The Secret World

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bluestun, May 30, 2014.

1. bluestun

bluestun Member

I have invested about 64 hours into the Secret World MMO recently and so far I must say I am enjoying it immensely and was wondering if anyone else has played it. Its gone the way of guild wars in which you buy it up front and then there are no subscription fees. What I really like is actually the story. Its much more mature than other mmos, not just with some of the horrible things done to people in the game but the investigative missions are actually quite difficult. There is no hand holding with directions at all, and I confess to having to look up the answer to a few riddles. I also like how you can literally be whatever you want as well. There is no traditional leveling system, instead you use xp for skills and abilities with no cap at all. I have a nice pistol/elemental dps build right now but am currently investing in pistol/claw healing with my experience.

2. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

How soloplayable is it?
    Shifting hours and timedifference means that I cant consistenly play with a regulair group of people so soloplay is a must for a game to be worth my while.

3. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I prefer my MMOs solo too. That's one thing I liked about Guild Wars when I was playing it. I could always find a random group to join to run the next leg. Once the legs started getting longer I had to stop playing, since I didn't have time to complete a whole one.

4. bluestun

bluestun Member

The Game is very soloable other than the instances. Its what I like about this game, the story actually isnt half bad so I can enjoy taking my time searching for all the missions in an area I can. Also the templar mission complete texts are also pretty funny every time. I dont know if illuminati and dragon are the same or different

5. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

is there a trial

i'm too lazy to google it so i rely instead upon you guys to tell me

6. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

Why play an mmo if looking for the solo experience? >_>

7. BansheeX

What part of my post was unclear as to why?

8. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

MY EXPERIENCE OF FUN TRUMPS YOUR EXPERIENCE OF FUN

l2me

edit-also trials?

9. bluestun

bluestun Member

To my knowledge no, there isn't a trial version

10. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Often it is because MMOs are growing and getting new lore more often, so I don't have to wait for another regular RPG to be released.

11. bluestun

bluestun Member

It really feels like a regular rpg at times. There is a main story mission and then regular missions you pick up from people around the world and each one comes with a cutscene and voice acting

12. BansheeX

Anoteher question. Is there a need to spend real money in the game after you have purchased it in order to get better equipment or other advantages. Just checking becasue I am not interested in a game like that.

13. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Lord of the Rings Online is probably the most soloable mmo I've played. There is raid content that you will be denied of course, but there is more than just boars in the wilderness for soloers to do. It also has a decent f2p system so you don't really need to ever spend money (but you will need to grind in order to get new content). The main quest line is soloable, so you aren't left with the feeling that youre playing the game wrong by soloing. But having said that, they have a really good automated system for getting pick up groups for a dungeon crawl.

14. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

I like the no-subscription model but I don't see how sustainable that is. I bought GW2 when it was half off (only 25 bucks!). Well worth it.

15. bluestun

bluestun Member

There is no need to spend any real money to get anywhere in the secret world. Money is mostly just spent on cosmetic things for your character. There are a few mission packs you can purchase but it isn't required for the main story at all. Like I said before, I am 60+ hours into the game mostly soloing with an instance now and then and I am extremely close....... to reaching the halfway point haha

16. BansheeX

Allright. Thank you for the answers :)