Uneeded Races and Current Race Consildation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dwlr, Feb 17, 2015.

1. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Goblin + Imp = GIMPS?

Leadrz likes this.
  2. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

The only issue with archetype is that it would NEED to be on the rune as another stat and explain what is included in that archetype which could be messy.

With the undead archetype archetype it's pretty straightforward/common sense what would be considered but once you start getting into something like Faye Folk, or elementals, dragon folk, or wee people they become much less straightforward on what is what.

3. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

if you mean that what archetypes a champ falls under would have to be listed on the rune somewhere, yeah. space is limited. you could have it appear in a pop up box when hovering over the race or class.

they don't have to follow strict genus/species style rules. and not every race would necessarily have to be under an archetype. just use them where needed. for example demons, undead, beasts, amphibians, dragonkin, constructs, giants, arctic would be the main ones I would think. You could group dwarves elves and barbs under a 'humanoid' archetype but there really isn't a game need to do it. for some races its a judgment call as far as flavor goes I agree.

all the classes though would easily fall under the main archetypes (warrior, healer, ranger, rogue, mage) or be some combination of them.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  4. Myrrh

Myrrh New Member

Looking at the Rune Checklist for all the current races I favor less races. More races would be all right, but if they'd be as insignificant and lacking in number as Centaurs or the like then no thanks. There's like fifty races (not including the ones that list the race as having zero runes, dunno why that is), and twenty-two of them have twenty or less runes to them. Twenty will seem pretty arbitrary, personally twenty is a decent amount but not terribly varied. Either reassign them to a well established race (and separate them again once the race can be adequately defined) or make sure new race debuts are pretty fleshed out from the start.

So you're lazy too? I mean, if someone wants to enter a discussion and offer their opinions and then gets a response, lengthy or not, yeah it's not an unreasonable expectation to have the person read it.

That said, the two big paragraphs were a minor inconvenience, but turning both of them into two with Enter fixes that up. Sure it's long and kinda intimidating, but it's like a five minute read. You're concerned his post might go to waste, if you don't want his effort to be for naught then it's in part up to you to not let it be so.

5. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

In addition to the normal 1 race and 1 class, the listing at the bottom of each rune allows for 3 (possibly 4) additional ones.
    Considering Archetype would usually just replace an existing race, space on the rune shouldn't be an issue.

6. Dwlr

Dwlr I need me some PIE!

If you voice your opinion in a discussion thread, you have the expectation to read responses and the topic of the thread or not post in the thread to begin with, that IS fair.

My post was broken down as responses to their individual comments.

Pointless complexity for one, potential bugs for another, Sok wants to eliminate pointless items in the game consolidating and eliminating skills that weren't necessary as is, so why add more unnecessary objects?

The empty races are likely going to consolidate some of the current runes, Deep Elf replacing Demon, Elf so certain runes like Elf Statue don't have to say for each non-Demon Elf and each Demon Elf, it'll just be able to use Deep Elf and Elf with the change also there won't be any issue with Deep Elves benefiting from Elf synergy.

20 is a pretty good number for a race to include, most players double up the exceptional runes anyway so that's essentially 40 options in the race, to me 14 is the minimum enough runes to potentially play that theme with only 1 copy of cards, (Highland Deck) but that's not even the issue some of the themes don't hit enough cards doubling up the champs or simply cause redundant themes or they have nothing unifying them to justify their race at all. Firks might as well just be the Psychic theme they don't have a racial and there are just a few cards that play off their race, while Jellebrium have a racial and add to the psychic theme, but don't have enough numbers to play an exclusive Jellebrium theme. Something like that cannibalizing the racial so you don't lose it and giving them to the slag theme would atleast let them play an exclusive theme deck in splits with SP. Centaurs still would have Rally the Herd if it was moved to class and getting race Barbarian or Beast would just improve them, lore-wise they're on the border to the Barbarians, and the Sarng Centaur is already a split rune with IS so it'd make more sense than just ameliorating their status.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  7. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

WHY SO RACIST?

8. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

Reading is half of the battle. The other side of the medal is writing.

Things you should do if you want your opinion to be read:

1. Avoid endless run-on sentences.
    That is impossible to read. I often use my phone to read the forums. On it that sentence alone takes up nearly half of the screen. And there are many many more of those in your posts.

2. Hit enter some more. Your run-on sentences are stringed together to so called walls of texts. Some people don't read them cause they are lazy. I don't read them because staring at them causes me eye strains which lead to headaches.

3. Get to the point. I still didn't manage to completely read anything you wrote, but I get the feeling that you are rambling at times. Reread what you wrote before posting it and trim the fat.

There are a handful more things you could do to increase the chances of being heard, but my bus ride is over so three hints will have to do for now!

Sealer0 and SPiEkY like this.
  9. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

Dragonkin has long been an "archetype" under which Skeez, Drakkies, and Dragons have long been identified. So it is not as though this notion hasn't existed in one form or another for quite some time.

Sealer0 and SPiEkY like this.
  10. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

If any race needs to be consolidated it is Undead. It should be similar to Dragonkin.

Credit to MovnTarget for this idea.

11. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

just like undead and demon exist in a formal context (certain abilities and runes key off that designation). the problem lies in treating them just like other races and so are triggered by things like vengeance. by officially splitting 'race' and 'archetype' you create the design space to treat them differently both in reordering existing effects and when creating new ones.

Poxbrothers and iPox like this.