The fine line you tread (and have stepped over)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Querthose, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Querthose

Querthose The King of Potatoes

I've been playing Pox for many years now (Since Grimlic), and I've seen the game go through many phases. I remember what it was like in the beginning and what it became.

While I agree that powercreep began to be a bit of an issue, my fear with this revamp was that you would end up falling right back into the original- opposite- problem the game began with. Having high nora costs associated with abilities leads to one natural conclusion- running cheap, stripped down champs. That's the only way to win at a meta level.

Unfortunately, that actually makes for an incredibly dull game on the aggregate. The work that was done to reduce the nora cost of units added a LOT of depth to Pox by allowing more diversity of champions and abilities on the field. In the years since those early days, it's easy to forget that virtually every unit in every faction had the same basic build logic: increase speed, 2x HP upgrades, and otherwise the cheapest abilities you could select because whoever had the most units on the board was usually the one who won.

I hate to say it, but the recent revamp seems to be leading right back to that boring, one dimension place. I think it time to push back towards the middle here. Overcosting runes just ensures they don't see play. Overcosting abilities just ensures that none of the units are all that interesting or differentiated.

SirHazyrd likes this.
  2. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

This is what negative feedback should look like. Good thread mate.

SirHazyrd, st3ck and Goyo like this.
  3. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

You should wait at least a week before telling this game is boring.

Don't even mention there are going to be constant patches adressing balance issues and spells, relics and equipments redesigns.

4. Querthose

You should work on your reading comprehension as I never said the game was boring- I said the trend right now risks taking us back to that place.

And yes, you've posted 1000 times now that there will be patches- no one has denied that. Largely because no one has yet made a single argument that is fundamentally predicated on this being the final revamp Pox will ever see.

Threads like this are intended to influence the direction of those patches. You seem to have missed that point on several occasions.

5. SirHazyrd

SirHazyrd New Member

Agreed. This is constructive. This is the kind of stuff they need to see. This is what they are going to take seriously.

6. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

The game feels more grindy and attrition-based, but champs are not being one-rounded as easily. I'm still waiting to see how I feel after a couple weeks. There's good and bad about the changes...

SirHazyrd likes this.
  7. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

We will continue to make changes and tweaks to Pox Nora, but a lot of the revamp was to address key framework issues. Now moving forward with the new framework we will be able to tune the game a lot more effectively. Leading up to the revamp's launch we had said that this would be an ongoing process and everything is still subject to change.

Etherielin and SirHazyrd like this.
  8. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

As far as I'm concerned this revamp was a success while a handful of champs have redundancies and some abilitie sets are more or less useless, leaving a lot of champs in sandbag limbo. There should be an option to not use an upgrade path at all.

Every legendary and exotic rune that was meta worthy pre revamp has been gutted into shoebox oblivion, which again is somewhat good. But this game needs for everything to be playable, as there are 1300 + champion runes and maybe only 200 at the most are viable.

While I know this is a transitional period, there is still a lot of work at retaining the power level of our old meta and refreshing the old runes to have a consiststancy. Also a lot of themes need addressing I have no desire to run a full tree folk bg anymore since most of the key champions have been altered. While having the other runes not fit into any key role other than beater...

Just my two cents.

9. Querthose

Karmavore really hit the nail on the head here with the comment about everything needs to be playable.

High nora costs are in place to deter people from playing certain runes, and while there's always the argument that these costs don't prevent runes from being played, just makes them only useful in a handful of circumstances...ultimately that's not an ideal place to land either. Certainly all runes should be more or less useful depending on the circumstance, and for some it's appropriate for them to only 'work' in a few scenarios (theme runes, for example). But at the end of the day, if we're ultimately pushing for half of our runes to be runes that would only be considered in a tiny sliver of situations- the game is half as interesting as it could have been.

Every rune should be something worth running in a competitive space. Even though this is an ideal that's unlikely to ever be the case, it should nonetheless be what we strive for.

10. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

I absolutely agree although I hesitate to say that the revamp was a success at this point since realistically the revamp isn't even close to finished.