Veilwalker's role is too weak to be played

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Anotherblackman, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

Before you included a veil walker for the purpose to give your Champions some protection from the enemies spells by "walking the veil"

Now since she is a glorified tariff unit, her use in many battlegroups(especially barbarians) is now overshadowed. She brings nothing special especially for her cost. Just what I noticed on her.

Anyone else thinking about using her still cause I think she is dead.

2. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

Shes a debuff unit with hex and soften and 13 damage to hit people with. Lack of spell protection doesn't detract from her ability to help out.

If you are looking for ranged spell protection I would suggest the favored nomad with weaken spells. We have a few units that have council/ weaken spells, and other similar abilities. If we could get inquisition put on a few more, and other abilities in the spell control family we could run a heavy counter spell bg fairly easily.

3. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

Obviously she has always been included for cast. Hex, tarif and whatever else were secondary abilities for general efficiency.
    Whisperghast still has unique role as beckoner, apprentice still has unique lich support kit, but vw now indeed has nothing unique. She may still be meta as just efficient champ, but not unique at all.

4. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- It is painful for me.... She gets barbarian race finally...but in a bitter twister of fate that no longer means anything. Champ itself is "useful" ...but I think OP is meaning "weak" in the role sense not power sense.

5. Tarth

Well she is fairly good at her debuff roll, what role is she weak in exactly? She doesn't have spell control role anymore so by defult she can't be weak in that role. If you look at her as a debuff or pwer turn enabler she does that job fairly well. If anything vaporize could be replaced for something to enhance said role or for one of her upgrades such as tarrif so you dont have to pick it and it in turn helps promote barbarians kill something for benefit style. Like wise she could get the shroud of almara revive ability to bring back a recently killed champion and that could fit the veil walker motif.

6. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Tarrif and hex, sounds gud. She still hits hard and has better defense now. If you run 2 then soften on the other.

7. Anotherblackman

She is good at being a ranged unit yes, but When I try to even think about running her wit my paladins, Just so many better synergistic options.

If anything I'd give her shadestrike or something that provides DMZ.

That was the best part about her, now what I look at her im like... Why should I add this.

8. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I agree that the best thing about here was Cast: DMZ. For some reason thats not available. Aside from that, it's still a great unit. Maybe not a slot in paladins but surely some room for her in Barbs.

9. Tarth

thats mostly because the synergy in CTE is just about paladins most of the time. Shes a shaman, so she really only has the shroud or CTE to work off of for restricted synergy. That being said, she does offer ranged AOE sunder and a dmg debuff which kinda sorta works well with the CTE control modules out there.

10. Anotherblackman

She isn't a combat ranged unit, she is support. Defenseless Makes sure of this. IF you really want AoE sunder, run the girl who has haste and divine favor 3 as an upgrade. And this is poxnora, anything that "kinda sorta works" doesn't get used, unless its for kicks.

11. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

13 base damage begs to differ. Literally nothing has 13 base damage that is under 100 nora.

She's changed, now shes a glass cannon (vaporize makes the cannon somewhat less glassy) with debuff and your choice of more debuff or tarrif.

12. Tarth

Yea she is support, debuffs, but she HITS like a combat unit with 13damge at range. Thats really HIGH damage currently especially for a ranged unit at her price range.

13. Anotherblackman

I would trade that damage for utility any day. Utility wins games more often than pure power.

Sharpshooter can out damage her any day especially with a strip armor in play while finding that D.E.A. that is sneaking around waiting to take out your veil walker in one 70 damage hit.

14. Tarth

Of course the pure combat champ can out damage the support champ with high damage. That's like saying the wild chief can out damage the Dwarven Sargent.

Point being that, while she doesn't have spell control of any type, she does still have debuff power as well as high alt damage allowing her to hit like a truck. For 8 ap she pops off 26 damage when shes not softening for power turns, or taking down a high damage unit with hex or genning you nora for killing things. The SS can only do 20 for 8 ap and has to use abilities like PS to out damage her and then its 9 ap for 26-29 damage depending on rank 2-3. You could be using far shot to out range her so for 10 ap you could pop off 20 dmg at 6-8 range.

If you want to change her, suggestion something and bring up a reason as to why it is needed. Everything is open to be changed, even good runes for the right reason. I personally would rather veilwalker lose vaporize in exchange for something a bit more useful to her role instead of a tanky option but that's just me.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    Baskitkase likes this.
  15. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Switch vaporize with soften or tarrif.

16. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

Drop damage to 10. Move vaporize to upgrade or remove, possibly add book burn as upgrade or some other spell counter mechanic. Cost accordingly