists and such.

9. Kimiz

Kimiz Active Member

Cool, I did it aswell. Actually I was doing it when you first joined the game.
    And yet during the years I had to disagree with several of your balance suggestions, which for some seemed to be made based on a personal whim or suppositions rather than extensive testing.
    Not saying you can't make good propositions either and I don't want to get into a useless quarell but you have such a high opinion of yourself and tend to disregard other's suggestions and it pisses me off sometimes.
    Just get back on earth a little bit please.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  10. Nebron

Nebron I need me some PIE!

lol who are you again?

11. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Yep. I cant vary between playing boghoppers and aquatics because the tide masters need to be skilled differently and I can't be arsed to bother with the rune manager for five minutes each time.