Tundra Reformation

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by KingJad, May 22, 2015.

1. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

While we are at it, how do you mind dealing with splits bonuses? It seems like the variety is far more rewarding than bonuses most of the times.

2. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

Was actually going to comment on it as well, nothing was ever promised to ST, at best it removed under the understanding of two things, 1 it was hopefully going to be the first step in removing the 3 speed bonuses in the game IS,ST, and KF.

The second was that the three factions in question would attempt to get a speed re-balancing to bring their average speed more in line to keep the factions fast enough to play in the current meta.

I believe the font bonus should be changed but I don't in any way think it's owed to the faction.

3. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

I don't like the argument that the font bonus change is to give compensation for the removal of arctic because well its not. It was never promised and the reason I believe the font bonus should be changed is simply because it's terrible. I thought we were done with the font bonus talk and were set on -2 ap on entry but added back to general.

Pedeguerra likes this.
  4. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

It was a personal opinion thrown as a fact. Sorry.

It was forged back when IS got it's font bonus replaced and we lost Arctic bonus without any of our problems solved or looked at deeply. (That was the time where Calisk was trying to push terrain theme but aparently Gedden and some anti-ST dudes didn't like it and messed it up)

I didn't meant to relate to a promise or anything.

5. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

I like this solution as well. Sure, against anything relocating/leaping/flying it wont do anything, but it will work most of the time, so Im good with that.
    And no, nobody promised a change to the font bonus to ST as "compensation", its just that IS got its font bonus reworked so it was a good opportunity to have our reworked as well, since a great part of it was the +1AP to all units when deployed.

6. nakaruru

nakaruru Devotee of the Blood Owl

In general I'm ok with impeding snow but not all units have arctic. I can't think of any other faction that has to work around one of its natural bonuses. It wouldn't directly affect me because I'm obsessed with flight even when I run a st split but others would run into problems.

More importantly wouldn't this more or less push leoss out of FF ST ( and the stupid monkey, which can go freeze for all I care)? People putting some into a bg already have to worry about putting things like terrain creation, freezing aura and chill, in bgs but that is controlable if the font got changed it would be something they can't avoid.

7. Pedeguerra

I dont worry too much about this for two reasons: when the font is owned, all you have to do is make sure you deploy on the last space of the font, because coming out of it wont require any extra AP; if the font is being contested, the impeding snow wont be there anyway.
    Of course there will be situations when you have to cross your own font/shrine by normal movement, but those cases will so be rare that it wont be much of a drawback. Plus, theres always Arctic Gift.

8. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

This is hilarious Pede xD...

9. Pedeguerra

;););)

10. nakaruru

I'm just going to nitpick a little, what about when you have annex for larger font?

11. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

Then they tots will deserve to be impended for being half breeds.

Goyo, nakaruru and Pedeguerra like this.
  12. nakaruru

Made me laugh so the logic of it must be sound

13. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

IS Font bonus got reworked because what was being changed WAS the IS Font Bonus. We weren't just going to leave them without a Font Bonus at all.

14. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

You don't mind the Split problem part?

15. Pedeguerra

Yeah, I think all of us understand that...
    It's undeniable, though, that the +1AP on that first turn deploy was kind of our font bonus as well, even if "unofficially".

No, I don't. As I pointed out above, I think that specific scenario won't be a problem most of the time.

JellyBerry likes this.
  16. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

I think it's fine as long as another wise guy doesn't get the idea to make our midterm a snow monkey without arctic.

17. Mausini

Mausini I need me some PIE!

No, please don't include impending snow as a font bonus. It kills a big part of all possible splits. If you really want to do so, give everything depoyed arctic for 4 turns...

18. Pedeguerra

Please explain how, because I pointed out the most common scenarios (when font is owned is a non issue most of the time, and if you dont own it then theres no impeding snow) and in now way, shape or form they "kill a big part of all possible splits".

19. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

Run banner for the non ST faction of the split (which is how split should be run because ST has the higher pool of HP most of the time). Problem fixed. It's only fair considering it's a full faction font bonus and should only benefit said faction.

20. Mausini

Mausini I need me some PIE!

As you said. In the most common scenarios.

Scenario 1
    You deploy a non arctic champ at the border of your deployment zone. Perfect. Everything is fine.
    But then your opponent moves a ranged champ in a position where he can double tap you the next turn. You need to disengage but hell... there is impending snow everywhere.
    NP. You spend that 2 or 4 ap but now you don't have the possibility to contest that ranged champ the turn after because... THERE IS IMPENDING SNOW EVERYWHERE. -.-

I can give you plenty examples where you slap yourself in your own face with impending snow.

Scenario 2
    You just contested the font of your opponent. Yea. Well done. You are a tiger. And you did it whit that lovely champ of your split deck. (But non arctic but hey.. nobody is perfect!)
    Now lets move to your that shrine you need to kill but hey.... FIRK! THERE IS IMPENDING SNOW RIGHT IN YOUR FIRKING WAY...

Another one?
    HA! Galed that nasty guy out of the font, cced him and at the same time you galed your super duper non arctic champ into the enemy font. (You achieved the 7. gale force dan. Congratulations!)
    YOU DID IT, YEAH. Now just move back to that poor cced enemy champ and give him what he deserves.

But hey... YOU CAN'T! Oo THERE IS IMPENDING SNOW EVERYWHERE... HOW COULD THAT HAPPENED?

Implementing something that covers "the most common scenarios" is a bad idea in a game as complex as pox is. It needs to be fail save.