Thoughts After a Four Year Break

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by goldmonkee, Jul 1, 2014.

1. goldmonkee

goldmonkee I need me some PIE!

I used to play this game :eek: ALL. THE. TIME. :confused: Hearing about a new revamp got me interested in checking it out again. I'm happy to say that the game is still very fun! Anyway, just wanted to post feedback from my perspective:

• Balance
    • Overall I think a very good job was done. Balancing so many runes is a monumental undertaking - even a much larger company (I assume?) like Wizards can only keep Magic balanced by phasing out cards. There will always be things that slip through; the most broken stuff is obvious and will get fixed. If there's a follow-through on the promise of some additional balance passes, then Pox will be an amazing strategy game. Kudos to the greens and the community representatives who worked on it.
    • Multiple immunities seem like an issue. This ranges from Incorporeal, an ability that grants Immunity: Everything Except Magic, to combinations of ability stacking that grant Immunity: All Spells And All Range And All Abilities And Etc. Of course you want some of this to promote deck diversity, but I think the scale of balance is tipping too far toward the Immunity and Resist side. It can be fixed by making specific champs viable again (ie, Lich King for FW's Magic DMG) rather than a general nerf to make the playerbase happy, or as a general nerf to such things to save time and money.
    • Similarly, stacking DMG boosters. From Amp to Surge and everything in between. Needs a general passover by someone who knows their stuff :oops:<3 Sokolov.
    • Learning Curve and Usability
      • Overall the revamp has made it easier to get back into the game (I played and observed a few beforehand, it was overwhelming). I wouldn't necessarily call it an "easy" learning curve, even with prior knowledge of the game. But it is improved for sure.
      • The Rune Checklist needs to show what upgrade options are available for the champ.
      • Ability and stat descriptions need to be correct. It's very confusing to learn mechanics when functionality doesn't match what's displayed to the player. For example, Ice Cloak says it grants "Ice Armor" - an ability that I don't think exists? There are many such things.
      • Rune Forge is a wonderful addition to the game, but it needs an interface that's friendly to sacrificing multiple runes quickly.
      • I like the free-to-play model, it seems acceptably fair.
    • Community
      • Overall it's 50/50 of nice people and ********. Not bad for the internet.
      • I haven't seen any OWL presence within the game. It's always nice to see some green around; and no moderators either? Welcome to the jungle, I guess - I'ma go berserk on some people :mad:

PS - It's been really wonderful seeing some old friends, and meeting new ones. Please do feel free to talk to me about whatever (but especially about dedicated FF play).

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    Tweek516, egami, Etherielin and 8 others like this.
  2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

ITSA MONKEEEEEE

Grand General Mosh likes this.
  3. goldmonkee

Hello friend. You still play or ?

4. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

goldmonkee! Glad to see you back, welcome!. yup you pretty much nailed alot of what we are saying.

5. goldmonkee

Hio, you are very kind :) And I'm glad to hear it, wasn't sure since I don't have a firm grasp of every rune yet.

6. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

can't at present, but i am still around

7. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

Hope to see you sticking around then! <3

8. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

Good to see you back! :D

9. Sepulcher

Sepulcher I need me some PIE!

Glad to see you around, Monkee.

10. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

Welcome back I use to watch some of your games back in the day good to see old faces :D

11. gillo

gillo I need me some PIE!

I'd like to add... Rune Forge should not take 70% value... It's simply not worth it to forge stuff at the moment...

12. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Afaik the purpose of the forge is more to cap prices and less to forge stuff.

13. gillo

gillo I need me some PIE!

Don't be silly. DoG made the rune forge to increase rune availability and Gedden has said so himself.

14. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Well, thats pretty much the same, isn't it?

15. goldmonkee

It's been great for me, as someone who only plays one faction. I can remember spending hours working out trades & values, now it's one minute to get (almost) any rune I want. And every rune in a pack is useful :D

DarkJello likes this.
  16. goldmonkee

Hey Moles. Don't have time like before, but I hope to play a few games here and there for long time to come~

17. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

This monkee chap seems the positive sort. Glad that u returned to Pox. +7, would read again.

18. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Ya don't say? Long time no see. Good to hear your back.

19. goldmonkee

It makes me happy to see your names. Going on a total nostalgia trip here :)

20. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Please see the link to Mass Shard in my signature for a player-made solution to this.