Votaev and the Grim Reaper

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by Authyrtyr, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

Some ideas I had.

Votaev, the Ferryman
    Faction: UD
    Race: Spirit, Demon
    Class: Demigod, Wizard
    Size: Small
    Rarity: Exotic
    Artwork: Something similar to Votaev's Grasp but more focused on Votaev
    Flavor-Text: I feel like Votaev's Grasp already covers it Flavor text wise. Any good ideas?

Stats:
    Nora Cost: 77
    DMG: 11, SPD: 6, RNG: 2-5, DEF: 1, HP: 48

Abilities:
    Attack - Fire
    Resurrect 2
    Wrath of the Depths
    - Target Friendly Champion within 3 spaces gains Death Spawn: Imp (When this champion dies a lvl1 Imp spawns in its place)(AP: 4, CD: 3)
    Will of Votaev - When a non-Summoned, non-Illusion champion that you own dies, the cooldown on your Demon champions is reduced by 2 (See altar of votaev)
    Immortality
    Mythical
    Unique

Upgrades:
    Rite of Creation
    Cast: Retribution
    - Cast Retribution within 4 spaces, costs 20 nora to activate (AP: 4, CD: 4)
    Heal Self 2
    Phase Shift

Notes:
    Idea was to create a good late game utility hero for UD. Possibly make Will of Votaev affect all UD champs not just demons, not sure. Also, I've wanted Votaev himself as a rune since I started playing this game like 5 years ago. May be a good option as a possible Hero if we ever jump for a fourth hero for every faction.

Shadow of Death
    Faction: FW
    Race: Spirit, Lich
    Class: Demigod
    Size: Large
    Artwork: Grim Reaper type business, his cloak is all black and is oozing black nothingness
    Flavor Text: "He was here before Elsarin and even before man. After seeing his visage in person I've no doubt that intends to go on long after both have withered unto dust." -- Xulos

Stats:
    Nora Cost: 83
    DMG: 12, SPD: 7, RNG: 1-2, DEF: 0, HP: 48

Abilities:
    Attack - Disease
    Attack - Magical
    Something Wicked This Way Comes
    - If this unit is occupying DMZ he can relocate next to target champion within 5 spaces and makes an attack against them for 50% damage. This is on the attack chain. (AP: 1, CD: 1)
    Cast: Dead Zone Voodoo
    Mythical
    Unique

Upgraded Abilities:
    Shadestrike
    Deep Wounds
    Vaporize
    Bulwark: Spirit

Notes: Hoped to make an interesting FW melee unit with some interesting gameplay choices. Do you stick around and capitalize on Deep Wounds or do you play him for his mobility and fill the field with DMZ? Additionally he comes with a little bit of Spirit synergy and his DMZ interactions make him a good fit for Witches.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    Joker and jayscales1 like this.
  2. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

no incorpreal abilities? ability is a little wordy and this spirit can practically hop around the map with a 1CD onn that "something wicked this way comes" ability

3. Authyrtyr

I'm not sure how that would play out entirely. Because of the mobility aspect I wanted to reduce the damage. Although his mobility is limited to where the enemy is. Also, he has vaporize as an "incorporeal ability". You think maybe reduce the range on Something Wicked?

4. KingJad

overlooked vaporize my mistake yes the range should be reduced a bit maybe to 5
    Edit: or just make cooldown longer

5. Authyrtyr

Good thought, updated.

6. KingJad

the reason why I say this is because it has 7 speed and has an ability to move 7 spaces with 1 ap huge board hopping ability

7. Authyrtyr

It's on the attack chain so it would be 4AP minimum.

8. KingJad

it would still be one ap assuming you haven't attacked the ability grants it a free attack at 1 mana so you move 7 spaces and get a free attack and if you have a way to grant mobility then you're in the clear

9. Authyrtyr

For that reason I dropped the damage to 50%. Note, we have swoop already and with range reduction on Something Wicked it actually has the same range as that now.

10. KingJad

yes i know you reduce range I was just supporting my reasoning for reducing range or adding cooldown oh and the fact that it has vaporize to aid an escape

11. Authyrtyr

Vaporize won't aid an escape, it just makes it more difficult to kill him when he's up close, it doesn't actually enable him to move away.

12. KingJad

I'm aware, by aid an escape im pointing out the fact that he can evade attacks and get away the next turn

13. Votaev, the Ferryman man this cool Champion Keep the good work :)

14. Authyrtyr

True. Not sure about whether or not the champ is OP or not. I tried to make both champs relatively balanced. Honestly they were originally ideas for a 4th hero for those factions. I'd like to use this opportunity to mention that Hero should probably include Unique as part of its effect.

xRugolth likes this.
  15. ZWindKami

ZWindKami The King of Potatoes

I like the Retribution ability but might need to change the requirement. Instead of 20 nora cost, might be interesting to sacrifice itself and friendly real target champion to deal 1/3 of total deploy cost of both champs as magic damage rounded down (ex. for 80 nora itself and 80 nora friendly champ; 160/3 = 53 rounded down). That being the case, immortality ability will give it a good flavor (just to be fair on the nora cost and efficiency; give him soulshift ability to return a bit of nora when he dies).

16. Authyrtyr

Soulshift is an interesting idea although I did want to try and rein in the length of his ability list in line with DOG's design policy of reduced complexity. Maybe I'd replace Cast: Retribution with that ability that Erimalion has (maybe a lower rank) in which Erimalion could destroy a friendly real champ to hit the nearest enemy champ for 20 magical damage.

17. theKraken

theKraken I need me some PIE!

Should have terrif base :b

18. Authyrtyr

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think that tariffs are part of Votaev's lore. He pulls demons out of the river of sheoul to be reborn whereas the greco-roman ferryman that you may be thinking does the opposite. If the demons are meant the pay a toll to Votaev to be reborn, what are they paying him. I guess this is more of a lore question than an actual function of this rune question. From a function standpoint Tariff doesn't really add to his function, he is more designed to benefit from the death of your own units.

19. Authyrtyr

An update to this idea now that we're post revamp.

Votaev, the Ferryman
    Faction: UD
    Race: Spirit, Demon
    Class: Demigod, Wizard
    Size: Small
    Artwork: Something similar to Votaev's Grasp but more focused on Votaev
    Flavor-Text: I feel like Votaev's Grasp already covers it Flavor text wise. Any good ideas?

Stats:
    DMG: 9, SPD: 6, RNG: 3-5, DEF: 1, HP: 48

Abilities:
    Attack - Fire
    Will of Votaev - When a non-Summoned, non-Illusion champion that you own dies, the cooldown on your Demon champions is reduced by 2 (See altar of votaev)
    Immortality
    Hero - We should have a 4th cycle of Heroes. This is my submission for UD

Path 1:
    Resurrect 2
    Rite of Creation
    Cast: Retribution - (AP: 4, CD: 4) Costs 20 nora, range 3

Path 2:
    Heal Self 2
    Phase Shift
    Fire Eater

Notes: I updated this guy for the post revamp upgrade system (and tried to tone him down in the spirit of the revamp). Possibly replace Cast: Retribution with Blood for Nora. Path 1 is all abilities that interact with Will of Votaev while Path 2 is stuff to make Votaev keep himself alive. I picked Fire Eater since Votaev's Grasp shows Votaev's boat in a river of lava.