Violence not properly granting Fury

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by sharang2, Dec 3, 2014.

1. sharang2

sharang2 The King of Potatoes

There is a bug with Violence and Champions who gain races through shapeshifting abilities; they do not register champions of the secondary/acquired races as champions who 'share a race' for the purposes of Violence. This leads to situations like the one shown below; where a Draksar Shifter is adjacent to a dragon but doesn't have Violence.

This bug is exclusive to champions who gain races by shapeshifting - if a champion gains Violence from Rage Band or by gaining Race: Draksar from Taint, it functions correctly and immediately. It may be that, as Moles said, the ability is tied to the Draksar race; when a Draksar without Violence (i.e. Ravenspeaker) is Tainted it does not gain Violent, presumably because it is already a draksar. Whether or not Taint is intended to grant violence; I do not know.

Further testing -
    Rage Band to give a unit Violence while standing next to a same-race unit works as intended (Equipped champion immediately gains fury; does not need to move).
    Taint to give a unit Violence & Race: Draksaar while standing next to a Draksar works as intended (Tainted champion immediately gains fury; does not need to move). From the looks of it (Hey, what do I know?) movement, spellcast, and equipment prompts a "violence check"; where after every move, spellcast, or equip, the game checks for same-race units adjacent to the Violent champion. However, it does not seem to take into account a "violence check" after a unit uses an ABILITY to gain a race.

Ravenspeaker test:
    1. Pox Renovator (Beast) deployed.
    2. Ravenspeaker deployed adjacent to Renovator. Taint cast on Ravenspeaker. Ravenspeaker does NOT gain Violent; does gain Draconic Force. When Taint is cast on, hypothetically, The Doctor, it gains Race: Draksar and Violent. Violent may be tied to actually gaining the race.
    3. Ravenspeaker equipped w/ Rage Band. Race: Draksar; has Violent now, does not have fury (WAI)
    4. Ravenspeaker shifts to Dark Raven. Race: Draksar, Beast. Has Violent, doesn't have fury (Not WAI).
    5. I pass turn to see if it updates at EOT/start of turn. Doesn't have Fury on either opponent's or my turn.
    6. I move Ravenspeaker 1 space. Does not have fury. I move Renovator 1 space. Doesn't have fury.
    7. I move Ravenspeaker out of Renovator range; back into renovator range. Doesn't have fury.
    8. I pass turn. On my turn I repeat step 7; still no fury.

I've gotten Violence to work with any race unit using Rage Band; however it seems that Violence does not work properly with units that gain races through forms.

*Edit* Condensed another post into this one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  2. sharang2

@Senshu @Moles1909 @MovnTarget
    Can anyone explain how the selected shifter in the above photograph does not have Fury from Violence?

3. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

I'd imagine the ability is coded to only account for Draksar's - whether this is WAI or not i'm not sure.

4. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

I don't think it has race dragon.

5. sharang2

It's in dragon form. I believe it has race: Dragon in this form; but I will check right now.

Violence just asks for a unit that shares 'a race'.

6. sharang2

Shifter is Dragon, Draksar in dragon form. The tooltip is covering it, but you can see my fresh shifter's back spines peeking out from over the tooltip. The shifter in question is not under the effects of any spells or equipment that would alter its race. Other than being a dragon, of course.

I'd also like to take a second to marvel at how mind blowingly cool a dragon werewolf with TWO forms is. Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick.

Edit: Hindsight; bug can be replicated. Shifter is adjacent to a Mauler; which shares "a race" (dragon). As you can see, Shifter has Violence but no fury, despite meeting the conditions. It may be that Violence checks for races after every move; and does not update if a unit gains a race without moving. This is understandable, as it makes sense to check for adjacency after every move. If Violence is currently coded to check after movement, I could test this by casting a spell to give a race (Taint or Dragonfear) that should cause violence. If Taint on a non-draksar adjacent to a Draksar does not provide violence, it lends creedence to the "check after move" theory. If Violence is currently coded to check both after move and spellcast, Taint should provide violence + fury; which means Draksar Shifter might be the only unit which gains races without moving or spellcast. A possible fix would be to update Violence to check before an attack is made.

I don't have Dragonfear; I will attempt to show this by Tainting a nonviolent nondraksar later tomorrow. Alternately, it may be a bug with just Shifter. Wouldn't mind someone else trying to replicate by putting a Draksar Shifter in drakkie form next to a dragon; then casting Dragonfear. It will have Race: Draksar, Dragon and Violence without moving.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  7. Moles

Moles Administrator Octopi

thanks for the extra info @Senshu will add it to the list i'm sure.

Its not likely to be fixed until after we finish expansion content though.

8. sharang2

@Moles
    Will test the Taint interaction on a non-Draksar now. Thank you for your prompt response; I understand expansion content is top priority right now but general discontent with the bugs in the game may be more of a turn-off to players new and old than an expansion is incentive to sink money into the game. That is to say; even if Ronin came out tomorrow, I would be too skittish to buy packs when I'm afraid that the state of the game will detract from my ability to enjoy any money I spend, and I'm sure I'm not the only player who's similarly nervous. When eight year old core runes are not WAI, it makes me less excited about new runes.

Congrats on your first official day and I'm really looking forward to the changes you bring; I'm sorry to pester you with bug reports on day 1. I hope that any testing I perform to replicate the bug will make your job easier, allowing for faster bugfix implementation.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  9. Moles

I never consider it being pestered - these bugs have been around a long time so its understandable people want them fixed! Hell, I want them fixed as a player!

10. sharang2

Am I crazy or did you change your avatar slightly so the owl no longer looks like it has cataracts?

11. Moles

yea I did! a player helped me out in making a better blue eyed owl

12. sharang2

lol! Well; it no longer looks blind. I thought you were going for that look on purpose; sort of a wise owl blind seer type thing.

13. Moles

Nope, i'm just extremely bad at art :p

I wanted a blue eyed owl :p

14. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Good find, this is in our bug database now.

15. sharang2

@Senshu
    Much appreciated. Confirmation from greens is the reason for players to make threads like this.

16. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

No problem, we do appreciate players making threads like these because this is the ideal avenue to address this type of subject. Sometimes it just takes longer than we would like before being able to look into them.

17. sharang2

@Moles @Senshu

Any updates? I can very reliably reproduce this one - races gained through shapeshifting do not count for Violent.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  18. Moles

I have a ticket for this - but right now expansion tickets all come before this.

I would also say compare to a lot of the other bugs on live, this one is less of a priority, as the core mechanic of the ability works, its just a rare side use of the ability thats not working.

I'd prefer to spend the time taken fixing some of the more prominent bugs until I can get the time for this one.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014