Traps are a trap?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nautilak, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Nautilak

Nautilak Devotee of the Blood Owl

I'm a long time pox player that no one knows but I'd like to think I've got mediocre to average skills as a casual type player.

Reading over the Renovate thread that popped up I saw a lot of talk about how it was an ability to counter super champs and about the ability creep that Pox Nora can be perceived as suffering.

Now I'm not a top player or probably even a remotely good player but yesterday I was in a game against the SP Renovator and it was hitting my Salaman Trapper for 22 or so damage a hit.

Now while that is a high amount I just saw the Renovator as being proficient as it's job: punishing champions with too many abilities.

But I did get upset. I didn't mind the damage the renovator did. I minded the fact that I didn't think it was damage my salaman should take.

You see I don't have a problem with the countering of 'super champions' or how many abilities the designers feel is a good amount.

But I realized yesterday that if he had hit my Ferren Ninja in the same battle group for 20-some odd damage I would be fine with it. I think ninja is 'worth' that renovate damage.

But I don't think trapper is. He's not got poor stats and he has stealth and his mess of traps but that was the issue: I didn't feel like all the work I had to do to use those traps was worth the 22 damage he was being hit for.

One detection unit and it was all over for him and his uses. Now this could be my poor skills as a player showing but even in the battle group I built to abuse traps, gale, dragging attack, knock back: I didn't feel like it was that great.

Are there some abilities that are just too much work for too little outcome?

If a more experienced or better player has tried a 'trap' battle group and done well I'd love to know! I'd love to be a better player.

But I feel like this begs the question of whether or not the problem is just the number of abilities or also the quality of those abilities?

So to better and more experienced players I have to ask: Are traps a trap?

2. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

So... whats the problem? the renovators ability or the fact that weak champeons full of weak abilities count as superchamp for the Renovator damage?

The trap ability is an acient mechanic that could use some buffs, you are basically paying for a champ that might be a waste (ALL bgs have some kind of detection), you need a lot of support to move the enemy around and very good positioning..
    I play a full trap bg, i will post it later with the strategys i use.

3. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

Trapper is one of most op runes currently, and ninja is not even close to him.

4. Nautilak

Nautilak Devotee of the Blood Owl

This would be the issue at hand then.

No, a 'weak unit with weak abilities' shouldn't take damage intended for a 'super champion'.

Also if 'traps' are an outdated ability they need brought into the modern state of Pox Nora.

But I have to ask, if a new player were to see this or another casual player such as myself hoping to improve, what kind of answer would they get about traps and abilities in general?

In just this instance with only two responses I have one player saying the trapper is weak and another OP.

Regardless of whether one answer is sarcastic, right or wrong it still stands that there isn't really an answer or conversation about it.

How should I or another player seek to improve if no answers will be given?

While this may seem silly or like 'common knowledge' to an experienced player to a casual player like me it isn't.

5. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

If you have doubts that trapper is op, go watch any top player running FS or FS split.

6. Kampel

1) Trap were already note by DoG admins, i made a thopic about them about 10 days ago and Senshu sayd they already added it to their "to improve" list, we need to wait now and spam the "Rune ideas" forum with good justified new mechanics.

2)As I already told you, traps are a risky ability to build a bg around, you need a LOT of support from other champs and ways to deal with enemy detection and meat(champs that they just send to trigger the traps to make you waste them), and to use them correctly you need to have good positioning so that makes this kind of ability hard to master by new players.

3) I havent sayd anything about the trapper, i spoke about Superchamps and weak champsin general. Traps arn't weak either, they are actually a very good source of alt damage, being even counters to Superchamps when you stack them on a good spot and trigger a Knockback or pull.

And yes, Salaman trapper is op. (too cheap and unessesary defensive abilities)

So chill, you already got two answers, admins have already taken notice of them, player base is still growing and lots of players love this litttle colored bear traps, they will get some love.

7. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Yea, it is sometimes silly that powerful champions with few good abilities take less damage than weak champions with a load of weak abilities. FS with amphibious on everything and its mother and often not-so-useful leap rank 2 ... It huurts

8. Kampel

The tittle of this thread leads to discuss about the Trap abilities, to talk about Renovators you can go here: Redirected

9. Laloo

Laloo New Member

OMG 1 card counters mine, NERF IT PLEASE