Timeless Knight (FW)

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by Pico, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Pico

Pico I need me some PIE!

Well, what I really liked about this concept is simply his potential to force you to trigger Final Word. Either through Honor in Death (the new ability) or Antagonize. His role would be fodder, or a font contestor in situations that would force the enemy to send more units or spend nora to get the kill instead. Immortal would allow you to have one out on the field at all times, doing work for you, while Unique would limit your chance of drawing it and make it so you cannot have two at once. It would be a champion that if played well, could help you win out against champions of higher nora costs, or a champion that ends up just dying to a spell or relic. It would be a risk, reward champion that would be fun to play and ofer some variety to death benefit, while also being the race lich for potential lich bg's.

Timeless Knight
    "He is known throughout the ages, he has fought in countless battles, many of which he fell. Yet now he again stands in our way."

Race: Lich, Undead
    Class: Paladin
    Nora: 68
    Rarity: Uncommon

DMG 10
    SPD 6
    RNG 1
    DEF 2
    HP 42

Antagonize
    Attack: Physical
    Boon of the Undead
    Final Word
    Honor in Death
    If this champion attacks a melee champion, that champion makes a counterattack against this champion.
    Immortal
    Unique

Upgrades
    Dodge 1
    Dodge 2
    Feint
    Soulsift 1

2. Onifrk

Onifrk New Member

As a fellow FW lover I like the overall idea of this rune. Final word seems a bit unfair in conjunction to the new "honor in death" ability. If Final word was replaced with Bile explosion 3 might be more in line, ether that or a much higher cost. Just my thoughts.

3. Pico

Pico I need me some PIE!

Well my thoughts were considering the number of ways to bypass Final Word (through auras and such, -- unless it is still bugged of course) there was a decent amount of counterplay involved, it just gave oppurtunity to the user of the rune to force some death, thanks for your feedback though! I feel if it had Bile Explosion there would be too many runes who do what it does similarly, while this kind of makes it it's own thing.

EDIT:
    Another major balancing factor I feel is WINNING a fight with this champion is incredibly hard against other melee champions because of the Drawback in Honor in Death, so you would still have to invest something else most likely into a sidefont to actually cap it, this would just stop your opponent from capping it/force them into using more resources.

4. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

The interesting thing about this champ is that, eventually, the opponent may start running out of spell counters for final word and be forced to lose a champion (assuming you spam this champ). Soulsift seems like the auto upgrade. I like this guy, good job!

Edit: You might think about putting an ability that powers up the champ as it is damaged as an upgrade selection. For example, Tormented or Blood Frenzy could work. Impart could be a weak but interesting option for an upgrade as well since it gives a small heal and a damage boost to an ally.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  5. Xirone

Also, the artwork could be something like this...

A dwarf lies dead on the ground next to a scattering of skeletal remains and armor. Magic tendrils of purple energy are knitting the skeleton back together. The most noticeable element of the skeleton to be reassembled is one arm floating over the scene holding a small wand (or hourglass?).

Pico likes this.
  6. Pico

Pico I need me some PIE!

=o, That art sounds great heh. And thanks for the feedback! Impart maybe as an upgrade, the only thing I have against Tormented or Blood Frenzy is I had envisioned him as an honorable knight even in death. And from a gameplay perspective if he had much dueling potential he would be fairly broken I think because he already is incredibly strong without it. Perhaps lower base stats and conqueror (to prevent the counterattack in some font fights through Fear, but only so you can use it in fonts)

7. Xirone

I see, good points. Impart may be fun because the Timeless Knight can give his damage and HP to friends, in a valiant manner, only to be reborn strong as ever. Either way, this champ has potential!

8. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Timeless Knight has been noted in our suggestions doc. It is an interesting suggestion, seems to have a lot of abilities, that may need to be cut as we start taking balance passes. I linked the notes to this post so feel free to make tweaks to this rune.

9. Xirone

An alternate idea, instead of making Honor in Death, is to give the champ Grant: Assault and maybe Mobility? I am not sure if Grant: Assault can target an opposing champ, though. It would have a similar effect, though.

10. Pico

Pico I need me some PIE!

Well the three core abilities Are Antagonize/Honor in Death/Final Word-- and kind of Immortal. Originally I did not have antagonize on base and it was an upgrade, but it would just be autopicked because of it's potential with the champion I feel. Other than that Boon is the Undead racial and Unique was a drawback, Feint seemed like fairly good upgrade because of it's ability to help proc/proc honor in death (if it is considered a melee attack at melee range or just an ability-- I have not had enough experience with the ability) but it could just be replaced with a stat bonus.

11. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

I re-ordered the abilities in the doc to give more focus on the three you mentioned.

12. jayscales1

jayscales1 The King of Potatoes

I love the idea of this champ, the lich race is optional, when i think of rising again i think of bones or zombies, its efficient for how easy it would kill another champ and immortality puts it over the top a little. my view of the champ more focused around the 3 base abilities and bc hes timeless knight his class seems like it should be knight?

Timeless Knight

"He is known throughout the ages, he has fought in countless battles, many of which he fell. Yet now he again stands in our way."

Race: Skeleton/ Zombie, Undead
    Class: Paladin/ Knight either or
    Nora: 68
    Rarity: Uncommon

DMG 10
    SPD 6
    RNG 1
    DEF 0
    HP 38

Antagonize
    Attack: Physical
    Boon of the Undead
    Final Word
    Honor in Death
    If this champion attacks a melee champion, that champion makes a counterattack against this champion.
    Unique

Upgrades
    Dodge 1
    Dodge 2
    Feint
    Soulsift 1

13. Pico

Pico I need me some PIE!

If it were not to have Immortality I would also have it not have Unique, the thing about it is I felt those abilities did a thing in balancing it, since with the FW bonus it's not like its CD would be significant anyway, the Immortality drawback coupled with Unique limited your ability to spam it. Or even your ability to draw it in some cases since you can only have one per battlegroup.

The thing about it is, good counterplay and positioning can counter this champion, and if the owner say- spends nora to allow for this champion to get a kill, then it was not very efficient.

I felt the class should be Paladin because Knight is really an obscure class with nothing going for it, while if he were a paladin he could potentially go in IS/FW pallies. And I wanted him as a lich because liches are notoriously immortal/hard to kill, and the lich theme could really use some expansion, moreso then skeletons or zombies.