Vegetate (Negative Ability)

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by Gorebucket, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

The distance between Lethargic and Lumbering has always bothered me. Lethargic seems largely ignorable, but Lumbering severely penalizes even the slightest attempt to reposition the unit. I would like to see something that falls between the two. Enter Vegetate:

Vegetate (-15) After moving 3 spaces, this champion gains Lumbering and Vulnerability: Fire until the end of the turn.

So, a champion with Vegetate would be able to move 3 spaces per turn unhindered, after which the cost of movement increases. The champion has a small radius in which it can move normally, but diminishing returns kick in if it tries to move beyond that.

The champion would also gain Vulnerability Fire upon making that third step, adding a risk/rewards element. It might be advantageous to move 3 or more spaces, but the player gives the opponent an opportunity to deal increased damage for doing so.

The type of champions I am suggesting this for are those like Patriarch and Oaken Defender who lack the range that partially mitigates Lumbering on things like Launcher and Lifegiver. With such an ability available, I could see a rough template for the tree theme being:

Long Range with Lumbering (Launcher, Lifegiver)

Proximity Boosters with Vegetate (Patriarch, Defender)

More mobile champions that are melee to midrange and can move freely.

EDIT: Alternately, it could be named "Shambling." That name works reasonably well on both Treefolk and Zombies, the two themes where I could see such an ability finding use.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    Sirius, Sealer0, Sokolov and 3 others like this.
  2. narvoxx

narvoxx I need me some PIE!

Actually pretty cool

Woffleet and Leadrz like this.
  3. TheBulwark

TheBulwark I need me some PIE!

Thats a really cool tree themed idea Gore, nice work

4. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Could also be modified to have ranks as well, for example, Rank 1 could be 2 spaces before Lumbering, Rank 2 3 spaces etc, should that be worth considering by the devs.

Anyway, it's an interesting idea, and even has some merit outside of the intended tree/plant focus.

5. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

nice work and good idea!

6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Better than the awkward, cyclic nature of lethargic. Great suggestion. Could even have vuln removed for general use.

7. Ifem21

Ifem21 The King of Potatoes

Great suggestion, but how it would work when disengaging? It will only count as one space?

8. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Disengaging is a separate AP cost. It wouldn't (or shouldn't) be about how much AP is spent on the movement, but how many spaces are moved. Same with the case of being Entangled, or moving through impeding terrain.

Ifem21 likes this.
  9. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

@Sokolov This could be useful later ;)

10. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Very neat. I would probably genericize it so that it is just Lumbering, thus it can be used on any champion reasonably well.

Actually, thinking about it more, this is a better way to implement something like Lethargic really.

Ohmin, Woffleet and Sirius like this.
  11. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Thinking about the numbers...

If this is 3 spaces then Lumbering:

5 SPD = 4 spaces move a turn
    6 SPD = 4.5 spaces move a turn
    7 SPD = 5 spaces move a turn
    8 SPD = 5.5 spaces move a turn

If this is 4 spaces then Lumbering:

5 SPD = 4.5 spaces move a turn
    6 SPD = 5 spaces move a turn
    7 SPD = 5.5 spaces move a turn
    8 SPD = 6 spaces move a turn

I think 4 spaces makes more sense.

Woffleet likes this.
  12. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Maybe but this is assuming the unit is only consuming AP for movement. Once combat begins and people are disengaging and attacking the ability would be negligible.

Also a 6 speed champ with this would look something like this:
    Deploy > 0 AP
    1 Turn > 6 AP - Move 3 spaces - End with 3 AP
    2 Turn > 9 AP - Move 4 spaces - End with 4 AP
    3 Turn > 10 AP - Move 5 spaces - End woth 3 AP
    After 3 rounds 12 spaces moved.

A 6 speed champ without the ability would look like this.
    Deploy > 0 AP
    1 Turn > 6 AP - Move 2 spaces - End with 4 AP
    2 Turn > 10 AP - Move 6 spaces - End with 4 AP
    3 Tirn > 10 AP - Move 6 spaces - End with 4 AP
    After 3 rounds 14 spaces moved.

So after 3 rounds the champ without the ability only moved 2 more spaces and ended with 1 AP less.