UD deck without spells working rather better than expected.

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by Fentum, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

https://poxbase.com/deck/czc3Bcxc4@c6-c-CzMc99C5_czBCuTC33c1Fco5cuPCtGr2rAr40r20E1UENe2K

Just for fun, I thought I would try to run a deck with no spells.

Blow me down if it isn't more effective than my usual decks. It has been very interesting to be forced to play without Fading Recollection, Demolish, Shatter, etc. Many more champs out and surprisingly effective relic / equip action.

Played eight (edit: 13) lost none so far. All for fun though.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    spineyftw likes this.
  2. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

A lot of players lose just due to ineffective spell usage when summoning is better.

This is a good idea to understand just how little u need to keep using spells ( Though they make the difference when it matters )
    :)

Sokolov, poinl, SPiEkY and 1 other person like this.
  3. Fentum

Agirgis speaks the truth. It is good practice without spell crutches. I have discovered a number of new ideas that I knew existed in my sub conscious but were not front of mind. In particular the use of jab champs and cheap relics for the couple of damage point kills.

In reality, I think I will add Fading Recollection and Dark Pact. That's it. fading for the superchamp / damage immune occasion, Dark Pact to protect the Ireguard.

Now 18-1 with the original no spell deck.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    SPiEkY and Agirgis1 like this.
  4. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Every now and then, I'll play deck with no spells to remind myself that spell spamming is why I lose games.

Fentum likes this.
  5. Revengercm

Revengercm I need me some PIE!

Sacrifice to summon a champ?

I usually use sacrifice, split personality, mad echoes and demolish. Sometimes shatter.

6. Fentum

Shatter and Demolish were two of my favourites. I now run a Deep Elf Scout and Stitched Librarian for anti equip (and detect. and alt ranged). Works well. Previously I just ran the Scout.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  7. Fentum

8. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

need sacrafice mate

Fentum likes this.
  9. Fentum

@themacca thank you very much for the suggestion.

I have been running UD since 2008 and ALWAYS had a Sac in my BG, even at 20 rune BGs. Often 2xSac.

It was with a heavy heart and worried head that I ran several recent 'normal mixed rune' BGs without one. I really haven't missed it at all. In the old days, nora was always tight, but nowadays, I find that I have plenty of nora with which to do as I wish.

In my non-spell BG, I did, on two occasions, take longer to win a match when a Retri on the avatar would have been much quicker. I have now taken a Retri rather than a sac in my 'few spells' BG as posted here. Avatar kill / pesky champ kill when necessary.

Sac v Ret has always been an interesting debate. Until now, I usually took one of each and was always a Sac fan. Now I am either Ret or nothing at all.

But I really appreciate your help and hope it opens further discussion.

SPiEkY likes this.
  10. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

I run 1x Ret 2x Sac totally worth

Fentum likes this.
  11. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I've (at least lately) been going 2x Ret and 1x Sac, but if I'm short on room, and can only fit one, it's Ret all the way, at least until they fix Avatars not having Spell Resistance.

Fentum likes this.
  12. Fentum

@themacca, @SPiEkY

I would very much appreciate an opportunity to play either of you. I am on the boards quite often, but I am very low level as I just play unranked. If you wouldn't mind slumming it for a while, it would be great to see how you run UD.

13. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Sure man, if you see me on, just shoot me a PM, there's a 60/40 chance that I'm afk, though, so don't get offended if I don't reply right away.

Fentum likes this.
  14. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I actually ran something similar, but it was way back when, with Nora Perals, and FF FS Tortuns, when Tortuns Trade was passive, well before the pillage scandal.