Treefolk Ideas (Import)

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by Gorebucket, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Kindled Gnarlwood (KF, Plant, Treefolk)
    DAM 10, SPD 6, RNG 1-2, DEF 3, HP 54, Nora 72

'I pity you for failing to recognize Delim's valor and wisdom. When the time comes that I can no longer fight to protect the forest, I will be honored that my death will empower those who still can.'

Base Abilities:
    Attack Physical (or Fire)
    Flamestrike 3
    Devotee of Delim
    Unstoppable
    Perseverance

Upgrade Abilities:
    Detection 2
    Foment
    Resistance Fire 3
    Resistance Frost 3

Very straightforward champ. Devotee allows him to benefit from the spell himself and Perseverance helps ensure an opportunity to cast Fuel before dying. To the tree theme he brings a strong alternative damage ranged attack, Detection, and Foment. Alternately, resistances can be taken and combined with Treefolk's Blessing for one very sturdy champ.

With regards to lore and flavor, the Kindled are simply treefolk that understand Delim's ideology. To successfully defend K'thir Forest, sacrifices and extreme measures are necessary. They fight fanatically in Delim's ranks with the understanding that, when death finally takes them, their life force will strengthen their allies.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  2. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Oracle of Spring (K'thir Forest / Plant, Treefolk, Shaman)
    DMG 8, SPD 6, RNG 1-2, DEF 3, HP 45, Nora 60

"These old roots have learned to draw forth more than just sustenance...I hear the whispers of the Nora, and it speaks of new growth.." - Oracle Vaneth

Base Abilities:
    Attack Psychic
    Psychic Ping 2
    Germinate
    Lumbering
    Ponderous

Upgrade Abilities:
    Foment
    Paralyze
    Distract
    Fascinate

Lumbering is a logical drawback for treefolk champions. But although the theme has several ways to negate the ability, releasing more champions with the ability has its problems. This champ is designed specifically to avoid these issues while still lumbering around.

The champ has both a base attack and Psychic Ping. The former allows him to capitalize on the theme's synergy, while the later allows him to deal damage to enemies he's having difficulty reaching. Ping also functions as psuedo-detection (a utility that the theme currently lacks).

Lumbering and Ponderous serve to reconcile his abilities with his low cost. They increase the difficulty in maneuvering to ping the desired target or reach an enemy with the Ap to attack. While possible to negate these drawbacks, they are significant nonetheless.

The cost of 60 nora and the Germinate ability were not given without reason. Combined, they allow the champ to be deployed and immediately spawn a Sapling (which can then perform the font grabbing role that this champ cannot). As a result this lumbering champ becomes a perfectly adequate first turn deploy.

Name and Flavor Text by Mosh. Thanks.
    :)

3. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Whispering Willow (K'thir Forest / Plant, Treefolk, Bard)
    DMG 8, SPD 6, RNG 3-5, DEF 2, HP 50, Nora 70

Base Abilities:
    Attack Sonic
    Forest Mirage - Target champion within 4 spaces is Distracted 2 and a Sapling illusion appears on every unoccupied adjacent space. CD:4 / AP:3
    Absorb Illusion - The nearest illusion is destroyed and this unit gains 8 Hp. CD:1 / AP:1
    Shatter Illusion - The nearest illusion is destroyed and the nearest enemy champion takes 8 sonic damage. CD:1 / AP:2

Note: Shatter Illusion would not be part of the attack chain.

Upgrade Abilities:
    Encourged
    Swap 3
    Distract
    Fascinate

Forest Mirage boxes the target champion with illusion Saplings. Melee champs will have to waste an attack to break free and ranged ones may need outside help to do so. These illusions count towards Surge Plant and are also valid targets for Transplant. The champion can also absorb them to recover health or destroy them to deal damage. Naturally, Mirage would have a cooldown of several turns and would probably destroy existing illusions when recast to keep them from accumulating (like Deception). Upgrades are just extra options.

balootwo likes this.
  4. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

If you get time, you should find and maybe update your mushroom champions. I really liked those mushroom guys (as well as your treefolk, of course).

Edit: Also, sorry for posting before you were done with your ideas. :(

Gorebucket likes this.
  5. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Infested Gnarlwood (KF, Plant, Treefolk, Arthropod)
    DAM 8, SPD 5, RNG 3-5, DEF 3, HP 50, Nora 65

Artwork: A cobweb laden gnarlwood with spiders crawling in and out of it's many holes and crevices.

Base Abilities:
    Attack Poison
    Chuck Spider
    Creep and Crawl
    Propagate Spiderling
    Lumbering
    Take Root

Upgrade Abilities:
    Vengeful
    Consume
    Absorb
    Poison 2

This a cross theme champ meant to provide both an interesting addition to Treefolk and combines with Tree Spider and Tireless Harvester to create a full faction arthropod module. Chuck and Propagate make him capable of triggering Creep and Crawl by himself, though having other spiders in the deck makes it much easier. His combined races make Vengeful a great upgrade, triggering on both Spiderlings and Saplings, which also make excellent targets for Consume. Alternately, Absorb can help him Propagate without being killed and Poison provides a more immediate damage increase.

Lumbering helps reconcile his abilities with a relatively low cost, as does the inconvenience of Attack Poison (though it does provide an alternative damage type, which is always welcome). Take Root should definitely be removed if the extra defensive capabilities it provides prove too much in practice (remember that it can receive Treefolk's Blessing as well).

balootwo likes this.
  6. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

I almost forgot about those... will try to find them. Thanks. :D

Actually, I think those were in the old Rune Ideas forum so they're gone.

Maybe I can recreate them... Deathcap, Toadstool, Fungaloid... *thinks*

7. Xirone

Woffleet and Gorebucket like this.
  8. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Forglar Swamp / K'thir Forest Fungus Theme Champs

Toadstool
    (FS/KF, Plant, Warrior)
    DAM 13 / SPD 7 / RNG 1-2 / DEF 2 / HP 50 / Cost 74

Base Abilities
    Attack: Acid
    Deflect Acid
    Damage Shield Acid
    Resist Acid 3
    Immunity Poison
    Fungal Persistence

Upgrade Abilities
    Scour 2
    Sunder
    Unstoppable
    Plant Regeneration 3

Magic Mushroom (FS/KF, Plant, Wizard)
    DAM 10 / SPD 6 / RNG 3-5 / DEF 1 / HP 46 / Cost 70

Base abilities
    Attack: Magic
    Teleport 2
    Imbue Magic
    Resist Poison 3
    Fungal Persistence

Upgrade Abilities
    Vitalize
    Motivate
    Weaken Spells
    Spellswallower

Psychedelic Mushroom (FS/KF, Plant, Shaman)
    DAM 12 / SPD 6 / RNG 1-3 / DEF 2 / HP 48 / Cost 68

Base Abilities
    Attack: Psychic
    Hallucinogenic
    Telekinetic Thrust
    Resist Poison 3
    Fungal Persistence

Upgrade Abilities
    Psychic Jab
    Amplify Psychic
    Boost Plant 2
    Plant Regeneration 3

Mycolomancer (FS/KF, Plant, Wizard)
    DAM 10 / SPD 7 / RNG 4-7 / DEF 1 / HP 50 / Cost 80

Base Abilities
    Attack: Poison
    Poison Eater
    Contaminate
    Relic Guardian
    Fungal Persistence

Upgrade Abilities
    Relocate Relic
    Poison Cloud 3
    Toggle Attack Psychic
    Plant Regeneration 3

Fungal Persistance - When this champion dies within 5 spaces of another champion with this ability, a Sporedrop Mushroom Relic is spawned on the space formerly occupied by this champion.

This idea assumes the consolidation of Plants and Treefolk as race Plant (though only the mushrooms have Fungal Persistence of course). Firk Botanist should probably gain Fungal Persistance too. Sporegill is the hidden member of this team and Sporepox could probably be incorporated somehow.
    Vitalize upgrade on Magic Mushroom is for the 5 speed KF plants but easily skipped in FS. Boost Plant upgrade on Psychidellic gives full faction FS access to the mechanic (though Firk Botanist could probably have it instead of the Cooperation or second damage upgrade too).
    I put this together quickly so some of the ability packages could probably be improved to work better with either faction and the theme itself. Thoughts?

EDIT 1: All of these champs should have Independant as well to keep their speeds normal.

EDIT 2: Thanks, Xirone, for locating these. I'd assumed they were lost.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    Woffleet and Xirone like this.
  9. Xirone

This is my favorite of the selections posted here (it is simple, useful, and different). I also love illusions so it seems like a naturally good choice for my tastes. As far as the champ goes, what about the Sapling illusions coming into the game permanently rooted? It would be a minor and flavorful nerf to a potentially strong ability. Anyway, good job and here is a potential artwork and flavor-text to flesh him out...

Flavor-Text: "It is said that some are not able to see the forest for the trees. I may be partly responsible."
    Artwork: A Gnarlwood with many long and downcast braches/vines proudly stand among a forest of smaller Saplings. Each of the Saplings hold the exact same pose.

Edit: Obviously, my feeling won't be hurt if you don't want to use my additions. :)

Gorebucket likes this.
  10. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

I really like that flavor text. :D

11. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

Seconded.

12. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

I really like the effect of Whispering Willow, amusing syngergy is amusing.

13. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

this is a great list of would be runes (pun intended) majority of them lack what I and im sure a few others agree is the central ability of all treefolk (take root) I understand take root piled up with treefolk's blessing and greenhouse would turn these champs into unbeatable monstrosities, however the ability should be included even if it runs the risk of being nerfed or maybe you could change an upgraded ability or two to remove some of the opness that will result. Other than that ability not being included i love the ideas especially the Whispering Willow definitely a rune to go in all treefolk bg alternate damage as well as hindering the movement of other ranged champions, also for the oracle may i suggest a transfer life ability.

14. mj295

mj295 New Member

I apologize for reviving a somewhat old thread, but holy snap I love these ideas! The oracle and the Willow definitely peak my interest~ Well quite honestly, all of them do. More diversity in my tree deck is welcome :D

Also, those shrooms ideas are amazing too :D The Fungal Persistence racial fits the mushroom theme completely, and not to mention I just wish we had more mushroom champs so I could finally make a BG out of them xD As far as stats go though, I'm not good with balance and such so I cant discern if op or otherwise.

But Good ideas, I love them! I hope, if anything, that the mushrooms are considered (I really want a BG with sporegill <3)

15. Gaiaix555

Gaiaix555 Member

Everything looks great, and I would never be against more treefolk and FS plants.

Great ideas, get a greenie in here!

16. mj295

mj295 New Member

Again, I second this! Also, looking back into it, as far as Fungal Persistence goes, I think you meant that the champions dropped a Mushroom Relic instead of a sporedrop (sporedrop is the name of sporegill's ability to drop a relic)

A question about this ability. If they do drop as relics, do they come back as themselves, or as sporegills? Or did I missunderstand the passive completely?

17. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

They drop the same relic that Sporegill drops, which turns into a Sporegill after the countdown (not the champ that was killed).

18. mj295

mj295 New Member

Awesome, that's what I thought initially! Now here's to hoping both sections of your ideas come to life in the next expansions! :D

19. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

cool shrooms!

20. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

I really love these shroom ideas! I'll post some after I do some research