The old skill > new guys debate.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BurnPyro, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

10/10 would lol again

Baskitkase, SPiEkY and Pixyrus like this.
  2. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

Waiting for someone to notice that, lol.

3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I am 1-0 vs Ryv and 1-0 vs Krellen.

I am BESTALLTIME.

Seriously tho, this is a question that comes out in all forms of sports/competition. Is it just stats, or championships too? And it's worse with team sports because of supporting casts, etc.

I do have some historical context. This was during the Highlander tournament Pox had a long time ago, which gave us as much information about player's performances as we had ever had.

[​IMG]

If I recall correctly, Rearea had just farmed some noobs early on and didn't play much after (17 games Week 1, 5 games Week 2).

4. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

Speaking of which, can you bring back things like Highlander tourneys or is this someone elses domain?

5. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

I more or less agree with this , the skill part of this game is becoming less and less relevant, you don't really feel outplayed often anymore..... you just feel either OP rune or draw beat.

6. Dreaddoll

Dreaddoll Devotee of the Blood Owl

in terms of sportsmanship, tactical thinking and overall behavior as a player my vote goes for Lepakko

7. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

What about players like Evoke that came up with game breaking combinations? iPox has come up with a number of powerful combinations, but I don't think I've heard of anything in the line of Dark Rising, Mobilize, Quickening, Draconic Benediction.

8. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Lol

9. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

0 - Over 9000 vs @mrpenguinrox ... More info here at WtfBbwGetRektFoxtrotL2pMobafire4lyfe.org

a.k.a. Muddy waters...never forget
    a.k.a. Get dunk't from bot lane support
    a.k.a. He eatz dominion tarics for breakfast...well brunch ...he sleeps in like a baws!
    a.k.a. Dailyz aint sheeit

10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Smoking and reaper were jokes right?

#MaxCyrus the god

11. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

To be fair, that combo isnt exactly genius as much as it is obvious nora banking.

Ipox often goes deep into ability interaction to make thinks work.

SPiEkY likes this.
  12. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

Don't be jelly you ain't on the list.

Smoking because I am a fan of chop decks (just as I am a fan of Caine/Borghas), and Reaper because I remember I use to watch him play Underdepths quite often when I first joined.

13. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Reaper sucks yo.

14. SkeletonKing

SkeletonKing The King of Potatoes

I'm a returning player who used to just play single player. This time around I'm hoping to get more into the PvP side of things.
    I understand that I'm going to come into it and basically be everyone's prison wife for awhile.

But I'd like to think that if I do someday overcome my humble single player beginnings, a high rank would be worth some respect.
    But it sounds like no matter how well I eventually do (assuming I do well at all), it'll "never be as good as the old-school veterans".

A high rank just doesn't hold the respect in the community that it used to. That's kinda sad. :(

15. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

the key to earning respect is to get high rank.... then quit.

SkeletonKing likes this.
  16. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

See, you're lying. To me and to yourself. You're answering the question "who is really skilled?" with "i liked these guys because of their playstyle". Don't do that.

Either way though, both of those players have incredibly poor records against yours truly and neither of them ever had a period where they dominated. Both of them are good players, but as far as great players go, they're bottom tier.

17. xxLordQxx

xxLordQxx I need me some PIE!

This is a great thread. I am an old school player but never have been great. At best I was "good". I miss the elite level players I used to watch and learn from. Sinwind was one of my personal favorites to watch. Its hard to judge the new players who are dominant now because the game has changed so much in balance and style. In today's game I don't know if I am watching skill or abuse of power level in runes. Lets be honest...the game has NEVER been truly balanced. However it was easier to see skill before because the amount of broken runes/combos were not as abundant.

I do believe a certain few current players could give some of the vets a run for their money. Not because they are more talented but because they just know the current game better. I dont know how many current players could actually teach me something about the game. The old guard could because it wasn't just about the most efficient rune...it was about how to use it...counting nora...spaces....threat range etc. All which has not changed....but the current rune power level makes it easier to be bad at these things and still win.

I miss poxjunkie, sinwind, ryvir, leppako, molecl and the old guard. What I miss most is learning from them and talking to them about strategy and the thought process into moves. This is possibly still available....I personally just dont know who would be a good person to speak with. I dont have the time to invest in spectating that I used to in order to figure this out for myself.

Devils is one of the few I know that is still around but I dont know how inclined he is to discuss strategy.

18. nico

nico I need me some PIE!

i used to like the games of llibanori playing necromogas, he help me build some fun bgs too, dont know if he is a good or bad player, but this its something we shall do now, help others on making fun bgs, i learn a lot playing punishing aura, judgement, geomancer bgs. never reach limited with them but have a lot of fun, remember thenidhog help me some times too, dresnar with pallys, good old times of bg building

19. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I'd say the key to respect in PoxNora today (if youre talking a respected game opinion, not as a person) has little to do with rank except if you're exceptionally good. Nobody ever cared for the kids in top 10 yesterday who are using the fotm/broken stuff or just play a ton of games. Rank just means very little.

Except if you were already good when rank was still considered to be an accurate indicator of skill (I'd say 2011-2012).

If this is not the case, you earn respect by presenting an unbiased and accurate game-related opinion. The voice of reason kind of thing. Obviously being good at the game is a plus.

I'll give an example. Jib hasnt played ranked in times or ever had a decent rank, yet his opinion on the gane is respected by many. On the other hand, hashinshin was quite good at the game, yet his opinion was generally mistrusted or not respected because he seemed to have his own agenda.

In summary, skill doesn't automatically earn you respect. Not being a tool goes a long way though.

mortal ix likes this.
  20. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I agree. If I didn't play SL, I would win so much more games.