The daily show on pro-life

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

For me it is a different kind of choice.

One is "do we add another unwanted baby to the world?"

The other is "do we want remove a human being from the world?"

The latter is obviously taking a life... the former is... more ambiguous. Of course, if you believe life begins at conception and thus abortion is always killing, then you might word those questions differently - which, of course, is one of the fundamental cruxes of the pro-life/pro-choice debate.

2. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

If the issue is children being aborted due to convenience, the solution is to prevent pregnancy better, not make more alternatives to bring the unwanted unborn to life.

3. Sokolov

In either case, I think the CONSEQUENCES of having so many more unwanted babies has to be considered.

There should be a plan, if abortion is to be made more restrictive or illegal.

4. Sokolov

As I said, I really don't understand why pro-life politicians are anti-contraception. It's mind boggling.

IMAGIRL and darklord48 like this.
  5. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Don't you know, sex is only for conception. Anyone having sex for any other reason is a sinner. /s

6. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

In ambiguous situation siding with the possibly morally devastating option is pretty irresponsible in my opinion. Even if there would clearly be an unsolvable scientific problem one should side with the safe side.

Why exactly not both? I'm not your average crazy nut that wants women disenfranchised, contraception banned, guns liberalized and foreigners shot at dawn.

7. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

We were cleared to adopt 6/15, and within a few weeks 2 kids joined our family. Youngest was 3-years-old. Sadly, the financial cost is in the exact range that u stated. And even worse, a black male is MUCH less expensive than any other option. I find that very, very disheartening. We will be able to use a tax loophole to get back a big chunk of the adoption cost, so it ends up not being too expensive if one has the patience to be frugal for many years. I also agree that the interviews and paperwork were a HUGE hassle, just as Sok declared. Lawyer got his chunk of change too. Sad panda. I know plenty of folks that have adopted, and a LOT more that would if the cost was not so daRn high. Sad reality.

8. DarkJello

My wife disagrees with you.

9. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Transplanting fetuses would require the woman to carry the fetus long enough for the transplant to be viable. While technology would likely improve over time, it would still force a woman into an unwanted situation for a baby that the world probably doesn't need.

10. Sokolov

I am not sure what the solution is there. I mean, I LIKE that the process is thorough to try and ensure the kids get a good home, and in some ways the cost AND time hopefully means only those who REALLY want a kid will self-select into the process. (And I am of the camp that says interviews in general mean jack in most cases.)

But it is super restrictive...

Incidentally, many large companies like Google will help pay for adoption (in some cases all of the costs).

DarkJello likes this.
  11. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

This is 3 seperate thoughts but please read each of them individurally.

Also, even if we do take a pro life choice in the matter, and somehow skirt a long list of possible complications including and i'm not joking (complete tearing all the way to the A$$hole) There's no guarantee that the mother will safely deliver the baby, and that one or both might not die. While aborting all but guarantees the the life of the mother. Pessimistic thoughts, yes, but shouldn't we deal with the babies who are here before worrying about trying to find unbirthed babies homes?

Both using the same argument, both questions equally important.

Even more interesting is a gaming decision where I've not found a true answer. Listen to the hypothetical decision the player has to answer. Note Kollossae is basically the term for their people. Giants who favor strength in any form.
    In the game Kindoms of Amalur: Reckong DLC Teeth of Naros there is an philosophy area where you have to debate people. If you've ever played the game, and questioned Thais 3 times, giving all 3 answers, you should see that ANY choice could've been the right one. An it's not an easy choice to make.

Note: I can't find a vid on this, and I don't feel like reinstalling the game to get to this point then record it, uploaded it ect. So I'll give you the gist of the answers, the questions are true.. If anyone can find a vid or has the ability to do so please. Cause I firking want it, and not just for this example. That question was a masterpiece in the game.

Thais "A torrential storm sweeps a youngling and a full-grown Kollossae into the flow of a big river. There's only time to save one. Which should one choose to save?"

Option A: Save the mother
    Option B: Save the child
    Option C: Save neither

Responses base on choice.

Option A: "Really? I see, I guess it does make sense to save one who has proven their strength over one who hasn't."
    Option B: "Interesting, you'd forgo saving one who has proven their strength for the potential of greater strength."
    Option C: "Both have shown their weakness by getting caught in the first place."

Again, they value strength, and not strength as we know it. It's not brawn they worship but the embodiment of well, strength itself. Suffice to say it's been a while if ever that I've had respect for a video game race, and well. Their's is inspiring. <3

strength
    streNG(k)TH/
    noun
    1. 1.
      the quality or state of being strong, in particular.
      • physical power and energy.
        noun: strength
        "cycling can help you build up your strength"
        synonyms: power, brawn, muscle, muscularity, burliness, sturdiness,robustness, toughness, hardiness; More

• the emotional or mental qualities necessary in dealing with situations or events that are distressing or difficult.
        "many people find strength in religion"
        synonyms: fortitude, resilience, spirit, backbone, strength of character;
        courage,bravery, pluck, pluckiness, courageousness, grit, mettle;
        informalguts, spunk
        "her great inner strength"
      • the capacity of an object or substance to withstand great force or pressure.
        "they were taking no chances with the strength of the retaining wall"
        synonyms: robustness, sturdiness, firmness, toughness, soundness, solidity,durability
        "the strength of the retaining wall"
      • the influence or power possessed by a person, organization, or country.
        "the political and military strength of European governments"
        synonyms: power, influence, dominance, ascendancy, supremacy; More

• the degree of intensity of a feeling or belief.
        "street protests demonstrated the strength of feeling against the president"
        synonyms: intensity, vehemence, force, forcefulness, depth, ardor, fervor
        "the strength of feeling against the president"
      • the cogency of an argument or case.
        "the strength of the argument for property taxation"
        synonyms: cogency, forcefulness, force, weight, power, potency,persuasiveness, soundness, validity
        "the strength of their argument"
    2. 2.
      a good or beneficial quality or attribute of a person or thing.
      "the strengths and weaknesses of their sales and marketing operation"
      synonyms: strong point, advantage, asset, forte, aptitude, talent, skill;
      specialty
      "what are your strengths?"
    3. 3.
      the number of people comprising a group, typically a team or army.
      "the peacetime strength of the army was 415,000"
      synonyms: size, extent, magnitude
      "the strength of the army"
    Source

12. DarkJello

What percentage of pro-life politicians are also anti-contraception?

What percentage of pro-life voters are also anti-contraception?

13. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Seconded.

14. Boozha

Nobody asks whether the world needs humans. Your rights aren't dependent on whether or not "the world needs you" by the arbitrary standards of some self-righteous dude. Equal rights or none. As for the woman having to carry a fetus for a while ... so? Parents are oblieged to care for their children, children are oblieged to care for their parents, everyone is bound by the social contract to care for everyone else. You can't just live carefree without *any* responsibility for your actions.
    It has to be somewhat restrictive so people don't get children for really illicit purposes, but the system probably could need an overhaul.

DarkJello likes this.
  15. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

The issue I see is that even if a voter is pro life and pro contraception, historically Republicans tend to be anti contraception and Democrats are pro choice.

16. Boozha

Why only outlines the absurdity and uselessness of your moronic two party system. Democracy my ass.

darklord48 and IMAGIRL like this.
  17. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Too true.

18. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Now we are back to the question of when a fertilized egg is considered a human.

19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

pro-life is mostly anti-women

yes men can desire children, however if it is not medicaly safe or undesired it should be the womans right to have control over her own body and terminate he pregnancy (before the embryo is too developed)

IMAGIRL and darklord48 like this.
  20. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

when it has grown a complex nerve system capable of sustaining life and growth independent of the host.