Unholy Tomb. Attempt at a rework

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by BansheeX, Mar 26, 2014.

1. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

Unholy Tomb is once again targeted for anerf in General and it´s almost a quarterly tradition ;) So with that in mind I gave it a short to rework it.

I tried working a proposal together to make UT less of a hit and miss nora generation. On small maps its useless 9/10 times and on large maps its to good 9/10 times.
    Its global damage was an requirement in the old days of 20 runedock where FW was forced to rely solely on attrition and Festering Wounds, but we are more than that these days and Festering Wounds is so overcosted that it virtually never sees serious play..

So with this in mind I suggest this:
    Unholy Tomb
    Nora: 30 HP: 25
    This relic has Desecrated Zone 3 (Areas within 2 spaces of this relic is Dead Magic Zone)
    At the beginning of your turn, you gain 5 additional nora and the nearest opposing champion within 6 spaces becomes Cursed 2 (Or Soultapped) and lose 5 HP.

My reasoning is:
    It will be slightly more expensive than Nora Mine for the same nora generation (Unless they have Nora Miners in which case Nora Mine is better).
    It will have synergy with Witches/Curse and DMZ interaction.
    The Loss of Life fits the old flavour of the relic, its art/animation sprite and the flavour of the runes text

Constructive flame free input is valuated :)

A single thought from my self: Should a condition be included to prevent a bg with 2 Nora Mines and 2 Unholy Tomb? I think it might potentially be a problem.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    yobanchi likes this.
  2. Comissar

Comissar I need me some PIE!

That looks like quite an interesting re-work, actually. I could get behind that, kudos.

3. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

The sprite animation is what made me like this suggestion.

4. BansheeX

Thank you gents. I am glad to hear it :)

5. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

I could get behind this change.

6. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

I think this steps on the Chopping Block's toes a bit. Or more, it steps on the potential rework of a chopping block.

Also, it might be hard to justify putting any form of nora generation within 6 spaces of an enemy. Especially as they have a turn to destroy it or move away before it has any actual effect.

7. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

Try rereading the effect :)

8. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

I like your idea, possibly having it trigger initially on deploy at least for the damage portion. I do agree that it would go awesome with that animation.

Some rough ideas:
    1) Soul Collection, dead eater
    (would love to see more relocate relic potential targets in FW on champs/mason's spire. I don't like relocate self that would just be lazy...*eyes ferret hideout*)

2) Soul linked, Power Stone
    (When an IS mine and Nora Beast love each other very very much...)

3) Dark Favor. Council Spells or champions
    (A more immediate return dmg wise with allowing the enemy to play around to minimize the nora gain)

4) Amplify Disease. While this unit is in play whenever a champion takes disease damage this generates 2 nora. (this does not include damage from diseased.) Ala rever akikos for code.
    (Possibility for disease theme? That sounds crazy)

9. BansheeX

Thanks for the input Yoban :)

Before posting it I toyed around with letting the damage/curse portion trigger on deploy but decided to let it go. I think it would have to cost to much if it had on deploy effect, since it would in essence become a finisher as well as a norageneration. It would also sort of step on the toes of Defiling Spinel and Scouring Jasper.

My thoughts on your 4 other ideas:
    1. If Relocate Relic was something FW had more of (and on champs that could be used as a stable) this could have some merit but as is I think it would be a waste.

2. We would have a hit and miss relic again and would be forced to wait deploying it until the opponet has A LOT of champions on the field. Soullinked gives 10 hp pr. opponent on the field (and if no opponets is on the field it gets destroyed) and Powerstone costs 15 hp pr. use. Costing it would allso be a nightmare.

3. I dont think we will win any friends by introducing any more global damage ;) Councill of a fashion could be interesting though I am not much of a fan of letting the enemy decide if it generates nora.

4. Since Disease is useless against other FW and Constructs it would very easely become a dead slot and tying our nora generation to a specifiq theme would be a shame.

10. Fikule

I reread it. Don't see what I wrote that isn't justified.

From the description you don't need it near the enemy to gain Nora. So why would you ever put it near anything?

And if you put it near them, it becomes inefficient in terms of Nora as it would get destroyed. At the same time it steps on the toes of chopping block by having this dual use as a loss of life source.

Surely the idea should be to make the way it generates Nora more interesting and balanced rather than giving it an additional effect aimed at a completely separate use-case to Nora gen.

11. Dolphinllc

Dolphinllc Member

Nora generation and front line effects never go well together. Go all in and suggest either mechanics that are entirely rear guard, or make it worthwhile to contest a font with.

Flavor wise - tombs, crypts, sources of death and dead things are where FWs power comes from. It makes sense - just like ST has a cow that spurts nora, FS has a spell that spontaneously generates it, and IS mines it from the ground more effectively with more miners, UD sacrifices their own weak champions to harvest it, - that FWs nora comes from a dark evil place that seeps the world of its life essence - 1 HP at a time in order to steal its nora.

12. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

In the other thread I asked what the consensus is on the issue with UT. No one could tell me if it was generating too much nora, or if it was the global damage that was the issue.

I had two fixes, dependent on what the issue is.

If the global damage is the issue, change it to do no damage, but still gain nora at the same rate, 2 for every undead champ on the board. If this happened, Festering Wounds would definitely need a cost change.

If the nora generation rate is the issue, change it to do 1 nora gained per damage instead of 2 and determine a new cost.

As for BansheeX's tomb, I like it, but I would want to be sure that the nora generation happened no matter what, the damage is just a bonus, or change the radius to something like 10 spaces instead so that it is more likely to be generating every round.

13. Fikule

I would like to know if they could add Charges to relics. Possibly with the addition of something like:

Self Sufficient (This unit can only gain charges from its own abilities.)

That would open up a lot of options.

Something like:

Unholy Tomb
    Health:15
    Nora: 30

Self Sufficient
    Unholy Tomb
    (This unit has Draw Souls and Release Souls. This unit loses all charges when an allied champion is deployed.)
    Draw Souls [CD: 1] - This unit gains 1 charge for each real enemy champion in play. This ability cannot grant this unit more than 15 total charges.
    Release Souls [CD: 3] - The next undead champion deployed this turn costs 1 less nora for each charge on Unholy Tomb.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  14. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Hmm...for charges I would instead do this:

Unholy Tomb:
    Death Charged: 3
    Release Memories
    Cast: Dead Zone Voodoo

15. BansheeX

This sounds interesting.
    Might be hated a lot by the opponent due to them losing nora from Release Memories.
    My biggest beef with it would be that it would not start generating nora before we lose champions.

16. Fikule

For mine it was more about keeping with it's current purpose (enemy's for nora), but fitting the idea of a tomb as a creation point for undead.

In essence, every undead you place comes from the tomb, but if you release the soul, you get the discount.

It also meant that waiting longer to deploy something gave you a larger discount. With Release Souls having a CD of 3, it would make it hard to save up a full 15 charges in between deploys. (since any deploy resets the charges). However, a discount is a larger advantage than a refund (since you don't need the excess initial nora)

The idea being that the Tomb becomes the most efficient generator in BGs where you do not plan on placing champions all the time, allowing you to focus on equipment, relics and spells more. This makes it less suitable for all BG types, for diversity.