UD/FW Grindhouse

Discussion in 'Split Faction' started by kalasle, Jan 17, 2015.

1. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

As a result of messing around with Truce and using Tome of Hate to counter the shrine damage, I looked around for what else Tome could setup. Cue Nefari Torch.

This is the second draft:

http://poxbase.com/deck/C6qc4mc93c9fcpLCdYc75cw4c33ckycuAc4WcuPcqc1vs8sws7Fs7dSARkr20r1r8e3te2g

Most FW/UD BGs with Torch have been about blitzing down the opponents shrine with a barrage of sources. Instead, this is Torch as a secondary tool. ToH already helps to make Death Guard, Mason, and Berserker function, so it's benefit as a Torch counter is incidental. Other than that, the components involved are light on synergy right now. Sacrifice is a great combo with Dusk Creeper, Masochism works well with Death Guard, and the skellies from Dark Rising get bonus damage even if they don't have boost. Stitched Librarian might be a bit greedy, but he works well with short-cycle spells like Sac and Maso.

I'm unfamiliar with UD, so comments on that half are especially appreciated.

Woffleet likes this.
  2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Here's a variant:

http://poxbase.com/deck/CaClQc4mc93c9fcj0Cw4ct6CMc5_C7Dcqs2=s5fsnSAsDR1qRkr1r8e3t

There are a couple more things going on with this BG: the addition of Chopping Blocks (governed by a different Block philosophy) and the champion composition that facilitates Execution Order. This BG was inspired by the Bloodbow. Each of the champions brings either a key piece of utility, incredibly durability, or monstrous damage. Things like Bloodbow, Gahlroon, and Abomination bring the pain, Blocks finish of the enemies, and Sacrifice and Goresplosion - a speculative pick - blast your own units out of the way before the axeman takes them too.

I'm not sure if the Grindhouse combo of ToH + Nefari Torch works as well with that setup, but it will spin off into its own BG if need be. The Redcaps probably wouldn't be there if the spell lock wasn't a part of the BG; I have them in to put the fear in opponents who have already been casting spells. It may be too greedy to imagine that producing a kill. Maybe 1 Torch is a better option? It feels like a late-game plan for a list that otherwise looks mid-range to blitz.

Woffleet likes this.
  3. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

Great BG! Had a great time playing against it!

4. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Still needs some tweaking. I'll post the third list I am running, which is another variation on these. And yeah, really fun games, thanks @Woffleet !

5. narvoxx

narvoxx I need me some PIE!

Are really like this stuff, and that other (chopping block) BG also looks interesting. UD is certainly a good partner for that type of deck, and I really liek the usage of Nefari Torch with Tome of Hate in this deck. I don't have the torches right now but I really want to try it, probably going to hope to get lucky in some skirmishes and try out a bunch of different things, if I find anything interesting I'll get back to you

6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Awesome. There are a couple versions of the list at this point, some without ToH/Torch/Blocks at all, but I do think those are the coolest parts of the split.

7. stormyorky

stormyorky The King of Potatoes

Is there a way to decrease the nora cost of relics? Your decks depend on many relics.

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yeah, you can use Mason's Spire, which works pretty well depending on what exact relics you're using. I've started to migrate away from relic-heavy builds after getting blown out by Unstable Powersource and Font Eruption. I think that match-up is just too rough for the BG to be viable. For the most part though, Spire is itself a tempo-hit, and you're better eating the higher cost and rolling on.