There is something that hasn't changed that should with this game.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Revengercm, Jul 31, 2016.

1. DrakeArron

DrakeArron I need me some PIE!

When I said it was "better" I meant purely in relation to how much money it costs to play ;).

2. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

@Sokolov appreciate the response

Some of the things I had to say were just repeated and expressed in a way that makes it seem like that was/is how the game is intended and while I can understand that, my point still stands that most of Pox is going to be re-doing. Emphasis on RE- suffix meaning again. Most of what is being implemeneted has already existed within ccd/tcgs so the word new needs to be used very restrictively. If I were to consider myself a vet I would have to say it is because I have a good timeline of what has happened from Octopi to SOE to DoGz and this newer generation of PlayStation users. However using new when speaking of drafts is nothing new. It is a rework on features removed from the game. So working/adding new features such as drafts (maybe it is more fleshed out but that is still not new)

Skirmisher was more of a new feature because we had AI matches but never in such a heavy rotation (since it pulls from everyone playing) that is a new feature. Drafts, no, it is one of those features that originally got me hooked on the game (weather it was taken away by SoE or not it was a feature and chronologically is an old feature among tcg/ccg)

I'm not here arguing ideas of what is new or what isn't new. Personally if I could work on the game and get my ideas implemented I'm sure what I suggest wouldn't fall under new or extraordinary. That is not to say what has been coming out recently is not new or game changing. I believe it was The Ronin or Coalitions that I made a comment about how I wanted runes to be more consolidate and expansions to be less expansive with the current state of pox. I understand that limiting and consolidating yourselves takes time to talk about and steer in the right direction. Almost right after Ronin it seemed like expansions were on a clear track, and I would say they are being rolled out pretty well, because I have a good sense of what to get/not expecting so much since I know it all takes time.

The point I think that is being missed is one that we all need to stop playing into and that is this veteran-newplayer segregation. I'm not entirely sure what veteran means and it certainly does not mean that you are right as a veteran. Additionally so I am speaking of the whole of Poxnora, Octopi/SOE/DoGz. I play Poxnora, I don't play DoGz poxnora, I never played SoE poxnora, I may have played during their reign, but in my eyes as gamer I played Poxnora. Yes I'm aware there were struggles and whatever have you. The reason why it is such a great thing DoGz has their hands on Pox now is because there are original/long lasting devs working on Poxnora still.

This is again another list I am not sure is more for the players or the greens. Limited Resources and Decision making are going to the number two problems of any venture. To put it in perspective, you need food(resources) for camping you can go hiking, biking, climbing, canoeing, fishing, etc (decisions) while camping. Those two problems/excuses/decisions are life lessons that personally should never be expressed as reason for why something is not done. I was raised to own up and not make excuses, I feel as a player those are just excuses.

Moving further down the list, disregarding the excuse that it was something added during SOE, we start with:

Website: Updating the website should have been your first undertaking. If not to completely step out from under SOEs shadow but more for your own sake of owning Poxnora.
    Avatars: One of those things that needed to be done; honestly the game needs to be relooked from the standpoint of avatars. play around with maps/campaigns that have transfigured avatars or something new (Idk if these get worked on again but again create more identity as DoGz)
    Cinematics/Facebook/Drafts: Features that because of the times we are in, are also expected.

The biggest problem Poxnora has is that it has so many problems that they've been compacted together. This I will go into detail further in a thread or a video.

Things like Poxbase, I'm sorry but you are wrong on this one. @Sokolov please take the time to understand that accessibility does not mean ownership. Poxbase (disregarding the issue of it being out of date currently) is a database, a compendium, builder, a rune checklist. I am not comparing Poxbase and the Rune checklist/manager/forge/trader in an unreasonable manner, I am not tunneled, this is not a tweak.

As it is now the rune checklist is its own thing, the forger its own as is the trader and rune manager. The ingame rune features are being disregarded BEACUSE of the issue that Poxbase is being compared singularly to the rune checklist, the rune manager. Poxbase is both, a checklist and a rune manager. That is the big thing idt is being addressed. They are one in the same and that means I have accessibility to VIEW (not own) whichever runes I want. If you take anything away from this it should be that accessibility does also extends to how easy it is to view that rune info.

It is not tunneled to ask for more game info, on what is a very diverse game which is the niche of Poxnora.

I think Poxnora is one of those unique games that if a Dev feels that way sure as hell players do, expectations have certainly been tempered to expect less, but directly result from what is released by Devs. If ever Devs have their expectations tempered it is with their own work and their own limitations. This is not to attack anyone but to curb the I'm a dev you're a player/vet discussion.

Tweaks or Small fixes are absolutely not what I have been talking about, I'm not asking you to tweak the website. I'm asking to redesign (which may go against your philosophy of "new" is better tha "re-do") the website. Redesign is a heavy word as it is and I understand tweak may be an easier to swallow, but work needs to be done. Claiming "there's a lot of front-end work being done" is not work in itself.

Again I might have to make a video expressing in further detail what it is I mean should it be necessary. Hardest part will be knowing most of what I'm to say is all speculative and "subject to change" once the PlayStation release is here. However I wanted to do something similar to this but gave the same excuse of, "oh the expansion coming". I'd like to repeat that this is not to be an attack on any dev (I don't interact enough to make personal attacks) or any vets/players.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  3. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

holy **** tl;dr

4. aseryen

working on a video to make clear of everything

Edit: also saving an explanation for what I'm mean about achievements for its own video.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  5. Compost

Compost I need me some PIE!

yea looks like it. I'm still skeptical about how this will work on ps4 though, I really can't imagine how this game will be adapted to console. seems like it will take way longerror to do the ammount of click work you can do on computer.

although maybe advertisement would help; has anyone ever seen a poxnora ad? the only reason I know about it is because I played it years ago. back then, the way I heard about it was an article in a pc gaming magazine. it was this segment where these two guys would pick a game every month and play each other and talk about it.

never once seen anything about pox ever besides that one article

6. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

One thing that really bothers me about this whole PS4 release is this:
    If the game is being adapted to be played in a console like PS4, how come it's not on mobile devices yet?
    I mean, I know for a fact that if I could play Pox on my Ipad, I'd probably would have never left completely.
    One of the reasons I stopped playing is because my laptop got really old and I bought an Ipad instead of a new computer.

darklord48 likes this.
  7. aseryen

Before the announcement for PSP vita (cause mobile is the future) I was looking for a mobile device to play Pox/Steam with. I believe windows tablets/phones can enter steam and perhaps this as well.

http://www.tabletexpress.com/i8-pro.html

Haven't tested it out yet and will most likely wait till after I have a vita to play with.

AS for Controllers, the steam controller works pretty well with Poxnora (there is an issue with the ingame features though (the steam controller menu appears rather than Rune Forge/Trader/Manager). I don't have much hotkeyed or mapped out yet but the A button is "a" attack so that does make the clicking less noticeable. There may be a whole new meta developed that will be unavoidable because PSP/PS4 users will have such different gameplay. It's like WoW having different camera angles now, for the hardcore players they will stick with the old school 3rd person ots but options for different perspectives are now available. I see it the same as which device you play from. It's not that PSP/PS4 will be looking at a different game, but they will certainly be managing their time differently than a PC player who will also benefit from the turn counter increase as they are not at a handicap for their turn. Although eventually if a new meta appears PSP/PS4 wont be at a handicap and as I said more of their own perspective. Interested to see how many play PvP right out the gate.

8. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Pls iPad compatible

9. Revengercm

Revengercm I need me some PIE!

I just don't think a game should die because of its genre or because it's free to play.
    No excuses.

I know it has become better. It's the reason I'm playing. Under soe I wouldn't have played the last 2 years.
    but trust me. The devs got more from me than what it's worth it.

10. Willow

Willow I need me some PIE!

lol if youve really only amassed 12% in 600 hours then you are Firking trash! in 2 years ive had and sold a complete collection twice with barely any money invested.

newsbuff likes this.
  11. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

I guess it's easier when you trade runes for nudes, eh?

12. Willow

Willow I need me some PIE!

Nah i traded nudes for nudes, the runes were just a bonus.

13. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Because both take work and a new client. So working on it for PS4 doesn't require that it works on mobile or vice versa. They are different things, though the way we are doing the new client should make it easier to have it work on mobile later.

There's no specific reason why us working on it PS4 would mean it would already work on mobile.

14. aseryen

I agree it may not be efficient to play the game on a mobile screen, same can be stated for a console. However its goes without saying that if a mobile Pox was made it would scale with the screen and most likely have custom modules for mobile devices which is why I can understand why it's not something that can just be hacked out.

However I always thought a mobile Pox would be more for deck building than hardcore playing. I'd love to have more access to my runes in a mobile aspect. Accessibility going beyond just owning the runes that is. A mobile manager would be great.

I can't see how it will be efficient to play or build decks on the console but that was made before a mobile version which has always been asked for.

15. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I can't discuss the business details, but suffice to say if a publisher came on-board to fund a mobile port, we'd definitely do that also. We may end up doing it on our own eventually, of course, but these kinds of decisions have a lot of different moving pieces, especially when you are a smaller studio like DOG.

Woffleet likes this.
  16. aseryen

The decision to go mobile and the decision to enter the playstation marketplace would have been the same decision; entering a new market. Obviously we all hope for the best with the new release, it's just a console release over a mobile release with the knowledge that you are doing a lot of rework just doesn't make more sense. I can't say which is harder to model for a console or a mobile device, but Mobile has always been asked for and would have been the clearer option had it been explored.

As a player I don't want to be thinking "oh finally" but I also don't want to be given any extra doubts which is all the playstation release has done so far. It's not that everyone has a smartphone but the vast majority will have a smart phone (that I can convince to dl a small game onto) than having a ps4/vita (which is already only part of console users). Yes there is windows/android/Ios users however I still think that the divide of Ps4/xboxone and Android/IOS is significantly smaller on the mobile marketplace. As I said, it's partially about how easy it is to dl the game, which lends itself to a mobile device.

I'd like to know some of the considerations that were taken to port onto PlayStation/vita over a mobile device. Did you figure you were getting two birds with one stone as PSP vita is a mobile device. I can understand from that perspective, that DOGz would be breaking into consoles (exclusively playstation most likely) and that vita comes hand in hand with a mobile playerbase. I hope new vita users will make it clear that mobile is the better port.

https://www.ouya.tv/

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-forge-tv

Had the decision been made to port on newer devices I think the entry to mobile would be better. Not entirely sure but I believe had Pox been announced on RazerForge or OUYA it would have been a seemless port onto the Google Play store.

http://www.nevigo.com/en/articydraft/overview/

https://www.unrealengine.com/

I know Pox is in java currently, is it being remade in c++?

17. Revengercm

Revengercm I need me some PIE!

I don't get it.

Really don't.

Why would decide buying a box of poxnora instead of buying a AAA game?

Do you really think 100 AAA games is worst than having the whole poxnora collection (until next expansion comes) because that is what it's going to take in regards of money.

In regards of time well, playing 100 AAA (100% complete) games equals having every rune in poxnora TO DATE.

I just don't get it.
    Yeah I've spent $200 and played 600 hours. I don't regret it but at the same time I would have spent it on games if I ever had console atm.
    This was just a fix for my gaming needs.

You guys have made this game better but think about it if it has been enough.

18. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

read:

Sony are Firking ********, but they are behind playstation and used to own the game, so they probably left that Bane Shift somehwere in a contract.

On top of that, the average PS4 player wants to play tabletop card strategy games, right?

#justSOEthings

19. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

I don't know how many times its already been clarified that soe and sony are NOT the same thing

But yeah that

SPiEkY likes this.
  20. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Will you never shut up

SPiEkY likes this.