The Unholy Tomb dilemma: Tempo and Nora Gen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BurnPyro, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Runegod

Runegod I need me some PIE!

Are we really already talking about tomb again ? Global damage has always been an issue in pox and it will continue to be the reasons for that are.

1) Nobody likes playing against global damage it feels cheap and not very strategic
    2) Killing units from the full distance of the map with relics and such has little to no counter usually
    3) Leads to bad game play
    4) very abuseable

Unholy tomb has been talked about numerous times on the damage dealing part of it, if this is everyone's main concern why didn't we keep the cost at around 40 and remove the damage effect. Personally i don't like when anyone playing fw including myself can drop it behind their base and do global damage then drop some dark favor and chopping blocks and lol. It's poorly designed and the damage aspect should have been removed years ago.

2. Elric

Elric I need me some PIE!

Unholy Tomb has been actually made better now.

Never a useless deploy since it affects ALL enemy champs now.

Backlash has been nerfed to make this relic stronger.

No longer a big tempo hit since its nora cost has been substantially reduced.

All FW and FW/XX decks should have it. It's auto-deploy now.

3. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Humm, seems like Pox balance done it again.
    Jeez.

4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

No one likes useless runes in mirror matches just because things of old keyed off race instead of enemy/friendly.

It's not as big of a tempo hit but it's still going to limit your ability to deploy a champ on that turn most of the time.

The cost was reduced somewhat, but not nearly as much as you'd expect given that it now generates HALF the nora it used to (which shouldn't be left out of the equation).

Backlash changed that way a long time ago (and that change can be debated), but the real difference the recent change to UT vs Backlash is that the decreased nora gen, which means Backlash kills it 50% slower. It's not exactly a surprise - if something gens less nora, it is affected by Backlash less.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  5. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

I feel the change to tomb would have been a good thing if fw would have got a better faction bonus at the same time. I feel like the timing of this change was really bad. Now the rune that acted as the faction bonus is nerfed and fw still has this cdr bs. Some font bonuses are better than fw's faction bonus lol.

Some people might say the tomb change is fine but I doubt you will see many fw players in the higher rankings anymore. Had no problem beating zorbot's fw with some random bg I made up that day on the fw map.

Tomb used to be too strong and the faction bonus too weak. Now tomb is balanced(for a faction with a real faction bonus) but fw's bonus is still pathetic. I got rid of my fw runes, I play everything besides UD and FW now.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  6. Elric

Elric I need me some PIE!

I believe BurnPyro wrote a good essay on how Unholy Tomb is too good now.

7. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Which I have replied to.

8. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Just putting a hypothetical out there:

What would you rather have or which rune would on average give you the best benefit?

An unholy tomb on turn 1 for a 15 round game or a nora mine?

9. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

isn't the better question do I run an unholy tomb or some other fw rune in this deck? imo mana gen is no longer the determining factor. you either need the tomb as part of a comprehensive global dmg strategy, or to enable festering wounds, or you don't (in which case a grimwell or something would serve you better).

I actually don't mind the powerlevel of the skeleton theme right now (other than the still obnoxious surge 2 on the lerper). and it seems to me the tomb has a place in that deck as it allows festering wounds which in turn enables black death. I don't know what value it would have in a deck that doesn't run festering wounds though.