Voil Frenzy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bellagion, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

Is arguably even worse than it was before... Impatient on a 46 hp melee champ with no way to heal itself? 76 nora to get a melee physical version of Voil Skyhowler?

10letts

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Neither of those runes have a modifier - same as the majority of runes.

Of the runes that do have modifiers, the majority of them are 5 or less.

3. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Northern Cross Fanatic is in the same boat. :/

4. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

impatient sucks as an ability. It should be altered or removed.

TheBulwark likes this.
  5. Xuvali

Xuvali Devotee of the Blood Owl

My first response to the Voil Frenzy Changes were "Nope, not good enough"

That view hasn't changed after giving it a couple of tries against bots, never mind players

6. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- There are several abilities like this. Mercy, Impatient, Mercenary all come to mind as not worth there cost....by a large margin. Also the nature of them always feels bad...either over the course of 1-2 nora either way could make any of these all the sudden be OP or UP I'd guess....and never balanced feeling.

7. Bellagion

Frenzy is strange, though... I don't quite understand where all of his cost is coming from. He has basically average stats except 7 SPD and no real draw beyond that.

Just wondering, does it really make sense for Sonic Flight to be 8 nora? I mean, the abilities all added up are like, 5.
    5 Flight (also Sonic Flight doesn't give sentry) + 3 evasive - 3 vuln = 5

Not saying that this is the big problem, but it does seem weird that the stripped down Voil (ie. Screecher, Frenzy, Lancer) cost so much to bring so few stats to the table.

8. Sokolov

Sonic Flight is actually 6 nora. It got reduced last patch but was missed in the patch notes for some reason.

~

Frenzy pays ~50 base nora for stats and 26 for abilities (Dodge 2 is 10, Sonic Flight is 6, Blood Frenzy is 8, Berzerk Attack is 4 and Impatient is -2).

This is pretty on par with everything else in the game... because formula. You can argue that certain parts don't work well together, but 26 nora in abilities is hardly "stripped down." Perhaps we can shift some abilities over to base stats?

TheBulwark likes this.
  9. Bellagion

Okay, that seems reasonable. What I meant by "stripped down" was nodding more to their purpose of being general beaters with no signature abilities or elements deemed necessary for the functioning of the theme than to their having few abilities. I think the problem here may just be that Dodge sort of overlaps with the Evasive from Sonic Flight and Impatient pretty much guarantees at least -5 hp, which is pretty big on a melee champ with no healing.

It seems like Impatient becomes cost ineffective (ie. hurts you for more than 2 nora) by the first time it triggers, since it's 5 life per turn.

10. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

While we are talking about voils. Why does Voil Glarewing have dissipate? Glarewing does 10 damage (range 1-4 )dissipate is fail. I get the feeling whoever is changing abilities on voils missed the mark with Voil glarewing and Voil frenzy. Glarewing needs some love. I feel sad when I deploy it and it feels like a waste of nora.

TheBulwark likes this.
  11. urgoth16

urgoth16 Member

Yes impatient is really terrible. Why does someone lose health cause of being impatient lol.
    It should be like " This unit is Careless at the end of your turn if it did not successfully attack "

12. Sokolov

Yea, I think the Dodge comment makes sense.

I think putting Blood Rage, Berserk Attack and Impatient on the same line could help, that way you decide which of these "trade defense for offense" kind of abilities you want. And we can add a few more HP.

The second line can keep Preserverance, and perhaps add Reflexes, and possibly something to gain life like Regeneration/Life Siphon (or something else altogether)?

He still has Blood Frenzy on base in this case.

~

I might change Impatient at some point, but probably not just to make it work on this one champion.

13. Sokolov

It's actually kind of interesting as an ability: you get a benefit for people attacking with a drawback for not doing so. Unfortunately, because of the way Pox works, you end up losing a bunch of HP when you have no chance of attacking.

Note this kind of card has no problems in a regular CCG where you can attack every turn - it's a tactical game problem :D

Careless could be a very good alternative tho, I like the way you think :D

Qucas and urgoth16 like this.
  14. Sokolov

No, most of the modifiers have been on newer runes, expensive runes like Heroes/Angels, etc., or on stuff like Mastodon/Ice Wisp, etc.

15. Bellagion

Okay, that sounds like a pretty good improvement. Perseverance + Blood Frenzy seems like it'd be an interesting interaction, and Reflexes could work for those who want more of a melee brawler-type champ. I should clarify that I mentioned self-healing in the original post because it seems relevant to how other Impatient champs work, but if Impatient is made optional Frenzy might not need it. You're the designer though, so you'd know better than me.

16. Sokolov

Yea, Ice Wisp's is a fairly high one, relatively speaking, tho not the highest.

17. Sokolov

In my head, I don't mind the option for an Impatient + Life Siphon build in theory, especially when it combos into Blood Frenzy.

18. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

Careless would be good.

This coming from a man who loved making brutality barb into a cruise missle and loved Watery+ Impatient in his leoss blood mane ravager

19. Sokolov

The weird part right now is that the cost has to take the +AP into account. What would something that was just negative (careless if it did not attack) be worth?

20. Wraith

Wraith Administrator Octopi

I'll take the bullet for this one. :) My basic concept was that I wanted to make Frenzy a glass cannon with very little staying power but amazing damage output.
    The idea with Impatient and Blood Frenzy was actually to allow you turn on the missile and then nuke people with Blood Frenzy and Blood Rage or Berserk Attack. I still think that concept is sound, but I understand that Impatient looks like a negative rather than a positive, and in addition, throwing away a champ is just not part of the playstyle of Voil, or current Pox meta for that matter (Except FW). In hindsight, I think he's way too expensive to work as I envisioned him. Losing Dodge would have been a good way to make him cheaper, but I doubt a suicide champ will work at a cost of 70 or more, so -Dodge doesn't cut it.
    So Voil players, if the champ, as he currently is, had less base damage, no dodge, and cost say 65, would you play him in Voil?