The two semi-aquatic plants

Discussion in 'Forglar Swamp' started by Capitulator, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

So in Sok's "quick hits polling" thread the removal of semi-aquatic from some plants was brought up (this is Mandrake and Death Lily). I've finally got back to playing a plant BG while keeping this in mind and I've decided I'm against a change.

Firstly, both champs would be shoeboxed by adding +1 spd as they'd be way too expensive. I think it comes down to being bad synergy with their low dmg. So it's really just removal of Semi-Aquatic and no other change.

One issue I saw raised somewhere is early font capturing. But in current maps early fonts are 1 or 2 turns away. On deployment you are guaranteed water, so you have +1 spd, which makes up for the -1 spd in the second turn. So overall semi-aquatic makes no difference to their utility here.

I'm pretty neutral about Mandrake being semi-aquatic, but I think Death Lily really benefits from it. The loss of having it trundle around at 4 spd when you can't get it water is more than made up for by having it at 6 spd when you need it to attack (i.e. power turns). With 10 AP it can get 3 dragging attacks off which is fantastic (usually enabled by Undertow, Pull or another Death Lily, possibly even Slip Water). A regular 5 spd version wouldn't be able to do this and it is easy to get water for the turns you need it.

In terms of HP loss -- Death Lily has Plant Regeneration anyway so no big deal unless you leave it dry in combat. If anyone thinks this is an issue with Mandrake then flavour-wise I'd rather see it get Plant Regeneration than lose Semi-Aquatic, but that's just me.

@Atherhog
    @Sokolov